show me your DIY-ed studio!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

savager

Jun 12, 2004
I'm now very tempted to DIY a home studio for portraiture use. Has anyone actually setup one successfully at the comfort of their homes? I've been reading here and there for tips on setting it up, but most of them focus on still-life photography, since the things are going to be smaller and manageable. i don't need one because i have a pure white tabletop located near the window, which gives me very natural light on the item itself.

what i need now is a step by step (localised!) guide on how to DIY a studio for shooting portraits.. from making softboxes to reflectors, backdrops or cheap lights etc etc.. any advice? :)

Did this impromptu studio in school:

3212891502_b3ca5595a4_o.jpg

3212046203_123eb78bfe_o.jpg

3212891050_1146f344d4_o.jpg

is the 580exII necessary? if setting up budget studio can do without that one too right? just need a key light?

ur 400D is not attached with any strobe?

anyway, is there any dummies' guide for setting up a studio? i need to know the usage of different items like softbox.. use of umbrella and so on.

and what's the best (most cost-effective, plain black color ) fabric to use for studio? saw them using velvet..any other alternatives that won't show the textures on shooting?

Ok, this is totally random. What is the point of censoring the face of the person in the first pic and show the face in the third pic?

The studio looks kinda cool. Those are school equipments?
different person. ;p

is the 580exII necessary? if setting up budget studio can do without that one too right? just need a key light?

anyway, is there any dummies' guide for setting up a studio? i need to know the usage of different items like softbox.. use of umbrella and so on.

and what's the best (most cost-effective, plain black color ) fabric to use for studio? saw them using velvet..any other alternatives that won't show the textures on shooting?

Hi there you can actually go to my Flickr website under Home Studio Series and have
an idea of setting up a studio @ home.Just like to share,but of course bear in mind
space constraints.

Ok, this is totally random. What is the point of censoring the face of the person in the first pic and show the face in the third pic?

The studio looks kinda cool. Those are school equipments?

The censorship was done because it was a teacher doing funny faces.. and this studio setup shot was going to be shown to the principal, so that wouldn't have gone well without the censoring.

im not sure but i think varying the subject to background distance will have quite a pronounced effect. pulling the background further back will turn it black due to the light fall-off. apparently even a white background will become black if no light falls on it

Hi there you can actually go to my Flickr website under Home Studio Series and have
an idea of setting up a studio @ home.Just like to share,but of course bear in mind
space constraints.

hmm.. why ur pictures look so "retro" one?

think u spent a bomb on your studio.. don't have enough dough for that.. :(

im not sure but i think varying the subject to background distance will have quite a pronounced effect. pulling the background further back will turn it black due to the light fall-off. apparently even a white background will become black if no light falls on it

don't really understand what u're trying to say for your last sentence.. but for me, i prefer to have a totally plain ( instead of what's shown in the studio pic with the blue tint lights ) background, something like editorial shots.

hmm.. why ur pictures look so "retro" one?

think u spent a bomb on your studio.. don't have enough dough for that.. :(

Ah the pictures are irrelevant but only think of sharing an idea with a fellow
CS member that's all.

alright, i spent some time looking thru alot of youtube diy videos.. the thing is most of them weren't detailed enough in their step-by-step tutorial, and secondly it's hard to get the same raw materials locally. any locals who have followed the videos and done 1 fully diy-ed studio?

alright, i spent some time looking thru alot of youtube diy videos.. the thing is most of them weren't detailed enough in their step-by-step tutorial, and secondly it's hard to get the same raw materials locally. any locals who have followed the videos and done 1 fully diy-ed studio?

Improvisation and experimenting is fully recommended... consider it part of your training as a photographer :)

and then there is the internet...

Status
Not open for further replies.