Show off your Photoshop!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stroma

Feb 20, 2004
England
I'm pretty new to Clubsnap but think it's one of the best sites I've come across on the net .... HOWEVER ... I don't think I've ever seen any replies to questions that demonstrate that any members are particularly proficient in Photoshop!! So here's a challenge... Post one of your favourite advanced processing techniques with an explanation of what it does and how it does it here. The Winner's prize will be knowing he/she's the smartest member in Clubsnap. (As judged by me - Stroma (all bribes accepted)) ..Do you feel lucky..Punk! ;)

stroma said:
I'm pretty new to Clubsnap but think it's one of the best sites I've come across on the net .... HOWEVER ... I don't think I've ever seen any replies to questions that demonstrate that any members are particularly proficient in Photoshop!! So here's a challenge... Post one of your favourite advanced processing techniques with an explanation of what it does and how it does it here. The Winner's prize will be knowing he/she's the smartest member in Clubsnap. (As judged by me - Stroma (all bribes accepted)) ..Do you feel lucky..Punk! ;)
I guess that is because the core of CS interest is in making and taking good photos w/o much post processing.

Post processing is nice but IMO, I feel more satisfied if I can get an amazing photo w/o much processing. :)

stroma said:

Clubsnap is indeed a good forum so still on it. Meanwhile u could also take a look at http://www.webaperture.com Some of those pro there like to use PS a lot.

stroma said:
Er...okay...well it should start with you first Stroma...let us see your standard. :D

khairi said:
Er...okay...well it should start with you first Stroma...let us see your standard. :D
I agree with all of you. The better the photograph to begin with and the least amount to do in PS is always preferable. I'm not into any of the arty stuff and like my pics to look as natural as possible but here's a simple one for Portraits..

To whiten dull whites of eyes or improve yellowing teeth try this..

1 Open up the layers pallet (If you don't already have it open ) from the windows menu and duplicate the background layer [Either select 'duplicate background' from the Layers menu; Press Ctrl-J; or drag the background layer to the New Layer Icon at the bottom of the Layers Pallet.
2 Select the Background copy layer and lighten it (you could use Curves, Levels etc but..). The best way is to change the blend mode in the layers pallet from Normal to Screen.
3. Now mask the Background copy. Select Layer>Layer Mask>Hide all - This completely masks the new layer.
4 Now (with the mask selected) select a small soft white brush and paint over the teeth or eyes to let the screen lightened layer come though. This will look a little false. If you accidently reveal to much you can change the brush to black and paint the mask in again. To stop the whole thing looking unnatural reduce the opacity of the Background copy. If you toggle the Copy on and off you can quickly compare the improvement you've made....

It looks totally natural, can make OK photos great and takes about 30 seconds to do!

OK then Khairi - Your turn!!

stroma said:
I agree with all of you. The better the photograph to begin with and the least amount to do in PS is always preferable. I'm not into any of the arty stuff and like my pics to look as natural as possible but here's a simple one for Portraits..

1 Open up the layers pallet (If you don't already have it open ) from the windows menu and duplicate the background layer [Either select 'duplicate background' from the Layers menu; Press Ctrl-J; or drag the background layer to the New Layer Icon at the bottom of the Layers Pallet.
2 Select the Background copy layer and lighten it (you could use Curves, Levels etc but..). The best way is to change the blend mode in the layers pallet from Normal to Screen.
3. Now mask the Background copy. Select Layer>Layer Mask>Hide all - This completely masks the new layer.
4 Now (with the mask selected) select a small soft white brush and paint over the teeth or eyes to let the screen lightened layer come though. This will look a little false. If you accidently reveal to much you can change the brush to black and paint the mask in again. To stop the whole thing looking unnatural reduce the opacity of the Background copy. If you toggle the Copy on and off you can quickly compare the improvement you've made....

It looks totally natural, can make OK photos great and takes about 30 seconds to do!

Check the Portrait & Poses section stroma, theres a simpler and more effective method using the lasso & desaturation

BobCheong said:
Check the Portrait & Poses section stroma, theres a simpler and more effective method using the lasso & desaturation
Couldn't find what you refer to in Portraits but I imagine it involves lasso (with Feathering),(several of the selection tools would do ) and either desaturation or reduction in saturation.

The method above can also incorporate a desaturation layer (EG for de-yellowing teeth) and masked. The advantage of this method is you have complete control over where you lighten; all is adjustable at any time and blending is controllable. You can also incorporate one of the selection techniques e.g. lasso or magic wand etc within it to limit where you 'Paint in' the lightening but theres no real need It is also I believe just as Quick... This is the professional method - 'Lasso/desaturate' is not.. 'More effective??' Unless I've missed something in that article.. Any comments? AND .. Have you tried it?

Why do I get the feeling that there is more to this thread than meets the eye?

stroma said:

Are you also competing in your "Photoshop Winner's Prize" becoming the Judge, Contestant and Prize Winner all in one?

I am using Photoshop in a work related situation on a daily basis. Yes getting paid to use Photoshop so to speak. I only take two simple steps to accomplish what you've described.

