Shutter Count

dbzaryton

Nov 28, 2011
After the camera have reach shutter count, lets say 300k. Thats mean we cant use the body anymore, or we just need to send in for servicing ?

After the camera have reach shutter count, lets say 300k. Thats mean we cant use the body anymore, or we just need to send in for servicing ?

If i'm not wrong, you can ask them to replace the shutter blade.

You can continue using it until it breaks. once it breaks, you can bring it to service centre and get it replaced with a new one.

replace the shutter blade ?? How much it will cost ?

The shutter count is just a rough estimate on the number of actuations it will last for. The camera doesn't shut itself down after you've hit that number. There was an online list comparing the camera's rated shutter actuation count vs the actual count when the camera shutter failed and the actual count often surpasses the rated count by quite a fair margin. I've lost the link though :(

at the end of the rated life, the camera will become as useful as a paperweight... give it away to someone and get a new camera :)

kidding....
Just like car tyres don't have a precise lifespan (eg. exactly 30,000kms and they'll explode), the rated life of a camera's shutter mechanism is a statistical value of the average lifespan before failure of the shutter mechanism. When the thing fails, simply send to service centre and get the mechanism replaced, and you're good to go :)

at the end of the rated life, the camera will become as useful as a paperweight... give it away to someone and get a new camera :)

kidding....
Just like car tyres don't have a precise lifespan (eg. exactly 30,000kms and they'll explode), the rated life of a camera's shutter mechanism is a statistical value of the average lifespan before failure of the shutter mechanism. When the thing fails, simply send to service centre and get the mechanism replaced, and you're good to go :)

Very nice ah.. Hahahah, example, the Nikon F5 supposedly rated for 150k? Apparently some people shot over a million and its still working, as said by everyone, that's the estimation, I have friends whose camera is rated for only 50k, they've gone past that to about 100k or more, if its too old and you are looking a reason to upgrade, as zerocoolastra said, you can use it as a paper weight hahaha

just shoot until it fail, it is replaceable, anyway, only very few people ever shoot till shutter failed, so don't worry too much about it.

It's all in the stats! Meanwhile, just continuing shooting. It'd really take you quite a while before the shutter quits on you.

spidey89 said:
Very nice ah.. Hahahah, example, the Nikon F5 supposedly rated for 150k? Apparently some people shot over a million and its still working, as said by everyone, that's the estimation, I have friends whose camera is rated for only 50k, they've gone past that to about 100k or more, if its too old and you are looking a reason to upgrade, as zerocoolastra said, you can use it as a paper weight hahaha

Haha I was thinking "what DSLR is rated to 300k shutter counts?" and immediately the evil thought came to mind
Gimme gimme gimme!
:devil:

In most cases...even before the shutter start to fail.. people already got their hands on a new camera..

Cowseye said:
Just dun expect to sell them easily when u achieve 200k shutter count..

Depends on selling price I suppose. If seller letting go for "market price" - $400, surely can consider ;)

By the time it really fails, you can easily buy a new one at almost the same or lesser price than your existing cam.

I feel, the cost shouldn't be factored in as I'll be happy the shutter fails.... It shows its well used... Whats $200 over when u taken 50K shots?
My D80 changed shutter twice... 1st one at 10K;(, 2nd one and 9K;( and the 3rd one is going strong till now at 120K!!!! fyi, it's rated at 50K only

Last edited:
If you are a professional,you know how to do.If take photo is your hobby,It is the time to upgrade your gear.So why care?:nono:

ZerocoolAstra said:
Depends on selling price I suppose. If seller letting go for "market price" - $400, surely can consider ;)

Need at least $100 more for me to for the time factor for traveling to NSC..