Should Photography be Illegal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What you should do is to tell them that you are shooting for the People Action Party newsletter, and that our beloved Mentor Minister Lee, Senior Minister Goh and Prime Minister Lee are avid readers who will be sad that no photographs are published because they have prevented you from taking a few shots.

Higher oil prices. More Fare Increases.

clarinet said:
Just dunno why, SLR vs "pt and shoot" cam, SLR user always been qns. I mean which stupid person who want to do reccon will use a big SLR while a "pt and shoot" cam can be so well hidden alway.

blurblock said:
For commerical building, I sincerely doubt I know why. I had once been stop by a guard on the roadside of the Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts when I tried to take some pictures of the building, they say it is confidential ...... Wa Liao .... really confidential they should had mask up the building and call it Nanyang Academy of Abstract Arts.

Because terrorists wun differentiate between a government and commercial building. They will rather go for a commercial building probably:
1.There are more people in it.
2.Causes more economical damages.
3.Easier to target than government buildings.

clarinet said:
Just dunno why, SLR vs "pt and shoot" cam, SLR user always been qns. I mean which stupid person who want to do reccon will use a big SLR while a "pt and shoot" cam can be so well hidden alway.
I agree on this point. It seems SLRs seem to raise eyebrows, but if you use a point-and-shoot, nobody seems to care about you....

there is no laws preventing a person a from shooting commercial building from the roadside. another case of the guard making up his own laws.

blurblock said:
For commerical building, I sincerely doubt I know why. I had once been stop by a guard on the roadside of the Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts when I tried to take some pictures of the building, they say it is confidential ...... Wa Liao .... really confidential they should had mask up the building and call it Nanyang Academy of Abstract Arts.

Just to share my personal experience last week in Portland Oregon. Me and my colleque spending our last few hours taking pictures of colorful trees in winter before our flight back home. As we walk along the streets we didn't realize we are just next to Oregon "World Trade Center". The security guy approached and told us not to take any pictures as it's a sensitive area. But we were shooting only the trees. While my colleague was about to argue, I immediatedly stopped him, apologized to the security personal and left the place.

Just to provide an alternative view. Photographers should have the right to photograph whatever they want. But this right shouldn't supercede public interest. Before we actually take something, it will be good to think how the picture will really benefit us. Will you be better off taking the shot or how different would it be if you dun take the shot. Taking the shot just for the sake of taking it even though you have been warned about it is just being wilful.Being told off is an unpleasant thing I know, been told off many times myself. But why make yourself unhappy by insisting on the shot, especially if it's not a make or break shot? There are plenty of other shots out there that haven't been taken.

I don't think there is any law that prevents anyone from taking a shot ( with a camera not a gun OK!!!! :sweatsm: ) of a building from a public place in general, execpt maybe stat board or gov building. If it is a private building, the security guards have no rights to stop you if you're shooting from outside the building. The security guards can't stop you as you're not in their place of responsibilty, but if you're within the compound, they have every right as it may be the instruction pass down from the management of the place.
I once tried to shoot a condo from the outside but did not realise that I'm still within their compound ( along their driveway ), the guard told me to stop saying the management said so. But as usual, he was rude and loud, I just walk a few feet to my right and shoot from the public walkway next to the road. He tried to stop me again and I told him with a smile "I'm not inside your property so you have no right to tell me what to do. This is a public area and if you don't leave me alone, I'll inform your management, your boss and the police that you're harressing me." :devil: The supervisor came and told the guard to go back to the guard room, said sorry to me, and ask if he could know why I'm taking a shot of the condo. I told him I'm doing it for a housing agent friend who is marketing a unit there. He said thank you with a smile and wish me a good day and went about his business.
As I've said in my earlier post, people on the ground are the ones going around making their own "laws", those higher up knows better.

i believe the same would apply whether its a gov or stat board or other. govt dont get special treatment :p hehe

yqt said:
I don't think there is any law that prevents anyone from taking a shot ( with a camera not a gun OK!!!! :sweatsm: ) of a building from a public place in general, execpt maybe stat board or gov building. If it is a private building, the security guards have no rights to stop you if you're shooting from outside the building. The security guards can't stop you as you're not in their place of responsibilty, but if you're within the compound, they have every right as it may be the instruction pass down from the management of the place.
I once tried to shoot a condo from the outside but did not realise that I'm still within their compound ( along their driveway ), the guard told me to stop saying the management said so. But as usual, he was rude and loud, I just walk a few feet to my right and shoot from the public walkway next to the road. He tried to stop me again and I told him with a smile "I'm not inside your property so you have no right to tell me what to do. This is a public area and if you don't leave me alone, I'll inform your management, your boss and the police that you're harressing me." :devil: The supervisor came and told the guard to go back to the guard room, said sorry to me, and ask if he could know why I'm taking a shot of the condo. I told him I'm doing it for a housing agent friend who is marketing a unit there. He said thank you with a smile and wish me a good day and went about his business.
As I've said in my earlier post, people on the ground are the ones going around making their own "laws", those higher up knows better.

yqt said:

security guard are always so rude and they must shout ... dunno why ... i believe if they are nicer and be gentle most ppl will cooperate.

vince123123 said:
i believe the same would apply whether its a gov or stat board or other. govt dont get special treatment :p hehe

I don't think so........ try shooting a police station and you'll see what I mean :bsmilie:
My friend told me a few years back, he was shooting along a road and did not know that the building next to it is the old CPIB building. He was invited inside for "coffee" for the next 2 hours :sweat:.

