"Shout Grenade! Loud, Loud!"

i heard some idiot in NS decided to play a fool with his grenade during practise...

from what i gathered, when he took off the pin and throw grenade, he said this
pikachu, i choose u!

and gets sent off to DB i think. dunno if real or not

one of my company mate use his body to cover the dummy grenade when the PC was doing a grenade drill. Kanna screw up, down, left, right by him. Can't blame him, that psycho PC make the whole company run and shout grenade in the whole field like crazy monkey. :p

I have two incidents to share:

1. PC: "Shout GRENADE! Loud! Loud!"
Recruit: "GRENADE! LOUD LOUD!"
- Needless to say, recruit got to shout the same phrase for the rest of the day....

2. When we did Ambush exercise, one of my buddies was tasked to be the "enemy" to trigger the ambush. As he walked into the ambush zone, and he rest of us started firing, he did the Platoon movie thing where William Defoe was shot on the fields...
- After the ambush exercise, PC said, this guy got more future as actor than soldier... Can win Oscar...

i heard some idiot in NS decided to play a fool with his grenade during practise...

from what i gathered, when he took off the pin and throw grenade, he said this

and gets sent off to DB i think. dunno if real or not
It's just a myth. The experience of holding a live SFG-87 grenade for the first time can be nerve wrecking for some recruits and I doubt anyone in the right frame of mind would be in the mood to fool around on the actual day of the live throwing.

Last edited:
Hahaha all these SAF urban legends i had heard before...never fails to bring a smile to those who had completed their bmt long ago. :bsmilie:

during my time, some hockkian peng don't know how to pronounce the word grenade properly, so instead of shout "grenade", it becomes "Nei Nei!"

Haha, Filipinos again...bunch of jokers, the police and military I mean. :)

Last time no chance throw grenade, i throw stones........... :bsmilie:

reminds me of BMT...

i smacked my head when i reached the grenade bay... the guy in my detail after me was one of the company best bobo shooters. i prayed hard that he wouldn't throw the grenade behind him xD

needless to say.. he threw it straight at the ground, it became a blind and we were the only detail stuck there for 45 minutes waiting for the bomb squad to blow it up.

and my PC and i had a good heart to heart talk about the beautiful skies...

reminds me of BMT...

i smacked my head when i reached the grenade bay... the guy in my detail after me was one of the company best bobo shooters. i prayed hard that he wouldn't throw the grenade behind him xD

needless to say.. he threw it straight at the ground, it became a blind and we were the only detail stuck there for 45 minutes waiting for the bomb squad to blow it up.

and my PC and i had a good heart to heart talk about the beautiful skies...

I don't get it. How does throwing it straight at the ground (or any method of throwing) cause it to be a blind?

I don't get it. How does throwing it straight at the ground (or any method of throwing) cause it to be a blind?

according to my PC back then... it's supposed to be in the air for a few seconds to allow the det cord inside to burn to the core? if it hits the ground before that... somehow that's disrupted i think...

but that's the way it was put across to us... and yes... it's happened. within one second... the grenade hit the ground and LOL remained still.

according to my PC back then... it's supposed to be in the air for a few seconds to allow the det cord inside to burn to the core? if it hits the ground before that... somehow that's disrupted i think...

but that's the way it was put across to us... and yes... it's happened. within one second... the grenade hit the ground and LOL remained still.
weird logic...

so grenades can't be rolled on the ground towards target??

Unexploded ordnance is fairly common during live firing exercises, I wouldn't be surprise if the SFG-87 fragmentation grenade that recruits throw are taken from soon to be expired batches since live munitions does have a limited shelf life.

What is worst is when these munitions detonate when they are not suppose do. Most artillery personnel should be familiar with the incident that occurred on the 9th of March 1997 when a 155mm shell exploded in the barrel of a FH-200 howitzer during the first ever Exercise Thunder Warrior in Waiouru, New Zealand, which resulted in the tragic death of two NSFs.

Headquarters Singapore Artillery (HQ SA) has the heart to at least pay tribute to these two fallen soldiers in the newspaper annually unlike other formations. :cry:

during my time, some hockkian peng don't know how to pronounce the word grenade properly, so instead of shout "grenade", it becomes "Nei Nei!"
No more hokkien peng nowadays, just plenty of 3G "A" level or diploma graduates that doesn't speak of word of dialect ("CB? What CB?"). :bsmilie:

[VID]iOg9BI44iCs[/VID]
YoutTube Video ID No. IOG9BI44ICS

Last edited:
No more hokkien peng nowadays, just plenty of 3G "A" level or diploma graduates that doesn't speak of word of dialect ("CB? What CB?"). :bsmilie:

YoutTube Video ID No. IOG9BI44ICS

juz shows u the quality of the young un's nowadays..
back in my day, the jiak kan tan's had no probs picking up the hokkien.
u shlda hear them when we met up during the 1st bookout.. :bsmilie:

juz shows u the quality of the young un's nowadays..
back in my day, the jiak kan tan's had no probs picking up the hokkien.
u shlda hear them when we met up during the 1st bookout.. :bsmilie:

i'm a Poly Grad 3SG who can't speak hokkien :D