Shutter button position

Status
Not open for further replies.

kongg

Feb 8, 2002
Ang Mo Kio outskirts
kongg.clubsnap.org
Ok, we all know all cameras' shutter button are activated by pushing it down. Would it be more effective/comfortable/helpful if the shutter button is activated by pushing it towards yrself??Ie Button positioned on grip. Comments pls.

Originally posted by kongg
Imagine pressing the shutter button wif yr middle finger on the grip.:bsmilie:

Ok tried it. Still prefer the current design. I find that there tend to be more camera movement if I use the middle finger. The current design has a smooth flow of action. Acting with gravity I think.

Ok, we all know all cameras' shutter button are activated by pushing it down. Would it be more effective/comfortable/helpful if the shutter button is activated by pushing it towards yrself??Ie Button positioned on grip. Comments pls.

Quite a few Medium Format camera brackets (read grips) use a system like you're proposing, as do some of the larger light brackets, except they use a 'trigger' or push button that protrudes a way. Works well with heavy gear.

it's very funny that u mention it, cos i was just thinking of the same mechanism today while shooting......

seems to me it might cut down on camera shake due to stabbing at the shutter button ;p

it was diagonal in some cameras right?
so was the grip... I remember some Samurai big compact had a 45' bino look...

Originally posted by Red Dawn

it's very funny that u mention it, cos i was just thinking of the same mechanism today while shooting......

seems to me it might cut down on camera shake due to stabbing at the shutter button ;p

Oh man! You are not supposed to STAB the shutter button, you are supposed to gently squeeze it. :) Combined with holding of your breath, proper bracing and a Leica M, you can get shutter speeds of 1/8s on a 50mm. And maybe 1/4 with a 35mm. And if you have IS, you can probably do 1-6s...... :D

Regards
CK

I have been thinking about this similar question for some time...
Actually its more about the egornomics of the shutter + grip.
I believe pressing the shutter release button also cause camera shake.
The current shutter button position is fine; trigger by downward action of index finger.
However for the grip; instead of a 90 degree vertical column, perhaps shaping it at 45 degree would be more comfortable.
Imagine it as holding a pistol/rifle grip, barrel pointing up.

How if the shutter button is replaced with voice recognition command? The shake due to pressing the shutter button will gone forever.....:D

Status
Not open for further replies.