Shutter count for DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

VCTRNX

Nov 2, 2004
Can anyone advise how to check shutter count for a DSLR? It is just based on user's estimation or is there some sort of counter in the DSLR?

I think that you would have to go down to the service centre to check the shutter count:think: .....can someone correct me if I'm wrong....

This is an interesting issue.

Can anyone tell me what's the lifespan (expected maximum shutter cycle) for:

1) a consumer SLR such as EOS 300V or EOS 300D
2) a prosumer SLR such as EOS 3 or EOS 20D

I know that the EOS 1 series is tested to last 150,000 cycles because it's frequently and explicitly published.

Gee...i'm asking cos i keep seeing people asking for shutter count in the buy and sell thread. Seem like there's some way it can be easily checked.

This has been asked several times, please do a search.

The counter is hidden inside the camera, send in to the service center for checking.

film SLR can check oso?:dunno:

sORe-EyEz said:
film SLR can check oso?:dunno:

I'm quite sure that there is a counter inside film SLR in the same way as digital SLR. At least in the better models there might be.

In electronic engineering speak, it's just a simple bit-counting IC chip (if I said it correctly) which counts up once every time the shutter fires.

If you have a Nikon DLSR you might all want to try this program.
I am using a D70 and it is able to display my internal shutter count.

http://www.opanda.com/en/iexif/index.html

I think it doesn't work with Canon DSLR though. My friends 300D doesn't have the shutter count field.

Only works with JPG so switch your cam to JPG mode and take a snapshot. Then use this to examine the
EXIF data of the picture. Scroll right down to the bottom and look at the field called
"Total Number of Shutter Releases for Camera", that will be your shutter count up to now.

Tried on Canon generated JPG and no such field. :(

Shutter_count.JPG

PS: It is Freeware!!:thumbsup:

I thought Canon cameras increment the filename by one, is this number good for
estimating shutter count? Mine has reached 5500 already.

Why so hard up about the shutter count? You spend so much to worry about shutter count? :dunno:

espn said:
Why so hard up about the shutter count? You spend so much to worry about shutter count? :dunno:
:bsmilie: :thumbsup:

espn said:

:thumbsup: heheh...just like that other thread regarding 1-2 dead pixels and how to prevent it on a LCD screen or camera screen...and a few other really an*l retentive topics.

Guys...nothing last forever. If you have to ask...you can't afford it.....and I am not talking about just the price issue. Are your hobbies to help you relax or are you a bead counter who like to stress yourself out.

I dunno about the rest, but for me if I am buying a used camera the shutter count is one of the pieces of information I will look at.

Thanks for all the replies! seem like it is not exactly a straight forward way.

aperture said:
I dunno about the rest, but for me if I am buying a used camera the shutter count is one of the pieces of information I will look at.

Yep. Quite a number is asking during buy and sell. But i suppose if u get a new cam who cares...:)

VCTRNX said:
Thanks for all the replies! seem like it is not exactly a straight forward way.

Yep. Quite a number is asking during buy and sell. But i suppose if u get a new cam who cares...:)

Well don't get too caught up with those silly stuff they talk about sometime in the buy and sell. When it comes to buying and selling...there are many ploys used to get the best prices for the seller and/of get the buyer the best lowest price. All alot of BS takes place even in forums as good as this.

If it is not the shutter counter issue, it will be how well mantain is the CCD or CMOS, what kind of cleaning procedure you use, how often you use it out door as oppose to in door, how old the battery, what filter you throw in, how many dead pixel in the LCD, how many pixel would die per year...and all alot more silly stuff...might hold some grain of really world issue but they OVER-PLAY it for reason that most of the time have really nothing to do with the camera itself!

It can be about someone with abit more money who tell you his D2X has a better shutter then your D70 ( which can be true but it is really to draw you to the fact he has a D2Xor whatever latest richman flavour camera that just hit the market) and as I mention in terms of buying and selling..it is a means to con or 'gentle' persuasion to get the most "ill informed" or "paranoid" hobbist among us to cave in to their demand or price. And some time...they are those who would push you to buy this or that..knowing for a fact that you most likely will not use it much just so they can buy it off you cheap as a second hand... There are outright dishonest in the buy and sell but there are also those very subtle ones too. heh.

Yes some issue are worth considering BUT not all are legit issues...so be discerning with what advise or stuff you hear in here that is discuss and take it all with a a bit of salt and do your own research outside the forum. but double checking all details.

And this shutter issue had been around since the normal SLR!!!. I was told before my Nikon FG which was one of the cheapest back then will never last long to their F3 or F4..etc and the shutter will die faster then the FM2 ...well..my FG is still ticking away and has been with me for 20 yrs and i have easily over clicked it pass it's suppose life span of 100,000 ( if I remember correctly.that is the life span) . If you want to be sucked into all that techno blabber and it starts to upset you about your choice of buying or worst..you just bought it and you are already planning ahead to SELL IT...you should not even be getting into this hobby or any hobbies for that matter. I bet you 10 to 1 if you do keep uyour camera and you use it reasonably often and you keep it well maintain..it will out live some of the worst critics and nay-sayers in this forum. Just a thot lah heheh......

Beside if you are buying a second hand camera..what you going to do about the shutter thingy? You willing to plop out from your own wallet to get the seller to send it in to Nikon to get them to pry open the camera to reveal the shutter count to you? If I was selling it, sure no problem...I will not add that to my cost...I will make every potential buyer who ask me to pay up the cost to do that heheh.

IMO, shutter count is never a problem.

Film Cam - due to the cost of film, you limit the number of rolls you shoot. So, shuter almost never fail first in amateur cameras. Cams used by pros is of course a different story. If you buy a used cam, obvious signs of wear and tear and extensive usage would mean high shutter count.

DSLR - this is not meant to be used for more than 5 years or slightly more than that. After 5 years, new cameras are much cheaper, and so much better than your old 5 year old cam is virtually worthless. If the cam can do 100,000 clicks, you have a whopping 20,000 a year which is largely enough for most users.

Status
Not open for further replies.