Shutter Count on Compact Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belleforte

Jan 29, 2003
Central Singapore
Visit site
I have recently put up a compact camera on sales in CS and was asked by a potential buyer what the shutter count is. I came across a few similar questions on other B&S threads for compacts. I understand that compact P&S camera does use mechanical shutters like DSLRs. Is there such a thing as shutter count on compact cameras and if so, how do you check it?:dunno:

AFAIK, most digital compact point and shoots do not have mechanical shutters. They use an electronic shutter. That is why they can have a 'live' view on their LCD screens. The only moving parts in a compact digicam are probably the aperture blades and the zoom motor for the lens.

They do have "physical shutters" but most if not all are leaf shutters instead of focal plane shutters.

Basically, a lot of buyers just copy and paste the question post by other buyer on the other thread. They don't know what they are buying into. Some even asked "What is the reason for selling?". Hey come on lah, the seller can quote 101 reasons, how is the potential buyer going to verify it?

It is a "buyer beware" kind of things when dealing with used items in BnS. Know what you are buying by doing research on the net and check the condition and test it before buying.

IMHO, then again, even if digicams have shutters, it's quite pointless asking about the shutter life of a 2nd hand digicam that's costs a fraction of a DSLR. Nitpicking, perhaps?

This is called "asking for the sake of asking". :sweat:

Fully agree. It's like going to a job interview and having the interviewer asking:

1) Why do you leave your current job?

2) Tell me your strenghts and weaknesses?

3) Do you think you are suitable for this job?

...and all that textbook questions.

Who cares about shutter count on a compact camera when it will be obsolete in 2-3 years time anyway!

the more precise question to ask is how much pics has this compact taken rather than asking the shutter count when that question is more suitable for DSLRs instead.

Fully agree. It's like going to a job interview and having the interviewer asking:

1) Why do you leave your current job?

2) Tell me your strenghts and weaknesses?

3) Do you think you are suitable for this job?

...and all that textbook questions.

Who cares about shutter count on a compact camera when it will be obsolete in 2-3 years time anyway!

Sidetrack a bit. Eh. Those interview questions are very important leh.

For the shutter count of a compact, has anyone here seen any people reaching the end of life of their shutter for a compact??

Status
Not open for further replies.