Should one take portrait shots in a fashion show??

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zplus

Mar 16, 2002
Some equitorial, tropical isle
This is not my usual versus post.. ;)

Given the recent flood of fashion shows in Singapore... and many postings.... The selection of lens and composition determines the kind of shots you would have.... So what does one shoot when going to a fashion show???

NO FLAME WARS....NO PERSONAL BASHING....

Just a thread to post your thoughts and comments... ;)

Thought it would be an interesting topic. Not interested in the motivation for photogs in going to fashion shows... there's bound to be many reasons.... wanna try out fashion photography, appreaciate fashion, its my job, got expensive camera but nothing to shoot, oogle at models on catwalk, DOM, etc, etc....

If you are covering the event as a professional photo-journalist then you need to make sure you cover the fashion, i.e. the vast majority of your shots would be full length, highlighting the outfits not the model. You will of course get some closer cropped detail shots, but not that many unless it highlights the detail of the outfit.

If you are an amateur then take what you like there are no rules.

cyber_m0nkey said:
If you are covering the event as a professional photo-journalist then you need to make sure you cover the fashion, i.e. the vast majority of your shots would be full length, highlighting the outfits not the model. You will of course get some closer cropped detail shots, but not that many unless it highlights the detail of the outfit.

If you are an amateur then take what you like there are no rules.

Yes, I agree. On the job you gotta deliver full length shots most of the time. If you are shooting for, say, L'Oreal, then more closeups for makeup and hair would be impt too. Then again a couple of closeups of Lily Cole won't hurt either...

Please vote... I am just curious of the outcome... hahahha ;p
My vote is mixed. But mostly full lengths.

In the Marina Sq shoot, I set my zoom at 100mm (150eq) and shoot full length when the models walk on the runway and then, shoot portraits when they come very near. The spot lights are particular good here.

Purpose of shoot -
A For fun as a hobby
B To test out my lens, my skills, my settings and there are so many in a dSLR! Better than going to the zoo, becos you're in air-con comfort, no need to walk very far and zoo entrance tix not cheap too.

A good equipment, a good vantage point and an eye on fashion photography are needed to take a full length shot..But for us who is still improving their skills in photography with a little access to those outstanding and long range lenses, well, i would settle to portrait shot or maybe mix...whatever is available to me i will take it..:)

No more votes???

Majority take mixed shots.
Seems like many like portrait shots at a fashion show... ;)
Only one is actually working and needs full length shots....
Interesting.....

Current results:
0 No, full length shots only coz that’s what fashion is showcasing
1 No, I have to deliver full length shots
13 Mixed, I have a zoom lens so I like a combination of full length, ¾ and head shots
0 Yes, only when the show is about hair and makeup
8 Yes, portrait shots are OK, I am just shooting for my own pleasure

In my opinion, I simply don't care even if the people at fashion shows takes torso only shots of the models. But what boils is when they post in here, they call it "fashion at xxx..." which simply won't do. It makes people after fashion photos feel cheated after wasting their bandwidth downloading a bunch of nothing than potraits. They should at least have the decency of entitling them as "hot chicks in fashion at xxx..." instead. At least the genuines in here don't waste their time. Wasting time to see what the title dosen't suggest is as good as meeting a road hogger driving on the 1st lane being oblivious that it's public road.

Do we need to use flash? I do not have external flash so I wonder if i try out at the fashion, can i take without flash or should I use the in-built flash on my 350d? Are the spotlight typical bright enough such that no-flash is alright?

Also, will white balance be confused by the camera auto-white-balance given the different color lights when it changed?

any comments?

txv611 said:
Do we need to use flash? I do not have external flash so I wonder if i try out at the fashion, can i take without flash or should I use the in-built flash on my 350d? Are the spotlight typical bright enough such that no-flash is alright?

Also, will white balance be confused by the camera auto-white-balance given the different color lights when it changed?

any comments?
using flash or not will need to depend on the shooting condition, if lighting not good, need fast action shoot, flash is definitely needed. If not, then depend on personal preference, some like to use fill flash to light up the model face, some don't.

question is the model so far away from us still can use my in-built flash?

zcf said:
using flash or not will need to depend on the shooting condition, if lighting not good, need fast action shoot, flash is definitely needed. If not, then depend on personal preference, some like to use fill flash to light up the model face, some don't.

i know liao... hehe... use a Digital MF, or 1Ds Mark II or D2X, den shoot in full length... it will have enuff pixels to even do a 1/2 body, face shot... ;p

txv611 said:
question is the model so far away from us still can use my in-built flash?
If you build in flash range is not enough, then a external stronger flash will help (with a faster recycling time). Even if the in-built flash range is not long enough, it is still better than no flash ;)

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
i know liao... hehe... use a Digital MF, or 1Ds Mark II or D2X, den shoot in full length... it will have enuff pixels to even do a 1/2 body, face shot... ;p

Pro comment!! ;) :thumbsup:

txv611 said:

any comments?

Its personal preference. Some like to shoot ambient light (w/o flash). Depending on the lighting and your aperture and ISO... the shutter speed will vary. If lighting is good, you can do that. But my personal take is that there are too harsh shadows sometimes when using ambient light. So I usually mount a flash to fill in.

Yes, when you have changing lights, its tough. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.