Shrinkwrap service needed


Status
Not open for further replies.

Ah Pao

Senior Member
Nov 7, 2003
1,663
0
36
Singapore
www.facebook.com
#1
Is there any shop that does shrinkwrap service?
I need to preserve a copy of newspaper (all the pages and sections) for the next 20 years.
 

lauLEE

New Member
Jun 8, 2003
237
0
0
North-East
Visit site
#2
Ah Pao said:
Is there any shop that does shrinkwrap service?
I need to preserve a copy of newspaper (all the pages and sections) for the next 20 years.
The service you need is not "shrinkwrap" but rather lamination, unless of course you just want to shrinkwrap the WHOLE bundle of the newspaper as one. You shld consider "cold lamination". However newspaper is not a good paper to keep for years becos of its inherent weaknesses as a paper. The best paper is still goatskin which can last at least 200 years, and which is normally acid-free.
As such the ideal way shld be: 1. send for scanning and save as a softcopy, 2) put the newspaper in a dry box, or 3) send for copying onto similli paper, which will last longer than newspaper.
 

zod

New Member
Mar 30, 2003
1,279
0
0
#3
i think he want to preserve the newspaper more than what is in the article
erm, i mean keep everything as it got value
digitized laioz, somehow lose value
 

Ah Pao

Senior Member
Nov 7, 2003
1,663
0
36
Singapore
www.facebook.com
#4
Yeap, need to keep the papers--physically--for the next 20 years.

Helping my friend who's intending to keep the papers for his daughter's 21st birthday...or wedding day...can't remember lah...

And she's barely 3 weeks old... :sweat:

I was thinking shrinkwrapping's the best method to preserve it for 2-3 decades. Thanks for your advice though, lauLEE...
 

kahheng

Senior Member
Jan 20, 2002
1,481
1
38
bride.ru
#5
If I were you, I'd try to neutralize the acid in the newsprint as well (the stuff the makes the newspaper yellow over time).

Try giving the local museum a call for some advice.

Tell them that since you're paying their salaries (you're a taxpayer aren't you?), you deserve some service. :think:
 

blurblock

Senior Member
May 30, 2003
3,827
0
0
ytphoto.clubsnap.org
#6
kahheng said:
If I were you, I'd try to neutralize the acid in the newsprint as well (the stuff the makes the newspaper yellow over time).

Try giving the local museum a call for some advice.

Tell them that since you're paying their salaries (you're a taxpayer aren't you?), you deserve some service. :think:
Museum? I think you will get a more appropriate answer from the library or the national archival centre. The two places that does all the archival for Singapore. But if I know then, they will ask you to convert it into slides or in that plastic format which I forgotten the name :sweat: .

Anyway, it is not advisable to keep the phyiscal copies of all then newspapers, just think where do you get the storage space for all those newspapers? 7304 set of newspaper? I think you can easily fill two rooms with it.
 

The_Cheat

Senior Member
Jan 19, 2004
2,278
0
0
Singapore
#7
blurblock said:
Museum? I think you will get a more appropriate answer from the library or the national archival centre. The two places that does all the archival for Singapore. But if I know then, they will ask you to convert it into slides or in that plastic format which I forgotten the name :sweat: .

Anyway, it is not advisable to keep the phyiscal copies of all then newspapers, just think where do you get the storage space for all those newspapers? 7304 set of newspaper? I think you can easily fill two rooms with it.
National library and National Achive? Well, most probably they have no technical know-how of keeping the papers as well, since all their old papers are either digitalised, or kept in Microfilm format. :(

Try the museum instead lah! Think there bound to be curator would may give you some aid! ;)
 

SNAG

Senior Member
Jun 14, 2002
1,644
0
36
33
Visit site
#8
Just some advice:

I used to do community work in this place called Heritage Conservation Centre (HCC). It's a place where NHB stores all their artefacts into this warehouse, and they specialise in doing conservation work for all the museum pieces in Singapore.

EDIT: It's near Jurong Port Road.

Not sure if they actually provide such services to the public, but hey, you may want to give it a try. But I gather that even if they provide such services, it may not be cheap.. with the treatments and all.

If you want to attempt doing conservation by yourself, you can get some of the materials that they use in the centre:

Acid-free paper-based products (boxes, sheets of paper blah blah)
Tyvek sheets - for cloth based materials I think.
Mylar sheets - for individual sheets I think, not sure if it works for a whole bundled newspaper.

The relative environmental humidity and temperature for conserving such items are important as well, and they vary according to the nature of the item archived. I forgot about the values for paper-based items, you may want to check with them.

Just my 2 cents.. hope I wasn't ranting.
 

r32

New Member
Dec 31, 2002
1,021
0
0
40
Singapore
#9
kahheng said:
Tell them that since you're paying their salaries (you're a taxpayer aren't you?), you deserve some service. :think:
I would like to say that, just like you, those museum staff have to pay income tax too.

Ask, but don't demand.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom