shutter count

ildafi

Oct 19, 2010
Hi...

I've got a pentax kx.. How do i find out about the shutter count. I look thru the manual but did not find anything about the records for shutter count.. Thanks

Hi...

I've got a pentax kx.. How do i find out about the shutter count. I look thru the manual but did not find anything about the records for shutter count.. Thanks

im not too sure but for me the simplest way is just to look at the camera's naming of each picture you take, like for example the most recent picture my kx took was labeled "_IGP8380" which should correspond to a shutter count of 8380 (please correct me if im wrong) cus i noticed since day one the labeling kept increasing with each picture i took regardless of memory card change, format etc

if all else fails maybe looking at the exif data might help (i use jeffery's exif viewer)

im not too sure but for me the simplest way is just to look at the camera's naming of each picture you take, like for example the most recent picture my kx took was labeled "_IGP8380" which should correspond to a shutter count of 8380 (please correct me if im wrong) cus i noticed since day one the labeling kept increasing with each picture i took regardless of memory card change, format etc

if all else fails maybe looking at the exif data might help (i use jeffery's exif viewer)

Strange. Unless you rename it, the default should be IMGPxxxx where P denotes Pentax.
In anycase, once the count hits 9999, the system will create a new folder and restart the count. It can also be reset, so using this as a guide is not accurate.

For a new camera there should be around 100 shots (at least that is the case for the 6 new pentax dslr i bought in the past 4 years) taken by the production line for tests. :)

Thanks to FW, he taught me how to set matching shutter count on cam and would like to share.

1) Delete all pics from memory card.
2) Take 1 pic.
3) Use PhotoME or other to check shutter count.
4) After that, rename the pic to the correct shutter count.
5) On cam, go to MENU and look for Memory,
6) Uncheck “info”
7) Put in memory card to cam and view photo and it show same shutter count as you renamed earlier.
8) Take another photo and confirm shutter count is running number.
9) Now, go back to MENU and checked the ‘Info” under memory.
10) Take another pic to see actual shutter count when you view pic.

Hope that help.

Hi...

you use the file number as a gauge, that's what i do.

Thanks to FW, he taught me how to set matching shutter count on cam and would like to share.

1) Delete all pics from memory card.
2) Take 1 pic.
3) Use PhotoME or other to check shutter count.
4) After that, rename the pic to the correct shutter count.
5) On cam, go to MENU and look for Memory,
6) Uncheck “info”
7) Put in memory card to cam and view photo and it show same shutter count as you renamed earlier.
8) Take another photo and confirm shutter count is running number.
9) Now, go back to MENU and checked the ‘Info” under memory.
10) Take another pic to see actual shutter count when you view pic.

Hope that help.

Thanks Ben. Does this mean somewhere in the EXIF data is the absolute shutter count of the camera which runs regardless of photo image running number reset? :)

Thanks Ben. Does this mean somewhere in the EXIF data is the absolute shutter count of the camera which runs regardless of photo image running number reset? :)

Yes, the shutter count remain unchanged in EXIF even if reset of photo image running number in cam. The exercise is to correspond the shutter count number between EXIF & cam.
My cam shows "IPG7767", which means shutter count of 7 thousand ++, but actual count is much lower as shown in EXIF.

Last edited:
Hi...

Bro,

Alternatively, you can take any picture (with Exif data) and upload into this web site and search for "Shutter Count", it will show the latest counts of the shutter. :)

http://regex.info/exif.cgi

i use PhotoMe, works perfectly

For those who downloaded photome from photome.de, do note that there is a trojan in the app. My anti virus just reported and removed it while I was installing it just now. BTW, for photome, how can I see the exif data within the browser? or do I have to open photome to see it? I check the settings and already installed the plugin for firefox. But right click and I still have to open Photome to see the exif. For my ACDC, I can see the exif direct from the browser. Thanks :)

Last edited:
if you have flickr account, you can see the shtutter count by viewing the exif.

hi, where does it state for shutter count, i try to find it but there doesn't state shutter count. does it use others term? i'm using nikon d7000. thanks

For those who downloaded photome from photome.de, do note that there is a trojan in the app. My anti virus just reported and removed it while I was installing it just now. BTW, for photome, how can I see the exif data within the browser? or do I have to open photome to see it? I check the settings and already installed the plugin for firefox. But right click and I still have to open Photome to see the exif. For my ACDC, I can see the exif direct from the browser. Thanks :)

i too use photome.

the only trojan is your "lame" anti-virus software uninstall it please.

these days, AV just want to tel consumers that they are doing their job so for every little things installed equate to virus, that aside, uninstall your av.

hi, where does it state for shutter count, i try to find it but there doesn't state shutter count. does it use others term? i'm using nikon d7000. thanks

Nikon go ask Nikon peers ma.. maybe Nikon have special software to do it ?

if you have flickr account, you can see the shtutter count by viewing the exif.

I can't see my shutter count by viewing the exif info of my photos. (I did enabled my exif sharing)
Do I need to change some settings inside flickr? I am just curious because I have seen quite a number of people mentioning that shutter count can be found in the exif data in flickr... but i just couldnt find it. :(

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xtunbox/5540151170/meta/

Last edited:
i too use photome.

the only trojan is your "lame" anti-virus software uninstall it please.

these days, AV just want to tel consumers that they are doing their job so for every little things installed equate to virus, that aside, uninstall your av.

free software nowadays often comes packaged with adware or malware that pushes ads or collects user data. if the AV can remove these unwanted "functions" without disabling the software, i don't see what the problem is.

uninstalling the anti-virus is just throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

I can't see my shutter count by viewing the exif info of my photos. (I did enabled my exif sharing)
Do I need to change some settings inside flickr? I am just curious because I have seen quite a number of people mentioning that shutter count can be found in the exif data in flickr... but i just couldnt find it. :(

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xtunbox/5540151170/meta/

not sure abt flickr but it can definitely be seen by opening up the file in photome. its buried in there somewhere, among the rows and rows of other data.

seriously, why is this important at all? if u bought a new set, it won't be zero anyway cos they do factory testing. if u bought a 2nd hand set, its not as if u can return it cos the number is not to your liking?

a dslr is good for what? 100,000 actuation? you'll get bored of the camera before it hits that number. ;p

Actually, i am not interested in shutter counts at all.
I am just curious when ppl mentioning them that they are able to find it in Flickr but I cant seem to find mine. =P
No worries mate!

I always use PhotoME. It works very well.
But it's heartache to know my current shutter count which is 23k liao....