Shutter count?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swatch

Oct 28, 2005
Highlander
What is shutter count? Couldnt find anything useful by searching...Any care to explain to a newbie?

Swatch, shutter count is the number of shots that have been taken by a particular camera.

Thanks Canew!

Is there a way to check how many pictures I've taken with the camera?

shutter count is a useless statistic.
service you camera if it needs a CLA and all will be well.
digital cam? aiyah, by the time your camera got high shutter count, it is obsolete already.

ricohflex said:
shutter count is a useless statistic.
service you camera if it needs a CLA and all will be well.
digital cam? aiyah, by the time your camera got high shutter count, it is obsolete already.

Yeah...i bought my compact digicam since january 2004 and until now only clocked 4700+.

to tell shutter count by file numbers is uesless, it only record till 9999, the only way to get the right number is use Opanda to view file exif.

btw, like ricohflex said, your camera may obsolete before you hit a high shutter count, not to worry to much.

but some other people do have a very high shutter counts, a 10k cycle for every 2~3 months perior.

catchlights said:
to tell shutter count by file numbers is uesless, it only record till 9999, the only way to get the right number is use Opanda to view file exif.
catchlights, is Opanda free?

ortega said:
ortega, I was at www.opanda.com already. It seems that the downloads there are offering shareware only. To me, shareware means that it can be used for a certain number of days only. (usually 30) Tell me if I am wrong.
I am actually looking for a EXIF reader too for my Firefox 1.5. My present EXIF reader (ViewEXIF) cannot support FF 1.5.

catchlights said:

btw, like ricohflex said, your camera may obsolete before you hit a high shutter count, not to worry to much.

but some other people do have a very high shutter counts, a 10k cycle for every 2~3 months perior.

Those must be extreme shooters.

Snoweagle said:
Those must be extreme shooters.
Who says so?
Lets say an average wedding day photographer shoot 600 pictures per wedding, one month 5 weddings to shoots, 3 months already 9000 counts.
I know many wedding day photographs have 8~10 weddings per month in peak season, and many of them don't just shoot 600 pictures only. That's also including me.

Canew said:
ortega, I was at www.opanda.com already. It seems that the downloads there are offering shareware only. To me, shareware means that it can be used for a certain number of days only. (usually 30) Tell me if I am wrong.
I am actually looking for a EXIF reader too for my Firefox 1.5. My present EXIF reader (ViewEXIF) cannot support FF 1.5.
they also have a freeware version to view exif data

http://www.opanda.com/en/iexif/download.htm

it is free and u can get a plugin(full version needed) for firefox so tt u can right click on the pic and view exif

So anyway there is a chance to reset the shutter count? Or it is pre-fixed, and we cannot do anything. FG

catchlights said:
Who says so?
Lets say an average wedding day photographer shoot 600 pictures per wedding, one month 5 weddings to shoots, 3 months already 9000 counts.
I know many wedding day photographs have 8~10 weddings per month in peak season, and many of them don't just shoot 600 pictures only. That's also including me.

I know...that's extreme enough.

GOMUS said:
So anyway there is a chance to reset the shutter count? Or it is pre-fixed, and we cannot do anything. FG

You can reset all the numbers back to 0 but your shutter count will remain the same, unless you change the shutter.

Status
Not open for further replies.