Shutter Count

Status
Not open for further replies.

desertstrike

Sep 29, 2008
CCK
hi guys

is the shutter count in the dslr really so prominent?
if that is the case, do u guys really try to "save" the click and snap fewer?

nah...its just a gauge of how frequent the cam is used. its a gauge of when u should get ur cam service...
i say shoot as much as u can and dun worry abt shutter count...
usually shutter can shoot more than 100k photos. and if it dies...just change a shutter...or rather by the time it dies...u got more than egh money to buy a new cam

No worries man, unless u intend to offload your camera sometime soon if not i will recommend u to use as per normal "p i am not sure of the exact number but heard it will take u years to ever change your shutter .

Just enjoy snapping "p

Well... assuming you have a D90 and the shutter is rated at around 100k shots, per week you take 1000 shots thats almost 2 years. If you take half of that per week, thats 4 years. I think your EN-EL3e battery is gonna die first, so will your card after transferring maybe over 900GB of data if you are shooting in RAW. Saving shot? no way, I am shooting everything and everyone.

Nah, I don't bother too much about the shutter count, shoot all I want...

Okie, great! thanks for all ur replies! :-D

if change or service shutter, roughly how much would be the cost?

I have a Canon 40D. How to check shutter count?

Try Canon Service Centre...

So there is no way to check ourselves?

Okie, great! thanks for all ur replies! :-D

if change or service shutter, roughly how much would be the cost?
most people change their camera to a newer model long before the shutter fail, so don't be so concern of how much the cost will be, anyway, it depends on what model of your camera too, usually a few hundreds bucks.

haha, okie thanks guys, so what is needed to do maintenace on the shutter?

or we can't do anything about it and have to let a pro handle it?

so what is needed to do maintenace on the shutter?

You need a lot of knowledge and some more or less special tools. Both are things Canon will not want to share with the rest of the world since it's a safe and good stream of revenue for the Service Centers. Not to mention equipment to measure the correct shutter speeds to verify function.

haha, okie thanks guys, so what is needed to do maintenace on the shutter?

shutter is almost maintenance free, as long you don't itchy fingers go and poke the shutter, or spray WD40 to oil it..., it will continue to work many years.

anything wrong, just send it to service center, don't try to fix it yourself....

don't worry so much lar... for most people, it will take long long time to use up the life span of the shutter, and it is also about time to write off the camera already.

I called Nikon and asked the other day. Without warranty, it may cost about $100++ for the shutter. Plus another $100 for servicing. Thats the rough cost. Thats based on D40.

i call up canon svc ctr, they quoted me for ard 180 bucks just to change the shutter on 40D when out of warranty. not sure if during warranty period, do we need to pay for a warranty replacement?

hi guys

is the shutter count in the dslr really so prominent?
if that is the case, do u guys really try to "save" the click and snap fewer?

Why do you need to worry???

A shutter can go from as low as a few hundred clicks to a few hundred thousand (depending on model too)

So why worry... just shoot. I have a Nikon D200 for about 2 yrs plus now and the shutter is around 27,000 and I just keep shooting... only thing that I worry is the sensor actually... :bsmilie:

At the most, spend a few hundred and replace the shutter, you're still good to go. :thumbsup:

Haha... Ok... Think about it.

Say we are just hobbists, who take it out to shoot over the weekends and maybe a couple of overseas trips. Let's say, that we hold our dSLRs for approximately 3 years before we change to another model.

Average no. of shots during Weekend Shoots: 300
Average no. of shots for a 1-week vacation: 3000

Suppose we go out every weekend to shoot and go for 2 1-week vacations in a year:
= 300 * 52 + 3000 * 2
= 15,600 + 6,000
= 21,600

Suppose we keep this up for 3 years:
= 21,600 * 3
= 64,800

That's a remarkably high number, but if your shutter is rated to last for at least 100k, then you're still 35,200 off the mark.

Besides, I am certain that there would be certain weekends that we'd have to give photography a miss, maybe shoot less than 3,000 images during a vacation etc...

So really, I don't think shutter count is that big a worry... Perhaps only considering resale value, but that's about it.

i call up canon svc ctr, they quoted me for ard 180 bucks just to change the shutter on 40D when out of warranty. not sure if during warranty period, do we need to pay for a warranty replacement?
if the 40D shutter life span is 150k, and you want to waste you shutter within a year, you need to shoot everyday, day or night, shoot 400+++ each day. can you do that?

and if you really can shoot untill the shutter fail, be it one year or 5 years, what is $180 to your usage on this camera for shooting 150k?

Status
Not open for further replies.