Should I snap in the ratio 3:2 or 4:3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taurus

Sep 3, 2002
www.purehub.com
Hi, i'm got a query...
Since my CP 5700 is able to snap at 3:2 and 4:3 ratio

And I know 4R would be 3:2.. but why is there 4:3 then?
What's the purpose of snapping 4:3 ratio resolutions?

Pardon me if I sound dumb... :D

mpenza said:
4:3 is better suited for computer display.
Hi, mpenza,
is that the only reason?

So am I right to say if I'm going for prints, snapping in 3:2 will be the choice?

Thanks for your reply... :D

Check the CCD sensor ratio and use that.
Anything other than that is using interpolation or cropping and you are not maximising your CCD.

Generally, 3:2 is the ratio for photos (eg 4R)
and 4:3 is for computer monitors (eg 640x480)

:D

Taurus said:
So am I right to say if I'm going for prints, snapping in 3:2 will be the choice?

For 4R prints.. 3:2 would be correct. Ratios for other print sizes may vary..

4:3 makes better use of the image circle from the lens than 3:2, about 4% more of the same image circle used.

4R is set at 6" x 4" which is 3:2. 8R is 10" x 8" which is 5:4.

On video, the preferred ratio is 16:9, which is more to our eye's width. HDTV is 16:9. Standard TV ratio is 4:3, and it is also the standard monitor ratio.

Digicam was originally made for computer screen/monitor (there was not enough resolution for printing), that's why most digicams use 4:3 ratio. Coolpix 5700 is one of few that can change format ratio.

Anyway, if you are intending to print your results, without cropping (crop using your viewfinder), you'd better use 3:2 as most print sizes are 3:2. My cameras do not have the luxury to change format ratio, so I switch cameras when I want to change format ratio :D

Two days ago I shot at a studio, and I find much easier to use "more boxy" format, 4:3 would be much easier to use. With 3:2 it was very hard to to include several people in the picture without getting the outside of the background curtain included.

Status
Not open for further replies.