Shower time!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluemystery

Mar 31, 2008
2944274645_96c735365f.jpg

Hi guys, I will like feedback on the composition.

To me, the waterdrops freezing in mid air and the child's expression are the subjects. Hence, I framed only half the face, as the viewer can tell the child's expression even though its a portion of the face. I always aim to be as minimalistic as possible in my photos, that means I only show what I think is vital in the photo, so a photo critique will never fault me for showing unecessary distraction whatsoever. However, sometimes, I might over-crop away photo elements that might be crucial...That's where I need feedback from.

I will also like to know if the shadow at the back of the kid is distracting in your opinion, because I used the flash to freeze the water droplets.

The child in the photo is actually my brother, and he's wearing a scapula...See that string. Should I photoshop it away? Though, personally I feel that a bare shoulder blade makes the lower right portion look "empty" and less interesting. Opinions?

Lastly, I will like opinions on the tone and colour of the photo. Should I make it more contrasty as in a typical BnW photo?

Does it evoke a mood or feeling when you view this photo?

And, Thanks for Viewing.

Cheers! :D

what does it look like when there's colour??

what does it look like when there's colour??

Hmm...Can't remember where's the original photo. lol. But when there's colour, the skin is beige colour lo ;p Water droplets transparent colour:bsmilie: And the background is light yellowish-beige:think:hahaha. Changed it to bnw coz I wanted it to feel more like a distant memory? yea.

Hi guys, I will like feedback on the composition.

To me, the waterdrops freezing in mid air and the child's expression are the subjects. Hence, I framed only half the face, as the viewer can tell the child's expression even though its a portion of the face. I always aim to be as minimalistic as possible in my photos, that means I only show what I think is vital in the photo, so a photo critique will never fault me for showing unecessary distraction whatsoever. However, sometimes, I might over-crop away photo elements that might be crucial...That's where I need feedback from.

I will also like to know if the shadow at the back of the kid is distracting in your opinion, because I used the flash to freeze the water droplets.

The child in the photo is actually my brother, and he's wearing a scapula...See that string. Should I photoshop it away? Though, personally I feel that a bare shoulder blade makes the lower right portion look "empty" and less interesting. Opinions?

Lastly, I will like opinions on the tone and colour of the photo. Should I make it more contrasty as in a typical BnW photo?

Does it evoke a mood or feeling when you view this photo?

And, Thanks for Viewing.

Cheers! :D

I like the picture, though personally the framing is neither here nor there.. I'd prefer a half face framing cut at the nose and form a triangle at the edge, or a full face framing forming a V in the picture.. I think for such pictures, conforming to the Golden Ratio is important when you have water droplets to "break" the form. This "breaking" will put emphasis on the water and enforce the subject matter more..

The water droplets seems insufficient/insignificant, but let me congratulate you on shooting water cos it's not easy. The problem I think you're facing would be lighting.. If you can, placing some black cards and some directional light would;

1) Bring out the form of the water drops.. not it seems flat against the boy/wall.. a bit of specular and shadows would work better.

2) Be careful of the shadows under the chin, very unflattering.

3) Light up the eyes, cos I can see the bulk of expression is very intense in the eyes, but it won't be easy for him to open it with water dripping so work on that aspect..

I think the eyes, and the lighting should nail the subject right on..

I like the picture, though personally the framing is neither here nor there.. I'd prefer a half face framing cut at the nose and form a triangle at the edge, or a full face framing forming a V in the picture.. I think for such pictures, conforming to the Golden Ratio is important when you have water droplets to "break" the form. This "breaking" will put emphasis on the water and enforce the subject matter more..

The water droplets seems insufficient/insignificant, but let me congratulate you on shooting water cos it's not easy. The problem I think you're facing would be lighting.. If you can, placing some black cards and some directional light would;

1) Bring out the form of the water drops.. not it seems flat against the boy/wall.. a bit of specular and shadows would work better.

2) Be careful of the shadows under the chin, very unflattering.

3) Light up the eyes, cos I can see the bulk of expression is very intense in the eyes, but it won't be easy for him to open it with water dripping so work on that aspect..

I think the eyes, and the lighting should nail the subject right on..

Hey, Thanks or your informative comments!!!

Yes, I was considering a half-face framing...however, the water trickling down the nose and chin was what attracted me as well...What do you think?

Point noted about the harsh shadow under the chin as a result of me using direct flash. My kwowledge on lighting is still sometwhat limited. Have not tried using directional lights, whatsoever. Seems like I have a whole lot to learn:bsmilie:

Haha. The whole shot was kinda impromptu. My bro isnt that keen on someone busting into the shower and flashing at him while showering. Muahahaha:bsmilie:

I like portraits. I would like to see the whole face and a little more of the collar bone. You've a chance for an unusual portrait. Find a better crop, keep it in BW, print it, hang it up. Your brother would be proud.

Thanks Ben. I opted for a portion of face crop coz i wanted bit more emphasis on the water droplets frozen in mid-air. haha. I don't think my brother's too impressed really since this photo was taken impromptu after I busted into the toilet while he's showering. my photographs are never staged;p

Status
Not open for further replies.