Should I upgrade to a D300

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwpoon

Aug 7, 2008
I am currently using a D70s.
What is the difference between D70s and D300?
Should I upgrade?
I can still consider to be a newbie in photography.

go for it! better even if d3. help the economy!

Should I upgrade?

I suggest you read reviews for both. If you don't understand the features, you're not ready for a more powerful cam.

i'm a d70 user and for me, i think if i want to upgrade, i wont choose D300. Reason is simple, d300 is a relatively "old" model. If u ask me, i will opt for d90 or if i can afford and wanted full frame, go for D700.

Should I upgrade?

Is ur current camera restricting your creativity? Have u outgrown your D70s? if so, go on and change to a D300 its a great body~~

Or

U jus wanna change for the sake of changing?

Should I upgrade?

There will be always a chance to spend money, but If you ain't sure that you need the D300, then you probably do not need it.

You might have to ask if there is anything limiting u with the d70s and work from there for an answer

Ryan

The longer you use the D70...the more limitation you will discovered and that's when you know what cam you need next :lovegrin:

I am formerly a D70 user my self and I want FF, Large and clear viewfinder, auto sensor cleaning, clean image at high ISO, nice resolution (not too big, not too small), CF capability, large LCD, good metering, moderate price, not too heavy, long lasting battery, technology that can last me another 5 years(D70 was with me for the last 4~5 years), shutter speed not important to me because I hardly shoot burst speed :thumbsup: The answer is there, there are not many Nikon cam fall into this category:lovegrin:

i'm a d70 user and for me, i think if i want to upgrade, i wont choose D300. Reason is simple, d300 is a relatively "old" model. If u ask me, i will opt for d90 or if i can afford and wanted full frame, go for D700.

Yup. Totally agree...except that depite D90 being a newer camera, it cant do what a D300 can do.

That said and done, both cameras are great and caters to different crowd. Alot of us buy the D300 or D700 anyway because it isnt that much a price difference. =)

Regards

Should I upgrade?

its really a big difference, and if you have DX lens and is limited by the functions of the D70s, you should upgrade.

although a lot of people might think that D300 is a relatively "old" model, about 1 and a half years, i still think it is ok to upgrade to D300
you are paying a lot less than the early adoptors, and when the replacement model comes, it is going to be much more expensive then the current price of the D300.

i would have no qualms about choosing the D300 if i were you :)
that's just my opinion.... :)

:sweat:

The longer you use the D70...the more limitation you will discovered and that's when you know what cam you need next :lovegrin:

I am formerly a D70 user my self and I want FF, Large and clear viewfinder, auto sensor cleaning, clean image at high ISO, nice resolution (not too big, not too small), CF capability, large LCD, good metering, moderate price, not too heavy, long lasting battery, technology that can last me another 5 years(D70 was with me for the last 4~5 years), shutter speed not important to me because I hardly shoot burst speed :thumbsup: The answer is there, there are not many Nikon cam fall into this category:lovegrin:

Just curious, why the need for CF capability? Is it signficantly faster than SD cards? I am a D50 user myself, will be upgrading to D700 soon, but this was one of the point that nearly stopped me few weeks back :sweat:

Should I upgrade?

not too sure what kind of photography u really into, in general, i suppose the D300 can cover almost everything with good fast lense available.

what D70s lack that might be bothering u could be the 3" LCD, weather-sealing, better AF, higher fps, LiveView and hi-iso shooting.

A D90 is a cheaper n lighter alternative n i personally prefer a smaller body

LV mode is very useful for macro. Do consider that if u into shooting the smaller things ;)

Just curious, why the need for CF capability? Is it signficantly faster than SD cards? I am a D50 user myself, will be upgrading to D700 soon, but this was one of the point that nearly stopped me few weeks back :sweat:

CF card being larger in size are easier to squeeze the same amount of storage, so price for similar specs shld come down faster compared to SD.

for me, i like the bigger size and rugged exterior... allow me to change card on the road / in the field more easily ... but that's just me :)

If you think your D70 is limiting your photographc abilities and requires weather sealing for more robust works, then the D300 should be high on your list. Old? Not that bad lah, everything new today would be old tomorrow.

Technically D300 is better than D70, D3 is better than D300. If you are asking for technical reasons, the reasons are obvious. :)

But if you asking us if you should get one even after you understand what you gain and lose out of it. I think you already have a good idea... why ask ? :)

Should I upgrade?

no need to hear all the talk... such questions been asked and told so many times

no need to dwell about technical stuff
no need to know whether limited or not by d70
no need to bother new or old model
no need to worry about people question you change for change sake or such things like...
ifu don't know, u don't need
no need to worry about people telling u that a simple pinhole camera can do better
no need to hear people brag about ... it's the people behind viewfinder

let me tell you
if u have the money and want it (the d300), just go for it...
if u want it, u want it ... who cares if u really need those features
"aryanto" got it right -- support our economy; buy from local retails...
even if you pay hefty premium
now u have been told

My reason is I have invested in a few large high speed CF card (4GB, 8GB)...so no point investing again in SD....besides.....I feel (I compared many years back...not sure how today's SD performs) the read write speed are different....imagine the time spend copying those 4GB or 8GB data from your card to pc :lovegrin:

anyway, if you are concerned about investing in CF cards, the D300 comes with a free 4GB card if you purchase now, and a lowepro bag.

Should I upgrade?

It will be difficult to get a FULL review from posting such thread here.... there are already lots of reviews within this forum and in the web site ... all u have to do is to do a search... I did that... and lookout:bigeyes: for spec that suit you, evaluate your strength and know for yourself what is ur need!

Should I upgrade?
I think most member have ask the same question "have u reached the limit of ur D70s". Presently, there are still lot of people who shoot great picture using D70s. If u are still new to photography, u may want to invest in Lenses than changing body... Who know after u buy D300 and next year a better body available, are u going to change again?:dunno:/COLOR]

Before u embark further... know how serious u want to go into... this will help u decide whether to invest in Lens first or Body? Good lens will accompany u thru ur photography journey!:bsmilie:[/QUOTE]

From what i see of the Nikon line up it consist of the entry level grade, mid-level semi-pro and the pro level. Some of the models in each category were out of production. In each categroy there shall be lower end models and higher end models

entry level
D40 D40X D60 etc

semi-pro
D70 D80 D80 D200 D300 etc

Pro
D700 D2Hs D3 D3X etc

Status
Not open for further replies.