Should we have a Hall of Shame

Status
Not open for further replies.

ydanz

Feb 7, 2003
SGP
Hi all,

in the past months, we have seen quite a few unhappy incidents whereby sellers of their equipments have been played out by "potential buyers" in many numerous ways for a vast variety of reasons.

One such incident occurred during my recent attempt to sell my 10D camera +++. The "potential buyer" not only wasted two hours of my precious time, he also failed to honour a contract (having put forth an offer to me via PM and I accepted) and tried to pull a fast one by asking for an additional $250 discount and lied that "his friend" offered to sell him "his 10D" at a better offer. In the real commercial world, for larger amounts of $$$, he could be sued for a breach of contract.

While I do not feel good at pointing fingers, I feel a sense of responsibility to fellow CSers who might encounter him in future. Therefore I am proposing we establish a "Hall of Shame" whereby such incidents can be allowed to be posted and the guilty party be named. This is of course in line with STB's blacklist on the local shops in infamous shopping areas we know about. Moreover, the next person the ugly buyer might be dealing with could have been someone I know well and thus the need to inform and warn.

What's your take on this?

I think that would be a pretty good idea :). However, we will have to list out the things he/she do to warrent the Hall of Shame fame ;), and give him/her a chance to rebuke those claims before he/she gets the honour, or should I say dishonour.

Once the trashing is out and he/she is confirmed to be a bad buyer/seller, I think the best is to has his/her name + contact number out to warn people. Notice he/she can change Nick anytime ;).

good idea, but kinda hard to enforce... like mentioned earlier, we can do anything to prevent a bad hat to change its ID.

IMO, perhaps we can consider listing down the joker(s)' e-mail, hp, name etc... so dat a permanent database would be created for all CSers to compare b4 a deal. another way is that the moderators log the IP addresses of sellers and buyers. but, even this is no guarantee as IP address can change according to where the fella log in from.

I think no use lar, most of the time these buyers/sellers just create an account to buy /sell stuff, and they can always create a new account to avoide bad feedback being targeted at them. Coz the catch is that member registration is free in ClubSNAP, unless there is a way to prevent forum users from registering more than one account, this problem will not go away.

Maybe for future member registrations in CS, require a user to input his/her full particulars? For e.g Full name, DOB, contact no., address, e-mail addy etc etc. This would help to prevent duplicate account registration. This can also then be input in a database and which can easily be referred to by CS admin/moderators in case of dispute/fraud between buying and selling parties. I know that its easier said than done, but its a just a suggestion anyways...

Great idea!

The first person I would recommend is:

Brucie aka RKP aka Mac2004

I have had very bad experiences with this guy.
He didn't keep his promises, was rude and insulting.

And he uses 3 nicknames in this forum which is really very dubious.
It's either he has 'identity crisis', 'split personality' or simply because
he's not honest.

Beware of this guy, people!
I'm here just to help, flame me if you want, but just be extra careful when dealing with the above person.

Another one of these...geez..we need to find a psychiatrist for these guys. Not forgetting the other 2 recently uncovered...

Note: This post is not in my official capacity as a Moderator, it is a personal view ONLY.

I'm against a 'hall of shame' on the ground that such a list is wide open to abuse by purchasers who either mis-undertood or are otherwise peaved by the smallest problem with a sale.

Also there are legal rammifcations such as villifcation of character, liable and slander to be considered. Would you like to face a lawsuit over a posting you made?

I 2nd Ian, the list can be helpful, similarly it can be abused, you know it, I know it.

Ian said:
Note: This post is not in my official capacity as a Moderator, it is a personal view ONLY.

I'm against a 'hall of shame' on the ground that such a list is wide open to abuse by purchasers who either mis-undertood or are otherwise peaved by the smallest problem with a sale.

Also there are legal rammifcations such as villifcation of character, liable and slander to be considered. Would you like to face a lawsuit over a posting you made?

I second that. I understand how some of the sellers feel. Other than some of the legal complications, I think such a thread would only bring more unhappiness to the members of this forum then to solve any problems. Such a thread can be mis-used and abused.

So, I am against it as well.

Perhaps one day the administrators of Clubsnap can come up with ratings of all nicks embedded into each nick's profile.

This allows any buyer or seller to rate their personal experience with the nick...
They can click on rating points 1-5..
They can also add remarks..

This way, the ratings and remarks can serve as a source of reference for people who may have future dealings wth the nick. This adds credibility to the "good" and serve as a warning to people who deals with "notorious" nicks.

example in www.amazon.com
"Seller: cjackson1052 (Safe buying guarantee)
Rating: 4.4 stars over the past twelve months (5 ratings). Seller has 5 lifetime ratings. "

more examples

Recent Feedback: See all feedback

5 out of 5 : "Prompt, condition as stated"
Date: 04/12/2004 Rated by Buyer: Melinda R.
5 out of 5 : "book in good condition"
Date: 04/12/2004 Rated by Buyer: wojanbates
5 out of 5 : "Book as described. Quick shipping. Well packaged. :)"
Date: 04/12/2004 Rated by Buyer: suzi43
5 out of 5 : "As described - Thanks"
Date: 04/10/2004 Rated by Buyer: geomax01
2 out of 5 : "I did not get what I wonted, I ask for an hard cover and I got a paper back book"
Date: 04/08/2004 Rated by Buyer: rickyt11

the problem is that every incident has 2 sides of story to tell. Then we may need a judge to listen to both sides, before we can pass judgement and put his name on the HOS. Then again CS may be subjected to legal threats from anyone who is listed in the HOS..... i think the moderators will not accept this idea.

I don't agree with having a hall of shame as its subject to abuse. We don't need CS to babysit us in everything we do.

Same sentiment for rating systems as this is first & foremost a photography forum. Its not an auction site. Having a buy & sell section is to give forum members an avenue to buy & sell photography related stuff in pursuit of the hobby.

If there are any miscommunication or problems between buyer & seller - its up to them to sort it out & not take it public to garner support from fellow forum members for further mud-slinging or stone-throwing.

Afterall, if you are a lousy buyer or seller, your reputation will spread - somehow.

yeah, hall of shame is not a good idea.

In a dispute both sides will always have their story to tell. Sometime both parties can be wrong. Sometime it is very difficult and subjective. So like that how to judge? Who to judge? Even professional judge got lawyer and policeman to investigate.

Sometime depend on who garnish more support to be winner...so many scenario who can judge fairly?

Even some people who has good rating can come with a bad deal next time....buyers bewares lah.

Dun think that Hall of Shame is going to work out.
too many implications as stated by others.

even rating can be subjected to abuse.
who is to stop myself creating many nicks and post all the good comments for myself.

just have to be careful on all these dealing thru internet and consider yourself unlucky if the deal does not go thru.

auron said:
just have to be careful on all these dealing thru internet and consider yourself unlucky if the deal does not go thru.

yup that is just the harsh reality of life, not just the internet itself. :)

forget it lah. u whack people what u gain? nothing actually. then what they gain? nothing also. this CS palce is setup meant to help one another. u help me, i help u. u gain, i gain. betetr that way rite?

Let's go for a "Hall of EGO" instead. That's more challenging. :think:

Even with a rating system, what's stopping them from creating another account to up their main account's rating?

Status
Not open for further replies.