Should i upgrading frm Nikon D60 to Canon 550D

adrianok2

Oct 30, 2009
Singapore
Hey guys...need some advise frm u guys...i have been using my nikon d60 for a years n i felt tat it started cant meet my expections...my fren recommend me to change to canon 550d coz he say canon technolgy is faster than nikon...n he recommend me to change to canon 550 coz 550d has high ISO n full hd video...should i upgrade to canon 550D..

do you have any other lens that is nikon mount? changing system can be quite costly. Not too sure about whose technology is faster, however you shouldn't be changing your body so soon anyway, so what if it's true that canon technology is faster when you miss out the fun of taking good photos? just my 99 cents. :)

i feel that the 550D doesn't handle high ISO as well as the D5000/D90....

18 mp, the noise will b very obvious

Hey guys...need some advise frm u guys...i have been using my nikon d60 for a years n i felt tat it started cant meet my expections...my fren recommend me to change to canon 550d coz he say canon technolgy is faster than nikon...n he recommend me to change to canon 550 coz 550d has high ISO n full hd video...should i upgrade to canon 550D..

The question lies in how many Nikon stuff you already have now.

But really, technology is about par between all the major brands. At this point Nikon D3s is king. But it doesn't apply to you and me. Are you using a D3s? or a 1Ds? Don't think so.

Do your own research and make your own decisions. If you based your decisions on what others say, you will have a hard time, since everyone says points to a different direction.

why are your pictures not up to expectations?

do you think high iso and full hd video and so-called faster technology will improve your pictures?

you are trying to take panadol for a rash.

If you only have 1 or 2 lens, it's not expensive to change system. However do note that having a better camera doesnt mean better photos. There are people who take stunning photos using only an entry level dslr. Some own a D700 and they spend 90% of their time to polish the body,10% to shoot. When photos turn out bad, they blame the camera or polish. :angel:

If you only have 1 or 2 lens, it's not expensive to change system. However do note that having a better camera doesnt mean better photos. There are people who take stunning photos using only an entry level dslr. Some own a D700 and they spend 90% of their time to polish the body,10% to shoot. When photos turn out bad, they blame the camera or polish. :angel:

well said~!!

but if you really do wanna change then make sure you research first...
and also decide if you want a newer body but lousy lens or an older body and spend more money on lens...

What is missing in the D60 and doesn't meet your expectation? Have you tried using a Canon cam? The feel and interface may be different from the Nikon's which you are used to. Since you mentioned that your friend mentioned that Canon's technology is faster than Nikon and you are tempted, are you saying that whenever Canon comes out with a new cam you will rush in to buy just to keep up with technology? If ISO noise is a concern to you take a look at the D90 or D300s. HD video on DSLR may appeal to some but I feel that it's still not up to standard with the focusing and overheating problem. I would get a dedicated video cam if I really need to do video.

To change camera or not really depends on yourself. But I would rather get a better lens than to jump ship.

there are alot of reviews and comparison between 550d and d90. Here is one.
http://www.digitalreview.ca/content/Canon-Rebel-T2i-EOS-550D-Compared-to-Nikon-D90.shtml

Have a look. But do not be too hyped up by the different specs, you have to consider the no of lenses and accessories that you have now which need to be disposed of if you are planning to change system (to canon). Very often, changing a body is easy, and cheaper than changing a whole set of lenses.

maybe at this current time you feel that the video capabilities of the 550d and their 18mp wowed you. but if nikon is to release a new upgrade for d90(rumors have it that it is coming out), does that then make nikon a better technology camera? then you will wanna sell your canon and come back to nikon? that will be very costly.
However, if you do wanna change the system, its good to change it early. I have met a photographer (tutor) from thailand. He was using nikon and now using a sony a700. he knows about every brand cause he has hands on experienced with each. But that does not mean u have to do the same and try out every brand! You should go to a shop and handle the camera itself, feel it. There are places where you can actually rent camera and lenses for a while to play with. that might give you a first hand experience on the capabilities of the camera before buying a new one.

Thanks for everybodys advise...i will think bout it...