Should I shoot PAL or NTSC for Singapore uses

Joshelerry

Apr 5, 2013
Singapore
Hi, I see that 30fps can gives a more smooth flow of footage but however that’s only for NTSC, ... can I switch to shooting in NTSC format and play it after post on Singapore PAL tv? Without flickering etc issues... thanks for help on this area...

If it doesn't flicker in 30fps, it will not flicker in 25fps. Just watch out for floursecent and neon lights in your shots. These almost guaranteed to cause flicker as Singapore's power is transmitted in 50Hz cycle . That's why there are PAL cameras for 50 Hz countries and NTSC for cameras in 60Hz countries.

ok thanks... which means I can shoot in PAL or NTSC so long as I avoid such lights ... playing back a NTSC 30fps format on local TV won't have any issues then right?

I’m shooting for my Friend and so he will be watching on tv... nothing big scale of course. So it’s safe to shoot in NTSC? Reason being I prefer 30fps smoother frame rate as compared to 25fps...

I just checked online that if I still want to shoot NTSC (60Hz) in an 50Hz environment like Singapore, one way is to set the shutter speed to 1/100 for a 30p video. May I know if this information is reliable?

Did anyone try to shoot NTSC in PAL environment and it works? ...

Shutter 1/100 at 30fps minimises the flicker but does not completely eliminate it. You will find an extra layer of complexity when dealing with environments with mixed flouresent and LED lights that will flicker unless the shutter speed is in multiples of 1/30, 1/60. etc

ok great! ... btw out of qns from this PAL/NTSC thing... I have a A7r3.. better to shoot in super35 mode I checked... but what are the main differences (advantages/disadvantages) in using the FF vs Super35 for video? IQ, noise etc ...

Shooting in cropped sensor mode offers the advantage of less rolling shutter effect and the use of smaller lighter and cheaper APS-C lenses. Personally, I feel that AF speed in improved in video mode using cropped sensor mode. However, the shorter focal length used results in deeper DOF.

I think some cameras are able to be switched between PAL and NTSC.
Is it advisable to switch to NTSC to get 60 fps?
How about when you are travelling to a country which uses NTSC?

Switch to NTSC when you are filming under lights that flicker at 60Hz. These include flourescent lights in NTSC countries and some LED lights even in PAL countries. When shooting under natural sunlight, 60fps produce slower motion than 50fps when conformed to lower fps timeline.