Shutter Count and Sensor Cleaning for DSLR

I hear you, I was refering to user friendliness... A bummer man, though CSC is pretty near, it's considered a big hassle already...

The thing is... why do you need to check the shutter count of your 7D or 5D or any camera for the matter? You only check when you want to sell your camera or when you bought a second hand (third hand, whatever hand) camera and to ensure that the shutter count still have plenty of juice in them.

The thing is... why do you need to check the shutter count of your 7D or 5D or any camera for the matter? You only check when you want to sell your camera or when you bought a second hand (third hand, whatever hand) camera and to ensure that the shutter count still have plenty of juice in them.

That is the part I didn't want to bring out earlier... :)

Not trying to bring down the usefulness of both bodies actually, it's just a pity that SC feature was not easily available to users...

Last edited:
rhino123 said:

You are right. It's not something you need to check very often, but surely it need not be SO inconvenient to check, right?

The car's odometer reading is also not something that really needs to be checked on a daily basis, but heck... it's there in plain sight :)

Actually SC can be check by user or not is not really important. Like some of the bros here mention that you only check your SC only when you sell or bought a 2nd hand body. Most user will do multiple/burst shot to take the best moment or sport photography and SC will have more. Its also good that you are unable to see your shutter count when you shoot so that you don't need to worry.

I saw someone posted SC of 450D with EOSinfo at B&S. Dunno how he or she did it.

Exactly. Since some models have this info embedded in the exif, why aren't all cameras like this?
At least if I'm buying a 2nd hand camera, I can bring along my lappy when I view it, and check the SC on the spot (should I feel the need to).
To require me to bring the cam down to service centre is a bit too troublesome I feel.

Exactly. Since some models have this info embedded in the exif, why aren't all cameras like this?
At least if I'm buying a 2nd hand camera, I can bring along my lappy when I view it, and check the SC on the spot (should I feel the need to).
To require me to bring the cam down to service centre is a bit too troublesome I feel.

Will CSC charge us to check the SC?

lcheowl said:
Will CSC charge us to check the SC?

I would imagine that there's no free lunch :)
Otherwise people would keep coming down to check SC ;)

I would imagine that there's no free lunch :)
Otherwise people would keep coming down to check SC ;)

Check shutter count for EOS cameras

$20

you are right... they charging $20. :(

Check shutter count for EOS cameras

$20

you are right... they charging $20. :(

Wat? Even if the camera is under warranty? Damn!

Oh... btw... I read it from the net, there is a linux based program to check shutter count for 7D,

http://www.twam.info/software/read-out-canon-eos-7d-shuttercount-on-os-x

But being a freaking computer illiterate (I only know some microsoft office) and how to type using my keyboard, I cannot seemed to figure up how to actually install the program. If anyone out there could help me up here, we might get a free way of checking 7D's shutter count!

Last edited:
why bother so much about shutter counts?
when camera decide to die, they die,
any problem just bring it to service center, can fix? fix it. can not fix? get a new set.
camera is just a tool, camera is replaceable.

what is the most important thing is the photos you've created, and the process of creating, that is where the Joy of photography came about.

catchlights said:
any problem just bring it to service center, can fix? fix it. can not fix? get a new set.

what is the most important thing is the photos you've created, and the process of creating, that is where the Joy of photography came about.

You are right.
Shutter counts is practically an irrelevant number, but if I were to buy a 2nd hand camera I would still be curious to know the ballpark figure (eg. 10k, 20k, etc)

Some ppl are even more particular. It helps that I can give them an answer quickly that's all.

You are right.
Shutter counts is practically an irrelevant number, but if I were to buy a 2nd hand camera I would still be curious to know the ballpark figure (eg. 10k, 20k, etc)

Some ppl are even more particular. It helps that I can give them an answer quickly that's all.
judging by the exterior of the camera body should able to tell how used is the camera,

unless the previous owner is shooting noting but timelapse........
camera mount on tripod most of the time, shooting a few thousands frames in an outing. :eek:

Well, that only apply to those who get a new cam, and used it till EOL.

However, a lots of bros here change their cam regularly, and in order to test out diff cam, the cheapest way is to go to the 2nd hand market.

Without the sc info, it is very hard to estimate the age and usage of the camera.

You should be aware that a 5D, the market price for a sc less than 10 000 and one with near to 100 000 can be diff by up to 30%.

Erm if shutter died it can be replace right? 200plus? if im not wrong

Wat? Even if the camera is under warranty? Damn!

Oh... btw... I read it from the net, there is a linux based program to check shutter count for 7D,

http://www.twam.info/software/read-out-canon-eos-7d-shuttercount-on-os-x

But being a freaking computer illiterate (I only know some microsoft office) and how to type using my keyboard, I cannot seemed to figure up how to actually install the program. If anyone out there could help me up here, we might get a free way of checking 7D's shutter count!

you need a linux based machine to run..

you need a linux based machine to run..

Ahhh... Damn! And there I tot I found a program that check 7D's shutter count... haiz...