Then describe your two simple steps!! and perhaps one of the moderators can step in as judge. The only reason for this post was to encourage members to share their techniques so that we can all try them, decide what we like and wish to use or disregard and hopefully all improve our photoshop skills... Professionals Included (Of which I am not one - though I do use PS on a daily basis hmmm??)

This is becoming fun!!

Excellent! You are the first person to venture a technique.
And of course if your curve is an adjustment layer you can amend it at any time..
But if you note my original post you will note I mention Curves and you will also note I still don't favour any of the selection methods. You're method is certainly fast but still lacks control (I Believe) over one other important factor - the lower eyelid....(we won't go into that) Anyway as you say, I'm not meant to be in this at all. It was only that I was prompted to start the ball rolling.. We could have got onto sharpening techniques and we'd have been here for a week....

PS the method I have described has been used (with some subtle variation) by a photographer on commissioned photos of a certain member of our Royal Family (Just thought I'd let you know) AND here's a little secret.... expect to see a Hologram of said session appearing soon (Hundreds of shots - bulk processed in good old PS)

stroma said:

hmmm...interesting...will try it out...
most of the time this is wad i do...select the teeth using lasso or magic wand. go to saturation and desaturate the yellow only. then change back to master and increase the lightness....

"To whiten dull whites of eyes or improve yellowing teeth"

the fastest way is of course selection then curves
but if someone who do not know how curves work, then they could level it.

Another way is to use channels for selection instead of using the lasso tool. This will help PS users to ease the pain of loading selections. Of course, Quick Masking helps too.

I think, the LAZIEST way, which is only one Step is to use "Replace Colour" function. Click on Replace Colour, click on the area you want to change colour, adjust the Fuzziness then change the colour. BUT this do not give good results most of the time.

Gee...there are many ways to do, fr the simplest to those that goes one big round. :D

so how'd that Stroma.

auto everything. :D

To all of you using a selection/curves technique - If you're happy with that go on using it. BUT a good "Professional" technique should have several qualities. It should be fast to apply, it should be controllable and it should be easily repeateble. The method I described is all three. The problem with using a selection technique is that it is SLOW... You make your selection .. perhaps the tolerance was a bit low so you increase it... that's one eye selected... Make sure you're in add mode and select second eye... Maybe select Modify and contract or expand a few pixels.... apply a feather to avoid a hard edge...... etc. Using the method I've described you could be off having a cup of tea by now.. It may look more complicated on paper but once it's mastered it is much faster.
Secondly 'Control'. Using Selection is like using Auto/Program on your Camera. You are letting the computer decide, under direction, the area to lighten and applying a carte blanche curve to the whole thing.

Selection/curves is probably adequate for 9/10 of jobs but why produce a 'Great' Photograph when you can produce an 'Exceptional' One.

For those of you who've used such a method 'for years'. Go and try the technique I've mentioned and then see which you prefer (PS don't forget to use the [ and ] keys to increase and decrease brush size 'On the fly'

And as for HelmetBox 'Auto everything - excellent technique for mediocre photos!"

i dun really use ps....only if my prints are digital in the first place....normally all i dois cropping...its best to retain it in its original state...

for my film prints....i do it the oldschool method....self crop the picture...
FILMS THE BEST ya...hahaz

stroma said:
To all of you using a selection/curves technique - If you're happy with that go on using it. BUT a good "Professional" technique should have several qualities. It should be fast to apply, it should be controllable and it should be easily repeateble. The method I described is all three. The problem with using a selection technique is that it is SLOW... You make your selection .. perhaps the tolerance was a bit low so you increase it... that's one eye selected... Make sure you're in add mode and select second eye... Maybe select Modify and contract or expand a few pixels.... apply a feather to avoid a hard edge...... etc. Using the method I've described you could be off having a cup of tea by now.. It may look more complicated on paper but once it's mastered it is much faster.
Secondly 'Control'. Using Selection is like using Auto/Program on your Camera. You are letting the computer decide, under direction, the area to lighten and applying a carte blanche curve to the whole thing.

Selection/curves is probably adequate for 9/10 of jobs but why produce a 'Great' Photograph when you can produce an 'Exceptional' One.

For those of you who've used such a method 'for years'. Go and try the technique I've mentioned and then see which you prefer (PS don't forget to use the [ and ] keys to increase and decrease brush size 'On the fly'

And as for HelmetBox 'Auto everything - excellent technique for mediocre photos!"

1. Selection by lasso with a feather value not by magic wand or other quickie means.

2. Curve by both overall and channel selective to fine tune colour balance. And add or substract section for further adjustment if desire.

Where's the "You are letting the computer decide, under direction, the area to lighten and applying a carte blanche curve to the whole thing"?

Could we now declare HelmetBox the winner?

hey Stroma...gee, i think u got an indepth knowledge in PS ya...

How about some tutorials in this Forum for all? If you don't mind...rather than telling people you are well verse in PS and challenging ppl to your knowledge...I think it'll be a BIG PLUS for all new PS users to Pros alike in ClubSnap :D.

You got good thing to share Dude...me like your workflow.

Status
Not open for further replies.