Should I use light tents/boxes for product photography to achieve consistency?

chevvy

Nov 9, 2020
Hi! I need some advices for product photography. I have been trying to achieve accurate colors, consistent angles and lighting for my products to look as realistic as possible. Is it recommend to use a light tent/ box with continuous light or should I be using flashes to achieve consistency in my shots? Thanks!

There is no one easy answer to solve your questions as it is not specific enough like what kind of product are you shooting as it's such a vast range from fabrics to surfaces that have reflections like jewelry or watches, etc.

If you want accurate colours then you have to select/ choose the correct white balance and I don't advise to use auto white balance but if you are using flash to select accordingly. The more accurate way is to do a custom white balance using a gray / black white card and or for colour use a standard colour chart.

Next is your light source which is flash which lets you adjust the light output power but it's harder to find a not so expensive Led continuos light with a good colour output spectrum which closely mimic as daylight. You just have to try or experiment which mean spending more money.

After this is how you want to light your product and the look you want to achieve. For instance if you use a light tent which is trying to get a soft even lighting and a high key effect which means lots of bright areas or low key look with lots of dark shadowy areas. A light tent will give a flat look. There may be more than one light lighting a light tent. It's how creative you want to envision your product.

Hope this starts you off to find out more about product photography.

Lastly the lens you use must be of good quality in terms of sharpness and colour although you can do a decent job with a kit lens. More important is use a tripod for supporting the camera for sharp photos preventing camera shake.

How to white balance.

Thank you for the help! Right now I am now using flashes tilted at a ~45 degree upwards to create a soft light onto a white background, shooting in manual, using custom white balance and tripod. One main issue is reflections/shadows from the glass bottles and plastic surfaces that I am shooting. I often get unwanted shadows and reflections from myself/ background because often I have to shoot from the front/ top (not the creative and aesthetic kind of shoot where I can explore different angles). I was thinking maybe a light box will be better at blocking out the reflections and shadows compared to the current set-up I am using, do you have any tips for me? Thank you!

Many ways to do it. There are cheap and more elaborate setups like this. Use back lighting. Take note a light tent is a 5 sided diffuser and reflector.

How to light a product.

The principles are the same if you use your own flashes. Shoot on white background. There's a light illuminating the background.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing! This definitely helped a lot!

Hi! I need some advices for product photography. I have been trying to achieve accurate colors, consistent angles and lighting for my products to look as realistic as possible. Is it recommend to use a light tent/ box with continuous light or should I be using flashes to achieve consistency in my shots? Thanks!
Light tents are great to use. Using flash modifiers