Should photographers accept models with defects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canonised

Aug 27, 2003
IMHO, a model who has some defects, such as tattoo, skin rashes, and most commonly newly installed braces, bad stained teeth, etc .... MUST notify the organizer of the defect beforehand and when advertising for services or a photoshoot, the photographers must be informed so that one can have the choice to join or not to join the shoot.

There are many instances that the model's image posted looks good but on the actual day, one is presented with a model with some kind of defects.
Of course it is very easy to say that photographers can walk out of the shoot (but who is paying for the travel costs and time?) or reject the model, but because most local photographers are kind-hearted, the shoot is always on even though one gets very annoyed when the model cant smile, cant open her mouth, etc ....

Also models with over-size dresses, uniforms, bigini, bra, etc... (we are NOT shooting goats, SION, etc...)

I beg CS organizers to look into this matter with some responsibility and professionalism ....:dunno:

Tattoos also considered as defects? :dunno:

Tattoos also considered as defects? :dunno:
Some tattoos are nice, as art, but the majority are poorly done or maintained....:sweat:
but generally speaking, in the modeling business, yes, any tattoo is a body defect!

Defects do sound awkward for describing people... call those less desirable features perhaps?

Some tattoos are nice, as art, but the majority are poorly done or maintained....:sweat:
but generally speaking, in the modeling business, yes, any tattoo is a body defect!

This I agreed. Unless they are specified requirements. Moreover, advertisers need a clean image to promote their products, they won't find those with tattoos. :sweat:

IMHO, a model who has some defects, such as tattoo, skin rashes, and most commonly newly installed braces, bad stained teeth, etc .... MUST notify the organizer of the defect beforehand and when advertising for services or a photoshoot, the photographers must be informed so that one can have the choice to join or not to join the shoot.

There are many instances that the model's image posted looks good but on the actual day, one is presented with a model with some kind of defects.
Of course it is very easy to say that photographers can walk out of the shoot (but who is paying for the travel costs and time?) or reject the model, but because most local photographers are kind-hearted, the shoot is always on even though one gets very annoyed when the model cant smile, cant open her mouth, etc ....

Also models with over-size dresses, uniforms, bigini, bra, etc... (we are NOT shooting goats, SION, etc...)

I beg CS organizers to look into this matter with some responsibility and professionalism ....:dunno:

Looks like Uncle was fed up with some of the shoot. :think:

... " newly installed braces .." :sweat: well done ! :thumbsup:

self-pondering..... "hmmm.... if bring up this topic in Freehand Drawing class last time, sure kenna knock on head by art teacher"

My take is that this gives shooters the chance to think and to get creative in bringing out the best in a subject

Last Saturday we literally shot who we made friends with on the back alleys of North Bridge Rd..... warts, tattoos and all (Streets and Candids in Gallery section.... under "CB warm-up...."

Your clients in future will not come with perfect bodies and faces ..... should learn to work with what is available and adapt accordingly......

p/s I dont think God's Gift to Man will come at $30 per photog per session

Last edited:

Agree with you... models have the responsibility to disclose all "defects" & organizers have the responsbility to be carefully screen the models and if it is decided that "defects" are accepted, this has to be made transparent to the photographers.

Over-sized dresses should be avoided, perhaps using some black clips can help to correct some of the bulge to a certain extent...

Overall, I feel that organizers & models have the joint responsibility to ensure that make-up, wardrobe & styling is properly done... and NOT completely expect the photographers to rely on Photoshop to fix things up.

use cloth tape

self-pondering..... "hmmm.... if bring up this topic in Freehand Drawing class last time, sure kenna knock on head by art teacher"

My take is that this gives shooters the chance to think and to get creative in bringing out the best in a subject

Last Saturday we literally shot who we made friends with on the back alleys of North Bridge Rd..... warts, tattoos and all (Streets and Candids in Gallery section.... under "CB warm-up...."

Your clients in future will not come with perfect bodies and faces ..... should learn to work with what is available and adapt accordingly......

p/s I dont think God's Gift to Man will be come at $30 per photog per session

Hey Ed.. argh.. forgot to transfer the $30 to u!!! Will do so.. =p

I don't really attend the group shoots, but based on what I hear on the grapevine, it seems that ogranizers & models are more focused on the $$$ part of group photoshoots, and perhaps the creative/artistic side is being left out... While photographers should be realistic and not expect to shoot Azusa for $30, I think some form of base-line has to be set, IMHO, models should at least have good skin/teeth/hair, be pleasant looking, reasonably proportionate body... outfits & make-up don't need to be avant garde or cutting-edge, but at the very least, need to be fitting and flattering to the model.

Although I'm not a professional photographer, but I feel working with clients is a different matter altogether, as you may or may not be doing glamor or beauty shots all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.