Why don't one of you write up an article to the feedback unit, get a definite answer and circulate? I could do it, but I may not be asking the right questions.

Probably in the line of.

What is the legal position of photography (non press photographer)in the following scenarios?

a) non famous people in the street
b) famous people
c) famous people in an event organised by the building owner
d) famous people in an event organised by a tenant of the building.
e) government buildings (not military, but civil, eg: hdb hub, MAS, the new supreme court etc)
f) of the MRT train, of MRT stations, or of people inside the MRT trains
g) of private buildings (from the roadside)
h) are there places where it is illegal to use a photographic tripod?
i) scene of an accident (eg: car crash)

in otherwords, in which situations do you need a model release, in which situations are you legally NOT allowed to take pictures. in which situations are you legally allowed to take pictures for private consumption (ie: not for general publication)

yqt said:
I don't think so........ try shooting a police station and you'll see what I mean :bsmilie:
My friend told me a few years back, he was shooting along a road and did not know that the building next to it is the old CPIB building. He was invited inside for "coffee" for the next 2 hours :sweat:.

free coffee LoL ;p
btw taking photo had what to do with corruption ..... why they invite him for a cup of coffee ???

popeye said:
It's true.
I was stopped by the MRT crew when I tried to photograph the MRT when it stop at marina bay.

why airport can take photo but mrt station cannot ???
if it is about terriost isnt the airport more dangerous ? :dunno:

latmo said:
free coffee LoL ;p
btw taking photo had what to do with corruption ..... why they invite him for a cup of coffee ???

They want to know why he's taking a photo of the CPIB building. 2 hrs because they went to develope the roll of film. Did he get back his roll of film? You wait long long, can get out of there with only a warning consider lucky already!!!!

loupgarou said:
Why don't one of you write up an article to the feedback unit, get a definite answer and circulate? I could do it, but I may not be asking the right questions.

Probably in the line of.

What is the legal position of photography in the following scenarios?
a) non famous people in the street
b) famous people
c) famous people in an event organised by the building owner
d) famous people in an event organised by a tenant of the building.
e) government buildings (not military, but civil, eg: hdb hub, MAS, the new supreme court etc)
f) of the MRT train, of MRT stations, or of people inside the MRT trains
g) of private buildings (from the roadside)
h) are there places where it is illegal to use a photographic tripod?

in otherwords, in which situations do you need a model release, in which situations are you legally NOT allowed to take pictures. in which situations are you legally allowed to take pictures for private consumption (ie: not for general publication)

If possible write to ST fourms. I find it rather distubing.... SLR user are always the target while other "pt and shoot" cam users are happy snapping away beside you when you are getting the warning. :think:

I think the obvious solution is to switch to using a P&S. Take photos with the camera in front of you with outstretched arms, framing the shot using the LCD.

i hate security guards... never had a good experience with them. Most would try to threaten and scold. I wonder how good they are in stopping a crime in action...

Let me tell you guys another story about a friend of mine working in the newspaper.

He saw a traffic accident. Doing his work, he pull over about 100m away, took out his SLR and start clicking away. The police on site spoted him, asked him where he from. My friend showed him his press pass. The police told him to stop shooting, saying he cannot take picture of traffic accident.

Well, my friend stop. Go back to the car, put his SLR away, and took out a compact camera. Went back to the accident and start shooting again, all within 5 mins.

Know what?

The SAME police saw him. But this time did not stop him. Why? nobody knows. My friend's guess was that the police thinks that he is one of those involved in the accident and taking pictures for insurance claim!

fuzzy said:
i hate security guards... never had a good experience with them. Most would try to threaten and scold. I wonder how good they are in stopping a crime in action...

To be fair... some are quite good... EG the guard who shot the robber with the fake gun at Maybank... :D

Zplus said:
To be fair... some are quite good... EG the guard who shot the robber with the fake gun at Maybank... :D

We are talking about different kind of guards. Mayank's attempted robbery involves an armed Cisco guard. Such guards are supposedly well trained in robbery scenarios, whether armed or otherwise, involving hostage situations, etc. The kind of guards stationed at condos, some commercial buildings and malls, etc are generally less educated and not well trained. They are more the 'eyes and ears'. Some of them thinks they are the 'law'.

On a related subject, how does the anti-hijack mechanism of a Cisco van works?

Status
Not open for further replies.