[ Showcase ] Share your Birding Shots With M43

actually, I already too action and posted a WTB add. Met a CSer to test/buy the lens during noon earlier on, but the 100-300 was surprisingly very soft at 300mm, even after I stopped down to F8. It was the bright afternoon sun as well, with shutter speeds above 1/1000 sec.

I tried shooting at 250mm and the results were not good either....is this normal? I did not buy the lens in the end of course....should I look out for the Oly 75-300 instead

Did you keep the test images to show?
Shouldn't be soft at all. If you see sjchng's pics, they are not soft, in fact very sharp for a telephoto - esp the first 3 images.

What camera did you test with? If OM-D with IBIS, you need to turn off the lens OIS.

yup i have all the images in my OMD still....

I tested with IBIS off, OIS on, and also IBIS on, OIS off... made no diffence...It was hard to find anything sharp or in focus when aiming on subjects that are far away. Shooting objects that were nearby seemed ok though.

Must have been a lemon set... I asked the seller if it was dropped before but he denied it. He only admits it is a soft lens at 300, hence he usually uses it at 250mm, which I then tested at 250mm and achieved the same softness even at F8.

Did you keep the test images to show?
Shouldn't be soft at all. If you see sjchng's pics, they are not soft, in fact very sharp for a telephoto - esp the first 3 images.

What camera did you test with? If OM-D with IBIS, you need to turn off the lens OIS.

Hmmmm... interesting. Mind sharing the pics?
The 100-300 is known to be soft at 300mm, but shouldn't be too bad.

as promised I shall share some images from the lens tested today. always focused on the centre AF point. top right hand side of the frame is a 100% crop of the centre AF point area.

1/1000 sec F8, 300mm Mega OIS off, IBIS on Auto ISO - 400
p1301291.jpg

1/800 sec F8, 300mm Mega OIS off, IBIS on Auto ISO - 400
p1301278.jpg

I shot a series of images of people in the street, all of them came up like the first one, blurry with no details. My thoughts was that it must be front or back focusing. Hence I focused on a patch of grass a couple of times, trying to zoom in to see if it is front or rear focusing. however the conclusion was that nothing in the frame was in focus..... the grass image looks like mega OIS issues to me, although it is definitely off. And at speeds of 1/1000, 1/800, I don't think it is my handholding problem as well. I can do hand held shots to pretty good effect in low light

as promised I shall share some images from the lens tested today. always focused on the centre AF point. top right hand side of the frame is a 100% crop of the centre AF point area.

p1301291.jpg

p1301278.jpg

This is weird, can't be this bad on an E-M5, i think it's a lemon, fortunately you tested it.

Here's a bird shot taken last year with GH2 + 100-300mm before i moved to E-M5.

ISO400, 1/400s, f/8.0, 300mm
sP1040825-1.png

100% crop of the head (reso not high but still ok)
sP1040825-1100.png

You're right, looks quite bad, especially considering they were shot in good light.
I just checked, a couple of my pics which were shot in bad light, on a boat, and at 1/350sec were still sharper than yours.

what about non local birds...?? this one taken by my old EPL-2 with pany 45-175mm... in australia @ featherdale wildlife park back in oct last yr...

here is the 1:1 crops of the eye:

another bird shot...

and its eye...

regards,
wacky

Last edited:
Beautiful pictures taken with M43!

I have a Panny 70-200 and I know it's a little short for birding/wildlife, is there a teleconverter for M43 lenses? And is it advisable to get? I'm still a newbie in both birding/wildlife photography and M43.

Any advice will be appreciated.

hopefully the new oly 75-300 comes to SG in March and I can join in this thread!

OT a little, I'm wondering how a moon shot will look like at 300 (600mm) FOV on m4/3. Anyone shot the moon recently can share?

hopefully the new oly 75-300 comes to SG in March and I can join in this thread!

OT a little, I'm wondering how a moon shot will look like at 300 (600mm) FOV on m4/3. Anyone shot the moon recently can share?

Here's a moon for you ;)

Early Evening Moon, E-M5 + MZ 75-300mm @ 300mm
sP7290031-1.png