Should Photography be Illegal?


Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vince123123

Guest
#2
In Singapore, the problem is more of security guards who make up laws as they go along. I've already encountered so many of these :)
 

jsbn

Senior Member
Jul 24, 2002
2,944
0
0
Planet Eropagnis
#3
Chew their heads off.

Ask them under which section and chapter of the Penal Code/Civil Law have u breached.

If they can say it out, den by all means, turn us out and away. We will gladly do so. ;)
 

glennyong

Senior Member
May 2, 2004
5,587
0
0
Singapore
#4
yah i encounted this b4... and the guard told me, no camera, no pictures no photography. blah blah.. threatened to call the authorities to throw me out if i take mine out... blehz....

and i got no choice but to keep it. after when the even started, their OWN photographer came... and no wonder... they wanted to sell them at high prices exclusively... see ? and i tell u who is that stinky person...

THE MANAGER FROM K BOX ORCHARD CINELEISURE <--- this person !!! aarrggh...... fuming mad....
 

V

vince123123

Guest
#5
Thats why I said they "make up laws as they go along". :p

jsbn said:
Chew their heads off.

Ask them under which section and chapter of the Penal Code/Civil Law have u breached.

If they can say it out, den by all means, turn us out and away. We will gladly do so. ;)
 

V

vince123123

Guest
#6
if u're in someone's private premises its a diff story altogether actually...

glennyong said:
yah i encounted this b4... and the guard told me, no camera, no pictures no photography. blah blah.. threatened to call the authorities to throw me out if i take mine out... blehz....

and i got no choice but to keep it. after when the even started, their OWN photographer came... and no wonder... they wanted to sell them at high prices exclusively... see ? and i tell u who is that stinky person...

THE MANAGER FROM K BOX ORCHARD CINELEISURE <--- this person !!! aarrggh...... fuming mad....
 

actionman

New Member
Mar 22, 2004
845
0
0
35
www.flickr.com
#7
did anyone have the experience being stopped and questioned by the security when taking pictures of the esplanade at the roof top? i was stopped once by the security and he asked me where i'm from and what are the pictures for. when i told him it's just for hobby sake he told me not to publish them out as there are a lot of "sensitive" stuffs related to the the building (?) (?) :dunno: . maybe that day i was the only 2 or 3 people who were there..
but he din't stop after that lah and i continue taking photos as usual hehe
 

romeo

New Member
May 7, 2002
269
0
0
36
Lost
Visit site
#8
I overheard a tourist once complaining that photography wasn't allowed on the MRT... And he was stopped when he tried to take photos...

Is this true?? Hmmm... :think: :think:
 

yqt

Senior Member
Sep 8, 2004
1,750
0
0
East of Singapore
#9
A few years ago I was doing a shoot for HP on one of their roadshows in a shopping ctr. In order to get a shot of the overview of the whole place with the crowd and stage I went to the 3rd level. As soon as I've frame my shot, a security guard stop me from shooting and ask me what I'm doing. I explained myself and show him my "offical photographer" tag from HP, he than ask me for my name card and IC. I gave them to him and you know what he told me? " You're not allowed to take pictures here. Get back down to the groung floor where you belong or eles I'll have you removed from the building" and he make sure he said this in a loud voice so that everyone there can hear it. I was fuming mad. I went down to the ground floor and inform my client of what happen and I can't get the shot he wanted. My client was hopping mad. He got hold of the A & P manager of the shopping ctr and make her come down to the shopping ctr from her home ( it was a Sunday evening ).
When the A & P manager came down the guard was ask to go home by the boss of the security agency.
If something like this happen to you, control your anger, walk away and after that talk to the one in charge. If you're not happy with his respond, talk to his boss. Usually it is the people on the groung who make up their own "laws" just because they feel they have the power behind the badge. People on the higher level knows better.
 

AReality

Senior Member
Jun 9, 2003
4,458
0
0
VisualJournalist.net
#10
yqt said:
A few years ago I was doing a shoot for HP on one of their roadshows in a shopping ctr. In order to get a shot of the overview of the whole place with the crowd and stage I went to the 3rd level. As soon as I've frame my shot, a security guard stop me from shooting and ask me what I'm doing. I explained myself and show him my "offical photographer" tag from HP, he than ask me for my name card and IC. I gave them to him and you know what he told me? " You're not allowed to take pictures here. Get back down to the groung floor where you belong or eles I'll have you removed from the building" and he make sure he said this in a loud voice so that everyone there can hear it. I was fuming mad. I went down to the ground floor and inform my client of what happen and I can't get the shot he wanted. My client was hopping mad. He got hold of the A & P manager of the shopping ctr and make her come down to the shopping ctr from her home ( it was a Sunday evening ).
When the A & P manager came down the guard was ask to go home by the boss of the security agency.
If something like this happen to you, control your anger, walk away and after that talk to the one in charge. If you're not happy with his respond, talk to his boss. Usually it is the people on the groung who make up their own "laws" just because they feel they have the power behind the badge. People on the higher level knows better.

