should you buy cameras at the IT show

Status
Not open for further replies.

mygixs

Mar 10, 2009
Well this is my first time posting would like to say hello to all. IT show is coming this thursday, just would like to know does anybody have an opinion on if buying a camera from the IT show is advisable. I mean the promos are actually very appealing. or is it actually cheaper to buy from elsewhere

Well this is my first time posting would like to say hello to all. IT show is coming this thursday, just would like to know does anybody have an opinion on if buying a camera from the IT show is advisable. I mean the promos are actually very appealing. or is it actually cheaper to buy from elsewhere
you see amazon price and then you see the it fair price.

as long the camera you buy has international warranty...okay-liao and the savings can be used to finance other things.

I saved about $700+ by getting my K20D from US.

Last edited:
It is generally cheaper to buy from elsewhere (reputable shops of course). 6 months ago, when I started on my photography hobby, I bought the Canon G9 from the show at $899 (recommended resale price with some cheap freebies, some of which I find useless). It was actually available at around $600 at the reputable shops. Nearly vomitted blood. I have learned my lesson and now I always call up all the reputable shops to ask for price before buying. Now I only go IT show to take pictures of people whose carrot head is being chopped. Just kidding. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Welcome!

But this question have been asked by many numerous times in the forum. The general answer to this paricular question have always been, "Cheaper to buy elsewhere, but IT show tends to have more freebies"

So it all boils down to how much u value these additional freebies...

As for lens, from time to time, they do have quite decent offers but usually on one or two lens only, so unless u r lucky enuf that they put the lens u have been eyeing on offer, the answer again is to "buy elsewhere"....

Hope this helps:)

That's what I heard: IT shows have more freebies but other shops are cheaper. But still we're all hoping that they'll be cheaper at these shows :p
For me, I'm looking for speedlite to buy...don't know if it'll be cheaper tho.

It is generally cheaper to buy from elsewhere (reputable shops of course). 6 months ago, when I started on my photography hobby, I bought the Canon G9 from the show at $899 (recommended resale price with some cheap freebies, some of which I find useless). It was actually available at around $600 at the reputable shops. Nearly vomitted blood. I have learned my lesson and now I always call up all the reputable shops to ask for price before buying. Now I only go IT show to take pictures of people whose carrot head is being chopped. Just kidding. :bsmilie:

This should give the TS the answer he needs. LOL!!

But seriously, the only advantage of an IT show is that all the stuff is in one place and u dun have to walk all over singapore to browse for the things. Unfortunately, if u go in the evenings or weekends, this benefit is negated becoz u gotta deal with a human jam!! So by and large, I also do not buy at IT show unless I absolutely know the price is indeed better. But usually there are some stuffs which may be worth buying like memory sticks etc.

That's what I heard: IT shows have more freebies but other shops are cheaper. But still we're all hoping that they'll be cheaper at these shows :p
For me, I'm looking for speedlite to buy...don't know if it'll be cheaper tho.

If you are buying older models.... they maybe cheaper during the IT Show coz they wants to clear stocks... As for Speedlite... I don't think you would get a discount unless you are buying together with a dslr body... :think:

If you are buying older models.... they maybe cheaper during the IT Show coz they wants to clear stocks... As for Speedlite... I don't think you would get a discount unless you are buying together with a dslr body... :think:
see-lah if know the shop owner on a first name basis.

I see, thanks for the info. But even if it's around the same price as outside shops I don't mind. saves me the time on travelling :)
Say if it's around 300-320 for SB600 :D

thanks all for the advice i guess i know i wont be buying anything from the IT show now for the moment at least. Looking to get a Canon G10 any advice on this or any other camera to recommend with the same details?? Any shops to recommend in singapore

Buy from IT fairs only if you fancy the freebies. Or else get them from reputable shops who will have more knowledgeable salesman to assist you. Some of the promoters at the fairs know nuts about the product they are selling.

thanks all for the advice i guess i know i wont be buying anything from the IT show now for the moment at least. Looking to get a Canon G10 any advice on this or any other camera to recommend with the same details?? Any shops to recommend in singapore
The G10 is about $610 from amazon without shipping. SRP is $869 locally.

Buy from IT fairs only if you fancy the freebies. Or else get them from reputable shops who will have more knowledgeable salesman to assist you. Some of the promoters at the fairs know nuts about the product they are selling.
A lot of times, if the freebies are from the manufacturer, then even if you get it from shops outside the computer fair, the freebies are still there.

But honestly, for serious users, how many freebie you will find useful?

- memory card - they will give you the cheap and slow ones and eventually you will buy faster ones yourself
- tripod - do you really dare to put your camera on those flimsy tripod?
- camera bag - the bag usually will be big enough only for the camera. By the time you want to put a flash or lens into the bag, you will have to go and buy another one
- lens blower/cleaner - low cost product which I will not trust them to clean my lenses.

Hi, buy from big reputable shops at IT show. You may get demo sets with same price outside plus free gifts. So crowded makes things difficult to check carefully. Survey first for what you need, then buy.

Hi guys. I am also newcomer planning to get a camera for entry lvl use (landscape & candid potrait). Hmm was actually planning to get it @ the IT show but after hearing the comments, guess gt to think twice. But anyway any "old bird" here care to share some of the reputable shops u all are talking abt.. Thanks, thanks! :)

Hi guys. I am also newcomer planning to get a camera for entry lvl use (landscape & candid potrait). Hmm was actually planning to get it @ the IT show but after hearing the comments, guess gt to think twice. But anyway any "old bird" here care to share some of the reputable shops u all are talking abt.. Thanks, thanks! :)

READ UP...

those reccomended in the price listings are normally ok

READ UP...

those reccomended in the price listings are normally ok

Hi thanks for helping. Though pardon me for my ignorance, which price listings are you refering about? Thanks :)

i used to work selling dslrs at an it show a couple of years ago and i remembered looking at the freebies that i was trying to push and thinking: "people don't really need these stuff."

i think buying from the reputable shops s the way to go.

i used to work selling dslrs at an it show a couple of years ago and i remembered looking at the freebies that i was trying to push and thinking: "people don't really need these stuff."

i think buying from the reputable shops s the way to go.

Haha thanks. Any recommendation of shops then?

Status
Not open for further replies.