D2X_0153.jpg

D2X_0152.jpg

CJ > deleted reference to B&S

Last edited:
5271157370_188697490e_z.jpg

Just for Fun....If only.....;p

Ive seen those on ebay :bigeyes::bigeyes:

Alpa-Kern Macro Switar 50mmm f1.8
The f1.8 Macro-Switar (first chrome & black, later black-painted) was made by Kern Aarau for Swiss Alpa camera in 1958 and was replaced in 1968 by the f1.9 Macro-Switar (black-painted). The Black-painted f1.8 and f1.9 is twice the price of the "regular" f1.8. They were all essentially hand-made.

An exceptional lens in its time - an Apochromat in design. Area-weighted average resolution of the f1.8 at full aperture is 125 l/mm and centre on-axis, is 350 l/mm. At full aperture the f1.9 area-weighted average resolution is 175 l/mm and centre on-axis 450 l/mm. Both lenses showed +/- 0% distortion.

My first contact with this lens was in Hong Kong in October 2008. Got to try a "regular" f1.8 on my M8 at a shop. What caught my attention was the colours it produces. Learned that it needed a special adapter from Japan (expensive!) then for it to range-couple with Leica M. As I did not know anything about the lens plus the fact that I bought my first Fujinon50mmf2 then, I did not pick up this lens.

When I came back home, I started to find information about the lens and actually bought a minty Black-painted f1.9 version together with a cheaper China adapter a year later in December 2009. However, the focus was off and I couldn't compensate for the focus predictably so I returned the lens.

Two years on, I decided to try again and was rewarded this time around. Focus is spot-on at all distances. I like its built & the special Visifocus DOF scale on the lens. Filters for the lens are not screw-on but snap-on Alpa size #B. I actually bought the filters & hood even before I got the f1.9 in 2009 and converted one of the filters to UV/IR for the M8.:bsmilie:

5301518637_bd2283e56e_b.jpg

5300456303_d3bab00ef1_b.jpg

5302784625_ceaa0d1c5d_b.jpg

Last edited:
I simply love the colours I get from this lens. It has a 3-D effect and the OOF rendition is also very pleasant.

5303134568_4f6dbef3e0_b.jpg

5303187336_3a2fa9ca4e_b.jpg

5299756169_6e6f5b965d_b.jpg

5303164420_df1434516d_b.jpg

The f1.8 Macro-Switar (first chrome & black, later black-painted) was made by Kern Aarau for Swiss Alpa camera in 1958 and was replaced in 1968 by the f1.9 Macro-Switar (black-painted). The Black-painted f1.8 and f1.9 is twice the price of the "regular" f1.8. They were all essentially hand-made.

An exceptional lens in its time - an Apochromat in design. Area-weighted average resolution of the f1.8 at full aperture is 125 l/mm and centre on-axis, is 350 l/mm. At full aperture the f1.9 area-weighted average resolution is 175 l/mm and centre on-axis 450 l/mm. Both lenses showed +/- 0% distortion.

My first contact with this lens was in Hong Kong in October 2008. Got to try a "regular" f1.8 on my M8 at a shop. What caught my attention was the colours it produces. Learned that it needed a special adapter from Japan (expensive!) then for it to range-couple with Leica M. As I did not know anything about the lens plus the fact that I bought my first Fujinon50mmf2 then, I did not pick up this lens.

When I came back home, I started to find information about the lens and actually bought a minty Black-painted f1.9 version a year later in December 2009. However, the focus was off and I couldn't compensate for the focus predictably so I returned the lens.

Two years on, I decided to try again and was rewarded this time around. Focus is spot-on at all distances. I like its built & the special Visifocus DOF scale on the lens. Filters for the lens are not screw-on but snap-on Alpa size #B. I actually bought the filters & hood even before I got the f1.9 in 2009 and converted one of the filter to UV/IR for the M8.:bsmilie:

wow...exotic:dunno::thumbsup:

Yes, gommy, beautiful lens!

The colours is intense and yet very pleasing. Not too satuated and have a very 3D effect.

The picture of the bokeh balls with your daughter, seems to be popping out from the picture!

Lovely Lens! You have found a treasure!

When I came back home, I started to find information about the lens and actually bought a minty Black-painted f1.9 version together with a cheaper China adapter a year later in December 2009. However, the focus was off and I couldn't compensate for the focus predictably so I returned the lens.

Two years on, I decided to try again and was rewarded this time around. Focus is spot-on at all distances. I like its built & the special Visifocus DOF scale on the lens. Filters for the lens are not screw-on but snap-on Alpa size #B. I actually bought the filters & hood even before I got the f1.9 in 2009 and converted one of the filters to UV/IR for the M8.:bsmilie:

Hey Gommy, isn't this the lens some people say is the 'God of 50mm'? :thumbsup:

Yes, gommy, beautiful lens!

The colours is intense and yet very pleasing. Not too satuated and have a very 3D effect.

The picture of the bokeh balls with your daughter, seems to be popping out from the picture!

Lovely Lens! You have found a treasure!

Knowing Gommy, he has planned this for years. He told him he got the filter (the King of odd size UV/IR Filters) way before he got this lens. He also bought the adaptor before the lens.

This is dedication man!!! haha!

nice orange spots and beautiful colours!

5301518637_bd2283e56e_b.jpg

5300456303_d3bab00ef1_b.jpg

5302784625_ceaa0d1c5d_b.jpg

Wonderful Gommy! Your efforts had been paid off well !!!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.