shutter count or Actuations for Prosumer Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

wahgongzai

Dec 13, 2006
Hi all, not sure where to post. Since I am new, so post here.

I have read about Opanda IExif and know that it can display shutter count or Actuations. So after installing it. I try to read the shutter count from my dimage 5 prosumer camera photos. To my surprise, all detail infos is display except the total shutter count is missing???

So I did a quick research from the web and this is what I gather:
-It only works for certain models certain brands, (prosumer DSLR don't know)
-may have to fulfil certain conditions, eg memory card not use by another Digital camera
-may not work if it was resave from another program
-some say must read direct from the memory card (I try didn't work...)

I also did a quick search under Clubsnap and found one thread which has the screen shot showing the shutter count (note its version 2.0)
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=241462&highlight=opanda

I decided to use some of the photos showcase in clubsnap to check. So far have check about 8-9 photos, shot with Nikon or canon DSLR. The result is the same, no total shutter count???

The software can be found here
http://www.opanda.com/en/iexif/index.html

Can anyone verify this?

thanks

Hi all, not sure where to post. Since I am new, so post here.

I have read about Opanda IExif and know that it can display shutter count or Actuations. So after installing it. I try to read the shutter count from my dimage 5 prosumer camera photos. To my surprise, all detail infos is display except the total shutter count is missing???

So I did a quick research from the web and this is what I gather:
-It only works for certain models certain brands, (prosumer DSLR don't know)
-may have to fulfil certain conditions, eg memory card not use by another Digital camera
-may not work if it was resave from another program
-some say must read direct from the memory card (I try didn't work...)

I also did a quick search under Clubsnap and found one thread which has the screen shot showing the shutter count (note its version 2.0)
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=241462&highlight=opanda

I decided to use some of the photos showcase in clubsnap to check. So far have check about 8-9 photos, shot with Nikon or canon DSLR. The result is the same, no total shutter count???

The software can be found here
http://www.opanda.com/en/iexif/index.html

Can anyone verify this?

thanks
prosumer doesn't have a physical shutter...

hi follow forummers. i'm a beginner so forgive me for silly question. may someone tell me what is shutter counts for? and how do they do that.

Shutter count bascially is the nos of shots (shutter open and close) taken from the very start to current. Somebody use this to gauge how much will they pay for a second hand DSLR. Lesser mean can sell for a better price.

From some of the seniors here, they mention for nikon camera, the estimated life span of shutter is about 100,000. (Note: shutter can be replace, how much I not sure...)

If you wish to find out more, do a search under "shutter count" you will find tons of it.

Anyway thanks ExplorerZ for giving the answer. It will be great if prosumer camera can show shutter counts... Hope this is possible in the new future of new prosumers.

Anyway thanks ExplorerZ for giving the answer. It will be great if prosumer camera can show shutter counts... Hope this is possible in the new future of new prosumers.
It is not possible for prosumer to have a shutter count as they don even have physical shutter(they use eletronic shutter, the exposure is timed by turning on and off the sensor). No shutter how to count?_?.
and yes having an extra shutter in the camera = more prone to some kind of mechanic failure.

Shutter count bascially is the nos of shots (shutter open and close) taken from the very start to current. Somebody use this to gauge how much will they pay for a second hand DSLR. Lesser mean can sell for a better price.

From some of the seniors here, they mention for nikon camera, the estimated life span of shutter is about 100,000. (Note: shutter can be replace, how much I not sure...)

If you wish to find out more, do a search under "shutter count" you will find tons of it.

thanks so much for the explanation., its a great help. i bot my D70 a year ago for my cousin wedding.. than three days ago only, i bot a SB600.. hehe.. very new to flash photogrpahy. so for now jus use the auto mode.

thanks so much for the explanation., its a great help. i bot my D70 a year ago for my cousin wedding.. than three days ago only, i bot a SB600.. hehe.. very new to flash photogrpahy. so for now jus use the auto mode.
try using aperture mode or manual if you hand are fast. ;)
in this way you can control the camera rather than let the camera control everything.

learn somethings new again today :) Cool . Tks explorerZ

hi, just got reply form Opanda staff,

Qns: Does IExif works on prosumer cameras?

Ans:"The feature of Opanda IExif is only for DSLR of Nikon."

Just an update

hi, just got reply form Opanda staff,

Qns: Does IExif works on prosumer cameras?

Ans:"The feature of Opanda IExif is only for DSLR of Nikon."

Just an update
yes it work on prosumer camera... but a prosumer camera or a PnS doesn't have any physical shutter like what I have said, so it is not shown. and as far as i know, Nikon record the shutter count in the photo exif thats why we are able to check it ourself instead of bring it down to the service centre.

Status
Not open for further replies.