Should I upgrade body or change system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

qingtian

Jul 17, 2009
Hi All,

Recently into photography and I had been following through all the good post/pictures in Clubsnap.

I got my Canon 500D sometime back in July and been taking a lot of pictures since then. Few months down the road I notice that images that I took are not that punchy and rich in color and even some of my friends suggested that some of the shots really look a bit dull and flat.

I tried perform some image editing to bring out it colors and "feel" which I need but it don't always help. Upon reviewing and research further, it seem like this is a common case for Canon 500D as image output tend to be more soft and less rich in color. And I do came across statement that Canon system is better for portraits shooting as output is soft which is better for human skin tone.

Pls do not quote or flame me that Canon system do not fare well in landscape or other type of shooting. I am just saying it is better for portraits shooting as it output is soft as some of the people that I ask advising me on this. I did play with my 500D build in pictures style and even try out custom it settings as some post suggested but am not still getting the desirable colors etc...

I am currently in a dilemma should I upgrade my 500D to 7D as I am really wondering would I get slight better image output? Not sure would it slightly help on this as it features and build are better than 500D. I do know that there are always say that is still the man behind the camera that should be doing the job but I believe that with better tool, it will contribute better result provide the one who use it know it camera capability and limits.

The next option would be considering changing all my current System/Gears to Nikon D90 as review such as dpreview state that it color output is more vibrant due to it better picture control system. I am thinking of this as part of the option as D90 with kit is also cheaper than a 7D body.

Seeking all kind advise from all the experts and seniors over here.
**PS I am not starting a flaming wars between the C or N, just seeking opinions from all the bros and sis here who know photography/cameras etc better then me. What more some had been into this hobbies for years.

Do let me know should I post the shots that I took would help. Or to know the current system I am having.
Will be glad to provide information.

Last edited:
Most likely it is not the hardware problem, both C & N can produce excellent photo. :)

you use raw or jpeg?

If jpeg then i suggest changing to raw then do PP from there. If you are not really into PP, I would suggest olympus actually, their jpeg engine is one of the best, if not the best.

Most likely it is not the hardware problem, both C & N can produce excellent photo. :)

Maybe the factors is human factors... that is me... :(
I really like 7D after testing the body... but thinking back... the images it really took look dull from JPEG.
And the body alone is more exp than D90...

Maybe the factors is human factors... that is me... :(
I really like 7D after testing the body... but thinking back... the images it really took look dull from JPEG.
And the body alone is more exp than D90...

If 7D is beyond your budget and you wanted to upgrade, you can consider 50D. :)

I did a search on flickr (500D landscape) here

The colors are rich and nice. I suggest you spend more time learning what the 500D can do instead of buying a new camera.;)

Or we do a quick test.....i using Nikon systems, but both C&N is equally good.

Below 3 photos are taken with D80, D300 & D700 using the same lens. Try guessing which photo is taken by which camera.

3204558908_906c1604f9.jpg

2111996192_7a48392d86.jpg

4012920157_63592917c3.jpg

you use raw or jpeg?

If jpeg then i suggest changing to raw then do PP from there. If you are not really into PP, I would suggest olympus actually, their jpeg engine is one of the best, if not the best.

Initially I took JPEG when I start off with Canon Auto Mode.
Then I go more into creative mode using P, Aperture, M Mode after picking up books on photography such as "The Digital Photography Book vol 1 - 3" by Scott Kelby. At the same time reviewing a lot of photography tips.

I am now shooting more on RAW together with JPEG but most or all my images are process fromh RAW using Lightroom which I really wish to avoid as I am seeing a lot of good photographers do not need to do so much of PP to get the colors, feel and effect. I am also seeing pictures from fellow forumers with good shots straight from JPEG.

If 7D is beyond your budget and you wanted to upgrade, you can consider 50D. :)

i dun mind paying the price as i really feel that 7D is a good body system with many enhanced features.

I did a search on flickr (500D landscape) here

The colors are rich and nice. I suggest you spend more time learning what the 500D can do instead of buying a new camera.;)

i did a search on flickr b4 and i did saw a lot of beautiful images that was taken from 500D but i believe that most of the images might be heavily processed and thus the result. i am hoping to have shots taken straight from the camera as jpeg w/o much PP and i am not able to get this from my 500D. perhaps it is realli a human factor(which is me) that i am not getting fantastic result.and till date, i have not really seen a good 500D jpeg output w/o PP. it will be great if anybody has a link or have images taken from 500D w/o PP.

Below 3 photos are taken with D80, D300 & D700 using the same lens. Try guessing which photo is taken by which camera.

Hi Leong23, you have been helpful and all 3 images are fantastic. Frankly speaking, i cannot differentiate the difference but i do prefer the 2nd image.

i did a search on flickr b4 and i did saw a lot of beautiful images that was taken from 500D but i believe that most of the images might be heavily processed and thus the result. i am hoping to have shots taken straight from the camera as jpeg w/o much PP and i am not able to get this from my 500D. perhaps it is realli a human factor(which is me) that i am not getting fantastic result.and till date, i have not really seen a good 500D jpeg output w/o PP. it will be great if anybody has a link or have images taken from 500D w/o PP.

If you don't want to do post process, bump up the saturation and contrast in your camera setting to your liking.

Hi Leong23, you have been helpful and all 3 images are fantastic. Frankly speaking, i cannot differentiate the difference but i do prefer the 2nd image.

Thanks, #2 is actually taken by D80, #1 is D300 & #3 is D700.

Not saying that you don't need a better camera, but currently the problem you are having is more of a handling problem. :)

Well, then i really recommend oly. You can try searching for oly without PP on flickr or oly forum.

By far, their jpeg is the best I have seen.

Not processing your photos is like shooting with a Polaroid. Help yourself with some books in the library. I'm afraid even the 1Ds or D3x won't be able to satisfy you if you're unwilling to learn post-processing.

Well, then i really recommend oly. You can try searching for oly without PP on flickr or oly forum.

By far, their jpeg is the best I have seen.

It is by camera setting....... every camera is able set all the parameter to personal liking.

Personally felt that, by giving this type of comment, not only you are misleading TS, but showing how technically unsound you are. :thumbsd:

Lens play a major role too in final picture output, especially if w/o post-processing
Maybe, it will help if u can share w/ the bros/sisters here, the lens u are shooting w/ :)

I think you already suspect the likely cause is you and not the camera. I doubt there's a single DSLR available that can't produce bright, punchy colours given the right subject, lighting, exposure and settings.
I don't have a 500D, but on my 30D I have 2 primary Picture Style settings -- one with increased saturation for subjects that need the punch -- even for this I don't set the Saturation to the max because it is generally way too much. Should be similar to your 500D.
I'm talking about straight JPEGs of course -- I normally leave the camera on RAW + JPEG. If I can get the results I want with JPEG I don't bother with the RAW file or PP.

The 500D samples at DPReview don't look dull:
http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/canoneos500d_samples/

The way I see it, there are 4 possibilities:
- you expect too much from your camera (or any camera)! (in this case, perhaps PP will help you get the images you want)
- you got a lemon (unlikely, i guess)
- you're not getting your exposure right
- you're shooting dull subjects and/or in dull light!

There are many reasons to upgrade or change your body or system, but dull or unsharp results is likely to be your fault, not your cameras!

This is not fair to the TS. An expert photographer will take good photos using any comparable camera system. :)
Nice shots BTW!
But ur point is absolutely right, if the photographer is adept, u really cannot tell the difference where the photos came from.

Status
Not open for further replies.