Should I wait for Sitex or the year-end sale to purchase a new DSLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mareth

Nov 4, 2008
Hi Folks,

I've always wanted to explore photography, but din't really do so due to financial restrictions when I was younger. Now abit stable liao, (and sick of work, home, work, home life) I tot I could pick up a new hobby! :)

I'm thinking of getting my 1st DSLR, have been doing my homework for the past few days and torn between running down to CP to purchase one or to wait for prices to drop during the holiday seasons. (Fren said that silly to buy now coz price sure drop end of year)

Can any expert enlighten me if there will be better offers/promos during the sitek show or during the year end?

Also is it worthwhile to invest in a Nikkon D90 when I'm a total greenhorn, or should I start out with a D60 and fiddle with it 1st?

D90 price is almost twice of D60... and makes me wonder will I make full use of all the features... Do i even know how to! :p

Thanks for taking time to read this...
:)

Hi Folks,

I've always wanted to explore photography, but din't really do so due to financial restrictions when I was younger. Now abit stable liao, (and sick of work, home, work, home life) I tot I could pick up a new hobby! :)

I'm thinking of getting my 1st DSLR, have been doing my homework for the past few days and torn between running down to CP to purchase one or to wait for prices to drop during the holiday seasons. (Fren said that silly to buy now coz price sure drop end of year)

Can any expert enlighten me if there will be better offers/promos during the sitek show or during the year end?

Also is it worthwhile to invest in a Nikkon D90 when I'm a total greenhorn, or should I start out with a D60 and fiddle with it 1st?

D90 price is almost twice of D60... and makes me wonder will I make full use of all the features... Do i even know how to! :p

I recommend get a second hand instead to get an idea of what you are getting into as thats what i did.

for most part, the pro and con over waiting for better price is that if buy now can use now and if buy later got chance a few weeks/months later will have a better model/package come out.

Hi Mareth,

1st of all, Welcome to clubsnap.

In my opinion, a D90 is good camera to start with and able to last you quite a while or even till its eol. I do not know the price but I would think that there's little reason to get a d60 as its only able to af using afs/afi/hsm/bim lenses. You'll miss out on the cheap/wonderful 50mm f1.8.:eek: A couple of my friends bought D40/d40x and end up changing it few months later.

From my source of pricing, the D90 body is about $1.4k? you have a wide range of lense choices for a start.

Alternatively I would go for a used D80 if its cheap enuff say ~$700?. :thumbsup:

Sitex usually doesn't offer very good deals on camera packages.

They lump alot of things (cheap tripod, cheap camera bags) into a package which you are better off getting on your own.

There actually issin much of real discount in the comp fairs, except throwing in of alot of so called freebies that you most probably do not need.
U r better off hunting for a good deal in the other camera shops for new bodies.
Second hand bodies are of course cheaper, and you can source them on our Personal Classified section.

Ryan

Thanks for the prompt help~ (post b4 going work, reach office got reply liao! hehe)

From all the replies, seems like there is no point waiting huh~

Also what should I look out for if I were to buy 2nd hand?
I had bad experiences buying 2nd hand electronics b4.. That's why I do prefer 1st hand items.

Went down to CP to "have a feel" of the D60 & D90 yesterday.

I think I have small girly hands... D60 seems to fit my hands more~ but I do find the features of D90 very appealing...

swordman: R u suggesting that I get the D90 body and get own lens instead of the kit lens? Seems like a very wide choice of lens.. (blurred)

Last edited:
why not get the D90 with 18-105 VR kit lens 1st?
After you are used to the camera & you know what you like to shoot then slowly select/purchase other Lens you need. :think:

I think plan on your budget first.
I too wanted a new DSLR, wanted to wait for Sitex. But then, thought otherwise.

Went to get a 2nd hand D40. Just started to play with it. I intend to play until its totally rotten or until its is too low in performance for me. Budget was the other issue, and I remembered what many said here. Its the human eye rather than the camera that matters.

swordman: R u suggesting that I get the D90 body and get own lens instead of the kit lens? Seems like a very wide choice of lens.. (blurred)

I've checked the price of the kit, its 1.6k+, in that case, its more worth to get the kit set that comes with the 18-105vr.

Good startup, wide range lense. ;)

I was actually thinking of the 16-85vrII instead but abit ex. not worth to top up.

My budget was actually around 1.2k... so somehow it was stuck in-between the 2 model...
(Price quoted me when i was at CP: D60-$880, D90-$1750)

Of coz I will like the best value for money for the SLR ( not very rich ;( )

swordman where u get tat price?

My budget was actually around 1.2k... so somehow it was stuck in-between the 2 model...
(Price quoted me when i was at CP: D60-$880, D90-$1750)

Of coz I will like the best value for money for the SLR ( not very rich ;( )

swordman where u get tat price?

I got the price from Lords! :cool:

sitex should be more or less same price based on recommended retail price, only difference is they give more cheapo freebies

Hey bro,

i have stand through almost 12 It shows.

The prices are usually dead to play around with.
The only reason for you to buy there is for more of the valuable freebies.
Anyway from our industry speculations among the professionals, there may be a price dip.

So my advice is to be patient and just take a look at the IT fairs, if u are not happy with the prices there, just go ahead to the popular stores during the IT fair period and bargain for a better deal.

If u are on a budget, go to the professional stores and get a better price.

If u wanna purchase it now, do look me up. I will be happy to quote u a good price.
Brand new local set. :D

Hi Folks,

Go and borrow a compact PnS camera to shoot first. There are quite a few functions you can do in PnS now. Try it. If you think that you are really really serious and have the passion for photography.....

Guess what, PnS also take good picture. stick to it for the time being. Photography is also an Art.

I did own a Nikon Coolpix b4 but lost aka donated it to a cab driver.... :cry:

Thx for all the helpful advise~ :)

I think I will stick to my budget and consider either canon 450D or Nikon 60D. Both within my budget...

Better to go down to the shop and feel it.. (But I feel very newbie when i fiddling with the cameras and the salesperson staring at me... haha)

I did own a Nikon Coolpix b4 but lost aka donated it to a cab driver.... :cry:

Thx for all the helpful advise~ :)

I think I will stick to my budget and consider either canon 450D or Nikon 60D. Both within my budget...

Better to go down to the shop and feel it.. (But I feel very newbie when i fiddling with the cameras and the salesperson staring at me... haha)
If you want to try out nikon dSLRs without salesman pressure, I suggest you head to the Nikon showroom at Anson Road if its convenient for you.

Just tell the friendly staff what camera you want to try out and what lens, and he will lend you the battery, SD/CF card and lens. Plenty of equipment there for you to test and knowledgeable staff to help you out with the camera. Best thing is they don't get impatient or give black face when you don't buy, since its a showroom and they don't do sales there anyway.

If you want to test out canon dSLRs, they have a showroom at vivocity.

Hope this helps! :)

Hey all, I was browsing for a good deal in buying a D80 Kit and read that the price for d90 is just 1.7 K+ please be kind and tell me where I can purchase this d90 kit

my suggestion is that if u r serious into getting to photography... probably it will be good to hv a new body rather than a second hand ones... as for which model.. it really depends on ur budget and how far u into to go into expanding the kit... as for the lens... u can get a 2nd hands one.. most of the csers here kept their lens in prime conditions.. and its better cos as u expand ur gears.. u need a deep pocket... and sometimes.. u might find u bought a lens but its not suitable for u... so u would want to trade it off and etc...

i think no harm to wait for IT show... but like many said no point lah.. i got my sony in a IT fair.. yah.. quite a few freebies... but probably its not far off if u get it from other shops... esp the first thing i got rid of is the camera bag which a big SONY logo and no even weather proof.. guess wat.. SONY is selling it at $100+... so i wonder... the downside of IT fair is that u dun really have the chance to test out the camera.. a lot of pple and its noisy.. i couldnt even hear what the salesman was saying to me...

i dun use nikon... but i read the D90 review.. i believe it worth the cents... my experience is that cos of my budget i bought A200... but now i feel that i can do a bit more so wanna upgrade to A700 but stuck with A200... so do take the time to think through... but again.. if u are not sure... then better to get those entry level...

.. (But I feel very newbie when i fiddling with the cameras and the salesperson staring at me... haha)

I understand how you feel. Why not try John 3:16 at Funan. Samuel, the shopowner's son, is super friendly and you can fiddle all you want without feeling pressured :bsmilie: But they are pretty busy most of the time. Try to catch them during off-peak times (during office hours).

Thx lightbrush I think I will drop by John to check it out. Hope its more newbie friendly there :)
The Nikon showroom abit ulu to go to.. :S

Dmon888: I got the price at Cathay Photos.. U can find the price guide and recommended retail shops in the stickies. (That is where i got my info from) ;)
Lords got better price according to swordman :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.