Should I wait for Canon 60D

Josephchlee

Aug 31, 2010
East Coast
Should I wait for Canon 60D or go ahead and buy Canon 550D, anticipating that the faster AF and havier weight of 60D will suit me better? How long should I have to wait? ;p

what do you take? whats ur style?

what do you want to use ur camera for? will you shoot daily? do you need the functions of a 60D?

some answers to these sort of questions will help..

I think you should skip 60D and wait for 70D.

Thanks, travel often and using point and shoot Lumix now, need a better cam to record the many beautiful places, so no hurry as I want a good buy, unfortunately do not know how to share some of my photos at this time.

Thanks, travel often and using point and shoot Lumix now, need a better cam to record the many beautiful places, so no hurry as I want a good buy, unfortunately do not know how to share some of my photos at this time.

travelling with a DSLR is very much different from traveling with a PnS..

its not the same..

the weight the space... the lens, the tripod.. the everything..

you have to be prepared to lug it around if you are traveling type...

if not i would recommend you get a prosumer, micro4/3, Mirrorless Interchangeable camera...

good quality to record ur travels.. no hassle with lens changing, carrying, tripod etc etc..

travel is meant to be for the experience.. photos only help to show where you've been etc... don't let carrying a DSLR make ur travel experience not as enjoyable..

Thanks but the reason we wanted a much better cam is to catch some once in a life time scene eg jumping dolphins in a fast moving boat and we already have the reliable lumix for our long hike, anyway weight is not a problem to me and I hate tripod preferring to just lie on the ground and shoot. Like to share some photos but do not know how at this time. With F1 round the corner wander why the 60D is not released. ;p

Thanks but the reason we wanted a much better cam is to catch some once in a life time scene eg jumping dolphins in a fast moving boat and we already have the reliable lumix for our long hike, anyway weight is not a problem to me and I hate tripod preferring to just lie on the ground and shoot. Like to share some photos but do not know how at this time. With F1 round the corner wander why the 60D is not released. ;p

Answer to 2nd question:
Because the 7D is there to take care of all the fast action shots.

If you are not willing to pack a tripod, and want to take landscape pictures during your hike, i strongly suggest you not bring a DSLR in the first place. A very good pro photographer once told me. 不带三脚架,拍什么风景照?If don't bring tripod, how to take landscape photo?

Last edited:
i think you should wait for XXD.

do u know ansel adam is?

u better wait for the next 8d...:)

like i mentioned in the other thread :

550d
viewfinder 0.87x
pentamirror = dimmer

60d
viewfinder 0.96x
pentaprism = brighter
windcut function during recording
swival lcd

yes i know alot of people say wa, don't mind carrying a DSLR and take "nice" photos when on holiday..

but just to warn you..

its not just the weight of the camera but also the lens... unless ofcos you are sticking with kit lens 18-55 then yup the weight isn't much..

and actually to capture fast scenes.. your DSLR might not actually be the best thing to get.. you need to do the settings, metering etc.. by the time you actually set and focus and shoot.. the dolphin disappear le.. if you just going to put on AUTO mode and shoot.. then might as well shoot with your PnS... thats why its called a point and shoot.. there are also probably sports modes or landscape modes on a PnS to suit the occasion..

and with the kit lens 18-55, you not going to be able to zoom much.. so holiday sometimes you won't be able to zoom in to take pics.. ur Lumix can beat it..

then ofcos the point brought up by DareDevil.... no tripod, then taking those nice landscapes shot is rather difficult.. if you are traveling and wanna capture stunning scenery you need the tripod.. otherwise you just might do better with a PnS and maybe the sunset mode..

if you really wanna get something other than a PnS, take a look at the models such as Panasonic G2, Sony Nex, Samsung NX10 etc... they're smaller, lighter, as easy to use as possible.. better IQ than other PnS.. offering you the best alternative...

Among 40D, 50D , 60D, I would still stick to 40D. the price difference ( plus top up abit ) of a 2nd hand 40D and a brand new 60D, can get a very good lens, eg 17-55mm f2.8 IS usm

Ok this is the 2nd time I see you saying this to advice pple on tripods haha.

Answer to 2nd question:
Because the 7D is there to take care of all the fast action shots.

If you are not willing to pack a tripod, and want to take landscape pictures during your hike, i strongly suggest you not bring a DSLR in the first place. A very good pro photographer once told me. 不带三脚架,拍什么风景照?If don't bring tripod, how to take landscape photo?

Ok this is the 2nd time I see you saying this to advice pple on tripods haha.

And I will say it many many more times.

Bring camera, bring lenses, bring this and that.. on a trip where you want to take in the beauty and shoot landscape... Shoot nice pictures... But unwilling to bring tripod...:bigeyes:

It is a disconnect.

Most beautiful times of the day is sunrise and sunset. These are the times when you wish you had a good camera if you don't. If brought a good camera with lenses, but no tripod, how to shoot nice landscape pictures during these times? Rest it on the ground? you sure can get good perspective all the time doing that? :dunno:

Want to go, go all the way. Don't go halfway. If want to save weight, then save weight all the way and just bring a PnS or compact prosumer. Even when I save weight and bring PnS, I will also bring a mini tripod.

Last edited:

Bring camera, bring lenses, bring this and that.. on a trip where you want to take in the beauty and shoot landscape... Shoot nice pictures... But unwilling to bring tripod...:bigeyes:

It is a disconnect.

Most beautiful times of the day is sunrise and sunset. These are the times when you wish you had a good camera if you don't. If brought a good camera with lenses, but no tripod, how to shoot nice landscape pictures during these times? Rest it on the ground? you sure can get good perspective all the time doing that? :dunno:

Want to go, go all the way. Don't go halfway. If want to save weight, then save weight all the way and just bring a PnS or compact prosumer. Even when I save weight and bring PnS, I will also bring a mini tripod.
Maybe TS stronger than you leh, can handhold 30 sec exposure

Anyway I think for landscapes, a lower end camera like 550D should suffice since you'd probably not need the faster controls since you have time to set up. For tripods, there are alternatives, like gorilla pod and stuff, not sure how well they would perform for long exposures but tripods are still the best.

Maybe TS stronger than you leh, can handhold 30 sec exposure

Anyway I think for landscapes, a lower end camera like 550D should suffice since you'd probably not need the faster controls since you have time to set up. For tripods, there are alternatives, like gorilla pod and stuff, not sure how well they would perform for long exposures but tripods are still the best.

WAH so power ah~! handhold for 30 secs???

thats madness lor..

hmmm thats why i keep saying if don't need 7D why buy? take the money go and buy 4D better... :think:

Yes I fully agree to that. I feel so much more relieved and not insecure whenever I have my tripod with me. Want to take photos have to be diligent la. Haha.

It is a disconnect.

WAH so power ah~! handhold for 30 secs???

thats madness lor..

hmmm thats why i keep saying if don't need 7D why buy? take the money go and buy 4D better... :think:
That one waste more money :bsmilie:

If you want to do that, can give me the money instead ;)