Should I use dry box or dry cabinet?

Csboi

Jul 18, 2011
Pulau Ubin
Hi everyone, currently I have one dry box with the meter. And I have 2 packs of the dehumifying agent inside. But the issue is that it's pink now. It said put under the sun to dry it. But I place it under sun and it still remains pink. :( should I put it in microwave oven? Will it explode? Or release any harmful substances? Might be a stupid question to ask. But just want to clarify. I don't think a dry cabinet will be good for me. Because I don't have a lot of equipment. Thanks all.

Put in microwave, 1 min, then check. Not blue then put another 1 min.

Hi everyone, currently I have one dry box with the meter. And I have 2 packs of the dehumifying agent inside. But the issue is that it's pink now. It said put under the sun to dry it. But I place it under sun and it still remains pink. :( should I put it in microwave oven? Will it explode? Or release any harmful substances? Might be a stupid question to ask. But just want to clarify. I don't think a dry cabinet will be good for me. Because I don't have a lot of equipment. Thanks all.

Putting the silica gel in the microwave oven will not explode, don't worry about it. But not many people like to do it. How long had you put your silica gel in the sun, btw.

However you should get yourself a dry cabinet... small one will do, it will save you quite a bit of headache... because sometime when you are pretty busy, you might forget to check your silica gel.

Putting the silica gel in the microwave oven will not explode, don't worry about it. But not many people like to do it. How long had you put your silica gel in the sun, btw.

However you should get yourself a dry cabinet... small one will do, it will save you quite a bit of headache... because sometime when you are pretty busy, you might forget to check your silica gel.

I put under the sun for 6 hours. But still pinkish. Lol how small? I see all 30l type. Still quite big. Got just one layer? Or 2? Yah true. Kind of worried now. Cos the meter is above 60. Later go home need to put the pack into microwave oven Liao. Gt any website to recommend?

I put under the sun for 6 hours. But still pinkish. Lol how small? I see all 30l type. Still quite big. Got just one layer? Or 2? Yah true. Kind of worried now. Cos the meter is above 60. Later go home need to put the pack into microwave oven Liao. Gt any website to recommend?

Actually, you can put the silica gel in a heat resistant bottle then use the hair dryer (hot air, not the cool air) to blow at it for abt 10mins..

I personally do NOT recommend the microwave option.. anything can go wrong and there goes your microwave and also potential cause of food poisoning when you next use your microwave..

Spend the $1XX on the dry cabinet and save the trouble.

Last edited:

I think smallest dry cabinet is 30L. But you might want to get that... I got myself a 60L and now it is running out of space. You might only have a few lens and camera now, but you might buy more lens in future (depending on your interest though).

As to microwaving your silica gel... I don't know... but if I do it at home, my dad is going to scream... so no choice but to put under sun. However in Singapore nowaday, it is very humid and don't know why, it can be quite a rainy season, so you might need very long time under the sun.

So best bet is still buy a dry cabinet.

I think smallest dry cabinet is 30L. But you might want to get that... I got myself a 60L and now it is running out of space. You might only have a few lens and camera now, but you might buy more lens in future (depending on your interest though).

As to microwaving your silica gel... I don't know... but if I do it at home, my dad is going to scream... so no choice but to put under sun. However in Singapore nowaday, it is very humid and don't know why, it can be quite a rainy season, so you might need very long time under the sun.

So best bet is still buy a dry cabinet.

There are 26L and 15L ones just that its more difficult to find, some more, when it comes to dry cabinets, the bigger the better :bsmilie:

Yo friend, junk the silica gel. Get a drycab!
Dun waste time frying the silical gel. Spend your money (not much) on a drycab & save all the trouble. A 30L drycab has 2 trays & can store around 3 bodies & a few lenses & it controls the RH automatically. That will ease your mind.
Spend your time taking photographs rather than devote your time on frying silica gel ;)

well im using a 25L dry cabinet now.. so far no problem..

storing 2 body (with lens attached) and another 2 lens.. still got space for a flash haha

^^ its not that big also actually..

Alright thanks guys. Don't really need such big one. Maybe should buy 2nd hand.

Should have upgraders selling their 30l. I gave it to my brother :)

Haha alright! Thanks :D

You should get a dry cabinet for the longer run.

And yes, the cobalt chloride thing that causes the change in color in your silica gel beads is carcinogenic.

eventually u will need a bigger one...i had a 60L...and now im regretting i didnt get a bigger one....so now its either to sell it...or just buy another 60L..

I've heard of pp who "fry" them over the stove.
(Get those cheap pot from daiso)

But seriously, just get a dry cabinet. It saves you a lot of trouble.
I tried using the silica gel but gave up within 2 weeks. It turns pink too fast. I can't catch up! ;p

Yea the best is to buy a dry cabinet. it wont cost u that much..but save u alot of time and headaches. from small to very big ones depending on your budget and need.

and trust me.. after u got 1.. u will wish u had got it earlier.

Yea the best is to buy a dry cabinet. it wont cost u that much..but save u alot of time and headaches. from small to very big ones depending on your budget and need.

and trust me.. after u got 1.. u will wish u had got it earlier.

What other things you guys use dry cabinet to store other than camera body and lenses? Just curious to know. And is it very power consuming?

What other things you guys use dry cabinet to store other than camera body and lenses? Just curious to know. And is it very power consuming?

Basically I just store my lenses and cameras bodies... Actually I am not sure how heavily it consume power... I would suspect it to be in the range of a small fridge or lesser.