Most security guards nowdays are on a power trip whenever they put on their uniform...

With authority comes power.
With power comes abuse.

.
 

jsbn

Senior Member
Jul 24, 2002
2,944
0
0
Planet Eropagnis
#12
"With great power, comes great responsibilities"

Obviously either these guys dun watch Spiderman or they think their 1 or 2 strips on their shoulders are bigger den a Singapore Police Force badge or the power of Singapore Judiciary
 

popeye

New Member
Apr 14, 2003
433
0
0
Visit site
#13
romeo said:
I overheard a tourist once complaining that photography wasn't allowed on the MRT... And he was stopped when he tried to take photos...

Is this true?? Hmmm... :think: :think:

It's true.
I was stopped by the MRT crew when I tried to photograph the MRT when it stop at marina bay.
 

Zplus

Senior Member
Mar 16, 2002
2,397
0
0
19
Some equitorial, tropical isle
#14
Oh yeah... some of them are just doing it for action... once I saw a car being checked at Air Freight Centre. The driver was asked to open the car boot for the security guy to check. The next vehicle is a contrainer truck... no need to check... what gives? Is it too troublesome coz its so damn big? Isn't it easier to conceal some weapon in a container truck???

So for photographers... is it becoz we are easily spotted and they can swing into action when we point our lenses openly... I mean if its really a terrorist, I am sure they would use a concealed camera... oh well.... :)

Another incident... there was this event at Plaza Sing and some barrier was erected. But there wasn't enough so the security guy shifted a dustbin to extend the barrier. I happen to be standing there. So the cleaner guy comes and clears the rubbish and promptly shifted it back to its proper place. Next thing you know I was accused of shifting the rubbish bin by the security guy. Gave me a long story about how I "should know" it was part of the barrier. I didn't have a chance to say a thing so I just let him rattle on. When he was finished, I told him the cleaner guy came to clear the rubbish and shifted it back to the proper place. I didn't need to shift the rubbish bin as I have a clear shot of the event anyway. He looked at me... smiled and realised he accused me wrongly and so tried another approach..."what agency are you shooting for??" So I replied... "its just a hobby"... we both looked at Bigma... and I said... "yes, serious hobby..." :)

I guess if you carry a tiny Lumix FZ10 with its ultra zoom you can get away with it. But once you carry a SLR... thats it... :bsmilie:
 

clarinet

Senior Member
Nov 16, 2004
256
0
0
strewberry farm
#16
Have you all seen the "No photography and videography" sign in out national library" Once I'm in this library which had just finish furinshing it permise, I find the area quite nicely decor so... hai I'm wondering should i take the picture or not.
 

blurblock

Senior Member
May 30, 2003
3,827
0
0
ytphoto.clubsnap.org
#18
romeo said:
I wonder why... :think:
a. You have to get a permit or a permission to shoot in the MRT station
b. That is a preventive measure from Terrorist, who know with current situation, which lunatic will take the pictures of any MRT station to go home to study then place some undesireable items somewhere.

For commerical building, I sincerely doubt I know why. I had once been stop by a guard on the roadside of the Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts when I tried to take some pictures of the building, they say it is confidential ...... Wa Liao .... really confidential they should had mask up the building and call it Nanyang Academy of Abstract Arts.
 

clarinet

Senior Member
Nov 16, 2004
256
0
0
strewberry farm
#19
Just dunno why, SLR vs "pt and shoot" cam, SLR user always been qns. I mean which stupid person who want to do reccon will use a big SLR while a "pt and shoot" cam can be so well hidden alway.
 

popeye

New Member
Apr 14, 2003
433
0
0
Visit site
#20
blurblock said:
a. You have to get a permit or a permission to shoot in the MRT station
where you got this information from?
I have never seen such a rule when taking MRT.
Only those $1000 fine thingy when you eat inside the MRT.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom