Should i work as part time job a not??

Telsoon

Aug 20, 2011
Singapore...............
i am currently looking for a part time job because i failed my interview at Power station because my age was too young. Should i work to get a better lens ??? or should i spend my holiday taking pictures to build up my portfolio ??

Your comments will be welcome. Introduce me job also can. :)

You can consider getting a part time job at a camera equipment store :)

not only will u earn some $$$ u can also learn about camera equipment

you can do F&B. pay's not bad.

anyways. i believe with youngsters these days it's not about where you get your money. it's how you save

You can consider getting a part time job at a camera equipment store :)

not only will u earn some $$$ u can also learn about camera equipment
I dont mind, it will give me more product knowledge about the equipment but firstly got ppl want hire me?? If got i would love it a lot. =)
Or be a part time photo studio assistant or photographer's assistant
I think my photography skill is not at to that standard , still got a little bit of treads lying here and there. Firstly i need to sell my sony system which i sold half-way through already. And after that i need to decide on which camp to go.=(
you can do F&B. pay's not bad.

anyways. i believe with youngsters these days it's not about where you get your money. it's how you save
Oo, i know F&B not bad but i wanting the pay to be in $7-10 per/hour and i did save my money but it break my heart when i spent it. After all i didn't touch a single cent of it so i want to work and get those item that i desire.

you're young. possibly inexperienced... and want $7-10 an hour?

tsk tsk

You should spend your time study more. I have read most of your post in this forum. I sincerely feel you ought to just concentrate on your studies, from the bottom of my heart. At the same time, learn what is photography before you commit too much into it. You are not at the age where purchasing power is on your side, there are a lot more important places you can spend your money on.

Last edited:
i am currently looking for a part time job because i failed my interview at Power station because my age was too young. Should i work to get a better lens ??? or should i spend my holiday taking pictures to build up my portfolio ??

Your comments will be welcome. Introduce me job also can. :)
By power station, you meant the one opposite VivoCity and before Sentosa Causeway? :bsmilie:

Telsoon said:
I dont mind, it will give me more product knowledge about the equipment but firstly got ppl want hire me?? If got i would love it a lot. =)

I think my photography skill is not at to that standard , still got a little bit of treads lying here and there. Firstly i need to sell my sony system which i sold half-way through already. And after that i need to decide on which camp to go.=(

Oo, i know F&B not bad but i wanting the pay to be in $7-10 per/hour and i did save my money but it break my heart when i spent it. After all i didn't touch a single cent of it so i want to work and get those item that i desire.

Actually $7/hr is not that tough to find. I used to work in F&B outlets and some do pay that amount.

you're young. possibly inexperienced... and want $7-10 an hour?

tsk tsk
i did have some experience in hospitality line. But not in F&B because im not those type that can carry heavy plates but i can assist people.
You should spend your time study more. I have read most of your post in this forum. I sincerely feel you ought to just concentrate on your studies, from the bottom of my heart. At the same time, learn what is photography before you commit too much into it. You are not at the age where purchasing power is on your side, there are a lot more important places you can spend your money on.
Thanks a lot David, what you say really go in to my heart this time, i did study while working, currently working on O level , just completed my GCE N level (T syllabus). i am thinking of Study in the day and work abit at night around 5-10pm?? Because my type of studying usually occur efficiently in the day. i decided that i will use my SONY A290L and train with the dslr when im free to take picture. i want to prove to my friend that my picture can be as nice as him although his dslr is 1k more than me. =)

Thanks for the lecture after all. =)
By power station, you meant the one opposite VivoCity and before Sentosa Causeway? :bsmilie:
Yup.
Actually $7/hr is not that tough to find. I used to work in F&B outlets and some do pay that amount.
But now days it seems to be hard to find as i usually found is 5-6 bucks.

banqueting is the F&B job that pays more than $7 an hour. but as your said, you can't carry heavy stuff. at your age it's better to concentrate on your studies like David said. you can always take up photography 10 years down the road. but to reclaim your education 10 years from now... is very tough.

i want to prove to my friend that my picture can be as nice as him although his dslr is 1k more than me. =)

This is exactly the reason why I say you shouldn't go further with photography and concentrate on your study instead. This is what I saw in one of your post about why you need to upgrade your gear because you see one of your friend is using a Canon gear and yours being Sony Alpha cannot deliver nice pictures. Someone show you what can be done even for a Iphone 4G camera and I see it myself, it is indeed an art.

I said all these is not to embarrass you, but from my standpoint, you are not mature enough to go into such a hobby which is expensive. Go and study, don't even bother to take a part time job to facilitate this hobby, you will only learn things the hard way if you continue to venture this route. When you have develop further and understand what is art, then re-visit this hobby.

Art is not about proving your point or proving that your gear being entry level makes better images than pro cameras. Art is far more than just making photos that others like. It is an expression that you need to understand. Some people learn through the process of trying out. Some end up not appreciating art and make it a competitive process of trying to show off who is better. What's the point ? You are good, someone is better. It's an endless cycle. Before you start, learn how to appreciate yourself and what you can do. You ought to be happy and interested in what you do first, then you will learn something good out of it.

Let me tell you a bit about myself.
I have always love art since I'm young, but unfortunately somehow no matter how I drew on papers, my art teacher always give me a C. I don't understand why. There are a few students in my class just can draw much better and deliver like an artist. If I am like you just keep on wanna compete, I will end up being a loser because I totally defeat the purpose of why I like art in the first place. But of course, given I have lack of talent in art, I can't possibly be better than him no matter how hard I try.

On the other hand, photography though largely on art, also consist of heavy monetary investment that is not art related. I don't hope to see that you go into the wrong route and end up in debts or face any financial problems in your future. Or perhaps you decided to go astray just to facilitate your so called "photography".

For me, I have chosen technologies as my studies, career and also my hobby. In your growing stage, your preferences will change as you grow and expose to more stuffs in the future. What I am telling you now is just suspend what you think is the best for you and try something else instead. When you found something you like and you can make a living out of it, you will enjoy the process more and reap more from it.

Now that I are doing sufficiently well in my career, I have the purchasing power to re-visit art which is also giving me a channel to express my notion of art. Moreover now that photography has gone digital, it becomes more coherent with what I do for life.

Do yourself a favor. Go and re-think what you need in life and what you want to achieve in life. Photography doesn't has to be your first choice. If you really like it so much, revisit it when you grow up and understand more.

Meanwhile concentrate on your studies and get good results so that you can aim further in your life. The society is very harsh and demanding on your qualification. If you don't have a good cert, you probably can't go further or at least makes it a lot harder. If not, why do you think so many parents invested so much of their time and money into their children's education ? Education is everything, cert is not everything, but having a cert is like a ticket to give you that extra push so that your starting point is in front of others. That doesn't' mean you don't need to work hard. Heard of the "The tortoise and the Hare" story ?

All the best to you.

Last edited:
dont work part time at a camera shop, that's the worst job... 100% kena BBB..

Last edited:
This is exactly the reason why I say you shouldn't go further with photography and concentrate on your study instead. This is what I saw in one of your post about why you need to upgrade your gear because you see one of your friend is using a Canon gear and yours being Sony Alpha cannot deliver nice pictures. Someone show you what can be done even for a Iphone 4G camera and I see it myself, it is indeed an art.

I said all these is not to embarrass you, but from my standpoint, you are not mature enough to go into such a hobby which is expensive. Go and study, don't even bother to take a part time job to facilitate this hobby, you will only learn things the hard way if you continue to venture this route. When you have develop further and understand what is art, then re-visit this hobby.

Art is not about proving your point or proving that your gear being entry level makes better images than pro cameras. Art is far more than just making photos that others like. It is an expression that you need to understand. Some people learn through the process of trying out. Some end up not appreciating art and make it a competitive process of trying to show off who is better. What's the point ? You are good, someone is better. It's an endless cycle. Before you start, learn how to appreciate yourself and what you can do. You ought to be happy and interested in what you do first, then you will learn something good out of it.

Let me tell you a bit about myself.
I have always love art since I'm young, but unfortunately somehow no matter how I drew on papers, my art teacher always give me a C. I don't understand why. There are a few students in my class just can draw much better and deliver like an artist. If I am like you just keep on wanna compete, I will end up being a loser because I totally defeat the purpose of why I like art in the first place. But of course, given I have lack of talent in art, I can't possibly be better than him no matter how hard I try.

On the other hand, photography though largely on art, also consist of heavy monetary investment that is not art related. I don't hope to see that you go into the wrong route and end up in debts or face any financial problems in your future. Or perhaps you decided to go astray just to facilitate your so called "photography".

For me, I have chosen technologies as my studies, career and also my hobby. In your growing stage, your preferences will change as you grow and expose to more stuffs in the future. What I am telling you now is just suspend what you think is the best for you and try something else instead. When you found something you like and you can make a living out of it, you will enjoy the process more and reap more from it.

Now that I are doing sufficiently well in my career, I have the purchasing power to re-visit art which is also giving me a channel to express my notion of art. Moreover now that photography has gone digital, it becomes more coherent with what I do for life.

Do yourself a favor. Go and re-think what you need in life and what you want to achieve in life. Photography doesn't has to be your first choice. If you really like it so much, revisit it when you grow up and understand more.

Meanwhile concentrate on your studies and get good results so that you can aim further in your life. The society is very harsh and demanding on your qualification. If you don't have a good cert, you probably can't go further or at least makes it a lot harder. If not, why do you think so many parents invested so much of their time and money into their children's education ? Education is everything, cert is not everything, but having a cert is like a ticket to give you that extra push so that your starting point is in front of others. That doesn't' mean you don't need to work hard. Heard of the "The tortoise and the Hare" story ?

All the best to you.

what do you mean by "For me, I have chosen technologies as my studies, career and also my hobby. In your growing stage, your preferences will change as you grow and expose to more stuffs in the future. What I am telling you now is just suspend what you think is the best for you and try something else instead. When you found something you like and you can make a living out of it, you will enjoy the process more and reap more from it."

i cant be studying everyday and i dont play computer games at home.

what do you mean by "For me, I have chosen technologies as my studies, career and also my hobby. In your growing stage, your preferences will change as you grow and expose to more stuffs in the future. What I am telling you now is just suspend what you think is the best for you and try something else instead. When you found something you like and you can make a living out of it, you will enjoy the process more and reap more from it."

He is trying to say that he like technologies and studied for it, graduated and work on it, his only free time is still working :bsmilie: You may like cameras now but when your friend start driving you around in a girl magnet car, you may wanna save up for a car of your own and go down to the future changi track to impress some racers and of coz, more girls. So studies is important for someone at your age as it is almost proportional to salary you will be getting in future and that translate to money to mod car and treat girls to movies. So your primary job is a student, go do it well then worry about your secondary

i cant be studying everyday and i dont play computer games at home.

Then study 6 days a week, one day short of everyday and start some photo project with your current camera gear so you can realise your future needs and sharpen the skill if you are still fascinated with photography

Last edited:
He is trying to say that he like technologies and studied for it, graduated and work on it, his only free time is still working :bsmilie: You may like cameras now but when your friend start driving you around in a girl magnet car, you may wanna save up for a car of your own and go down to the future changi track to impress some racers and of coz, more girls. So studies is important for someone at your age as it is almost proportional to salary you will be getting in future and that translate to money to mod car and treat girls to movies. So your primary job is a student, go do it well then worry about your secondary.

Then study 6 days a week, one day short of everyday and start some photo project with your current camera gear so you can realise your future needs and sharpen the skill if you are still fascinated with photography

@blurshot:

Exactly my point, except my free time is not working. Not now anymore :)

@Telsoon:

If you have not start playing computer games, then go and play some. If you have not tried bowling and snookering, go try it. If you have not tried playing outdoor games like RC vehicles, basketball, badminton, diving courses, go try it. You might find at the end photography is not really what you love most.

Like I say and have keep on repeatedly stress no further, studies is your paramount objective, not all these photography and so forth. For me, I totally object to working part time for a student. I know what others rationale might says like getting some experience, learning some real world experiences. It's good to have, but not necessary for a student. You don't need to experience everything to know how it feels. You don't need to try abusing of drugs, to know that it is a bad thing to even attempt it. If you managed to study well and work well, you will get your worthy portion of renumeration that will allow you to stretch much further than what you can achieve now.

At your age in secondary, I urge you to save your energy to study. Study comes in a lot of forms, it is not just facing your books. Study comes from learning the right thing from libraries, from your peers, from the Internet. Learning comes from your daily life staying curious. Curious with limits, always be sure that you are safe from dangers when approaching new things. If you like photography ? Go hang out with some good photography peers your age, older than you too, and learn what their skills are. Not learn how to compare your gears and whose is better. There is no best gear.

Look Canon just launch another new beast EOS 1D X. You feel it is the best ? Yah for now, 3 years down the road, you get Mark 2 Mark 3 and so forth ? Going this direction means you are just feeding all these manufacturers money for things you don't know how to appreciate. Always remember these are just cold metal, plastic, glass and semiconductors. They are tools, not your baby. You don't have to love them, you need to know how to make them useful to you. If you failed to use them properly, it's your skill that sucks, not the gears. Compared to many years back, your camera easily surpass a lot of those older SLR. Yet photographer pioneers managed to deliver photos that makes the audience visually impressed, so why can't your entry level DSLR do better than them ? Why do you need to compare your cheaper gear and says it can't make photos that are better looking than a more expensive one ? It doesn't make sense at all.

Take photography casually and you will learn more. Make it too deliberate, you will likely miss the point. Art is not something you get frustrated over. It is something you love it and you just love that way it is.

i get what you guys mean already. i dont like to play snooker often because it will eat my money, i am looking for things or activites that can release stress that don't need that much money.

i get what you guys mean already. i dont like to play snooker often because it will eat my money, i am looking for things or activites that can release stress that don't need that much money.

Plentiful of such activities. All you need is open up your mind and try out things.