Should I upgrade to 580EX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

renzero

Dec 10, 2004
Bros/expert help ...
I am currently still using 550EX.
But since I upgraded to 30D, should I upgrade my flash to 580EX?
Is that big difference?

Thanks in advance ;)

wait for the 580ex II

Ask yourself honestly whether you are doing fine with the 550EX. If you are, then there's no reason to upgrade.

Bros/expert help ...
I am currently still using 550EX.
But since I upgraded to 30D, should I upgrade my flash to 580EX?
Is that big difference?

Thanks in advance ;)

580EX is sexier, slightly more powerful (faster recharge), better re-sale demand. You may have to bare some pain to let go of 550EX. I am also considering between the two, and the price differecne in 2nd market is below $200/- .. so you can imaging how difficult to let go 550EX unless it is a real bargain.

It depends on how you use your flash. One qualm I have about the 550EX is the two separate "button" to press to change the tilt angles of the flash head, whereas the 580EX only needs to use one "button"

Also the 580EX is much lighter than 550EX.

No need to upgrade. Waste of money actually. Keep the 550EX until it goes kaput.

i think only u can answer the qn..

is this a need, or a want?
power and charging time on the 550 is already very good, unless u need something better.
do u need the convenience of 1-button tilt?
u find ur current flash too bulky or heavy?
think about the amount u're paying and what u're paying it for.. is it worth it to u?

these are all subjective qns.. think about it.. i'm sure u'll have ur answer soon... ;)

Thanks everyone for valuable comments. The main reason I am asking coz i wanna buy LS2. I guess i will keep the 550EX the 2nd hand selling market for 550EX is not good.

Thanks everyone for valuable comments. The main reason I am asking coz i wanna buy LS2. I guess i will keep the 550EX the 2nd hand selling market for 550EX is not good.

I guess that's a pretty good decision. IIRC there actually is a LS2 for 550EX. You are looking at the LS2 Size P2/C2.

wait for the whaletail.. new and improved gary fong diffuser.. more ex than the LS though.. but it's 1 size fits all and very versatile...

if u used flash a lot,go for metz hammer head,but its damm big and heavy,but the color is mch better.U may also want to consider oem flash which support A mode or even a nikon sb28dx with A mode,the exposure is spot on[but the downside iso u had to manually adjust,flash zoom had also will not be auto]try and be amazed!!!!;)
!!!!!better than the 580ex!!!,cos ettl and ettl2 flash from canon cannot make it.canon flash not very right in exposure...............[that me] for me canon flash tend to have underexposure problem.if only u know how,eg to increase the flash compensation to
+1/3 or 2/3 when in door or night.

if u used flash a lot,go for metz hammer head,but its damm big and heavy,but the color is mch better.U may also want to consider oem flash which support A mode or even a nikon sb28dx with A mode,the exposure is spot on[but the downside iso u had to manually adjust,flash zoom had also will not be auto]try and be amazed!!!!;)
!!!!!better than the 580ex!!!,cos ettl and ettl2 flash from canon cannot make it.canon flash not very right in exposure...............[that me] for me canon flash tend to have underexposure problem.if only u know how,eg to increase the flash compensation to

I really cannot understand what you are writing.

Not sure if i get u right.. but yea, my 550EX i always set it to +2/3 but i can live with that i think... I like to use canon original ;)

But its design look kinda weird and resembles a toilet bowl on top of yr flash head. ;p

agree.. that's why i go for LS2 instead lolz :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

LS, whaletail, seems to be a complicated solution to a simple problem.

try this: http://www.abetterbouncecard.com/

it really works, fits on any flash head, can adjust amount of light being bounced/thrown forward. cost me $0.50.($0.10 for the styrofoam paper and at most $0.40 for the piece of velcro that i use to secure it).

secret is in using styrofoam paper instead of normal paper (still harsh shadows).

Status
Not open for further replies.