Should Schools be responsible for where they place their students for overseas intern

Status
Not open for further replies.

enchantedream

Jul 9, 2008
Just wondering. Recently, many students from polytechnics and universities have been going overseas for internship. Should the schools' be responsible to find out what's the living conditions(e.g staying in hostel or renting house near work place, common bathrooms without cubicles, work positions) like overseas before sending the students over. And also notifying the students about what to expect there?

Because I am now currently overseas for internship and yep I came here knowing that I'll be staying in the hostel and knowing it is a common bath but after coming here, the common bathroom is cubicless/in another building and heater in the hostel isn't working (still cold in the room even when heater is on). Told the school about it, they replied wear more clothes -_-" and wear woolen socks to sleep. This is purely just a discussion thread nothing more. Just wondering what are csers views

you know, actually most people i know in london *usually* do just that?

you are more than 16 years old, you can take responsibility for adult decisions, it means it is time to grow up. why should the school hold your hand like you're a two year old?

can you explain what you mean by cubicle-less bathrooms? are you saying that the bathroom only has urinals? if that's the case and the school has somehow managed to survive before your princely presence without people defacating in the urinals, you can start doing that. believe you me, before long they will install water cabinets for you.

you know, actually most people i know in london *usually* do just that?

you are more than 16 years old, you can take responsibility for adult decisions, it means it is time to grow up. why should the school hold your hand like you're a two year old?

can you explain what you mean by cubicle-less bathrooms? are you saying that the bathroom only has urinals? if that's the case and the school has somehow managed to survive before your princely presence without people defacating in the urinals, you can start doing that. believe you me, before long they will install water cabinets for you.

I think he meant common bath area. Like just a big room with just bath heads
I do know that many football clubs in UK are like that.

I think he meant common bath area. Like just a big room with just bath heads
I do know that many football clubs in UK are like that.

well, if everyone in the hostel can use that common bath area without complaint, what makes the threadstarter so special? :dunno:

teach you, if you so worried about privacy, just buy a tall tall pushable kind of thing, like those portable clothes hanging devices that you can push around, like you see in clothing shops..

then hang curtain on it and push it to the common bathroom. :bsmilie:

or if you want, just buy a ladder and gaffer it up, then open it up and use as personal shower screen. :thumbsup:

night86mare creative solutions continues.........

just build a wall and install a door in one part of the common bathroom, then make sure no one else has the key. :thumbsup:

Depends...

Anyway internship is not like you're going there as some big boss to just look see and give comments... its to learn how the industry works, so your actually like a worker, sometimes worse... maybe worse off than their operator since you're just a waste of their time.

So you think the company or school should actually give you a 5 star hotel style hostel? nah... got a bed good enuff... if you seriously think that the place sucks, you can obviously pay abit more and rent a place near there with full facilities.

Just wondering. Recently, many students from polytechnics and universities have been going overseas for internship. Should the schools' be responsible to find out what's the living conditions(e.g staying in hostel or renting house near work place, common bathrooms without cubicles, work positions) like overseas before sending the students over. And also notifying the students about what to expect there?

Because I am now currently overseas for internship and yep I came here knowing that I'll be staying in the hostel and knowing it is a common bath but after coming here, the common bathroom is cubicless/in another building and heater in the hostel isn't working (still cold in the room even when heater is on). Told the school about it, they replied wear more clothes -_-" and wear woolen socks to sleep. This is purely just a discussion thread nothing more. Just wondering what are csers views
I am wondering how old you are. When I did my internship, I found out everything by myself (I went to Singapore for my 6 months internship), my Uni didn't do anything, this is the way to growing up man! Do all yourself, that's what life and growing up is all about, don't expect things to be done for you........

I found out the place I wanted to do my intern, wrote to the institue myself, arranged tickets myself, the Singapore institute did help me to get a room at College Green (old Uni hostel), else I would have found a room at some family here.......

Because of this experience I came back to Sin to work after graduating

HS

night86mare creative solutions continues.........

just build a wall and install a door in one part of the common bathroom, then make sure no one else has the key. :thumbsup:

so troublesome... since he got a bedroom, just get a bathtub put in the room then attach a hose from the waterhose (should have a common pantry on the same level rite) then boil a few kettle of hot water, and finally enjoy a warm bath.

so troublesome... since he got a bedroom, just get a bathtub put in the room then attach a hose from the waterhose (should have a common pantry on the same level rite) then boil a few kettle of hot water, and finally enjoy a warm bath.

the profile says that it's a female. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

Lol and Hi I am not a guy I am a girl. Yes I bought a small tub and I am bathing in the room. And yes its just shower heads no cubicles. Not whining or anything just wondering what people think about this. Its just more "mafan" for girls la. you know.... Feeling awkward bathing with collegues too :embrass:. and yes I wanted to move out, school allwoed but the place i am working don't. so what to do. suck thumb and stay.

Lol and Hi I am not a guy I am a girl. Yes I bought a small tub and I am bathing in the room. And yes its just shower heads no cubicles. Not whining or anything just wondering what people think about this. Its just more "mafan" for girls la. you know.... Feeling awkward bathing with collegues too :embrass:. and yes I wanted to move out, school allwoed but the place i am working don't. so what to do. suck thumb and stay.

you have to remember that you are in a new place, it is not like singapore... what to do.

in many ways singapore is a very sheltered place, so open your eyes, and look around, overseas experience is more than just going to the workplace and just engaging in the activity at work and coming home to hide in your room, though that can be very enticing at times.

Lol I know new place...been out a few times but due to shift work very tiring,.. so staying home and visiting clubsnap been my entertainment ever since :embrass:..now waiting for spring to come..going out to take pictures and climb a few mountains ;p...

Status
Not open for further replies.