Should I sell away my S5pro? (Dilemma)

ckw88

Oct 5, 2010
Hi guys,

I own a S5Pro which is around 1.5 years old. Shutter count of ard 6.8k.
Came along with a Tamron 18-200mm & OEM battery grip.
And I have recently bought a nikon 50mm, 1.8 lens. (around 1plus month old) --> Just to test up the effects.

Reasons why I would like to sell it away

1) I do not really like the low 1.8fps & 6mp resolution. So ancient compared to any entry SLR camera in the market.
2) The nikon mount lens/accessories are more expensive compared to canon. (If I were to sell it away, I will buy a Canon camera as in long run everything will be cheaper!!!!)
3) Servicing it is expensive. Cleaning the sensor will cost around 80-90 plus? Cleaning the full body will be x2 the prices? and it will take at least 1 week to do so. Basically poor CS.
4) Sell it, use the money to buy either D7000 or Canon60 plus accessories.

Reasons why I do not want to sell it away

1) The current D7000 rocks my world. Totally owns Canon 60D big time. Will be buying it if possible. Hence I'm able to use the lens on both camera(where s5pro will serve as a back up)
But then again, do I need to have a back up?

But then again, I'm more of a Canon fan than a nikon fan due to brand loyalty. All my PnS are from canon. The reason why I never make up my mind of jumping over to Canon is because I'm disappointed over the specs of 60D and 'wow' by D7000.

2) S5pro is a damn good camera.

How How?
1) Sell it, jump over to canon.
2) Sell it, buy D7000.
3) Keep it, buy D7000.
4) Keep it, buy more accessories and buy a new nikon body in future.

My budget is around 2 to 2.4k. (exclude selling the current S5pro)

Advice pls =)

Last edited:
if you like d7000, get the d7000
I used to own S5pro. While the color is good, its low mp, poor high iso(compared to most newer cameras) and the dismal customer service at fuji singapore is the final nail in the coffin. I sold it and moved to d700 and never looked back since.
Accessories wise I don't think Nikon is really more expensive. I think they are about the same.
If you compare lenses though, some Nikon lenses are more expensive but they also perform slightly better vis to vis the similar canon lens. There is always a reason for the pricing, you have to look beyond the spec and check the review. For eg the new 24 1.4 Nikon AF-S is slightly better than the 24L ii and hence why they cost around 4-500 dollars more.

on the hindsight though, I doubt you can sell your S5pro without much loss. Looking at the current trend in B/S section, even 800 dollars S5pro find it hard to get moving... all the best :)

Last edited:
Just keep the S5pro and buy a new nikon body. Hard to sell S5pro so might as well keep it. (i still have my 300D which i lend it to my friends who wanna try out dslr)
Why buy nikon? cause you have nikon lenses!

Consider D300s and D700, they rocks!!

Thanks ZeroDivine and ptwong!!!!! But I remember reading somewhere that Nikon uses some of the canon's patents for their lens (and hence the higher prices, not sure about that though) Yeah I agree S5Pro's colour is nice =)))) Thats why the dilemma...

Haha I don't mind keeping it as spare cuz simply too busy to sell. I love Ntu lol =)

ptwong---> D300 and D700 obviously rock. But I haven start working yet. No $$$$ hahahaah

Hey there,

I love the S5pro but I just foresee the prices going down hill in the near future (Apart from color, S5pro spec is very obsolete) I have a D300 and I am selling my S5pro online in Australia. Might just get a D700 ;)

If your not ready to invest in the full frame systems then D300s/D7000 are awesome choices!

All the best:)

i have s5 pro, and the only reason i keep it is that i like the colour that it produced when shooting in jpeg. i read that you could load custom fuji curve to D300/s to mimic the fuji color. not sure it's close to what s5 pro is producing.

How about the skin tone... Its still the best there is... ;) DR also rocks...etc etc.. If u tin u no need the S5 than sell it... Its all up to ur shooting style... :)

What a bit longer for Feb 2011 and the Sigma SD1, native 15MP version will be out. This is the only model than can match S5 Pro.

Waha thanks guys. I have decided to send it for a full servicing and shall keep it as a spare back up =)

Hoping the upcoming D7000 will cost around 1.4k-1.6k haha. Nikon DSLR ftw, and canon compact camera ftw! lol

:)You should worry more about if you still like the Camera and can still make good pics with it instead of specs on some new camera...Specs do not make pictures, Photographers do...I still have an S3pro which I love dearly for its skin tones among other things ...and I especially like the fact that it uses regular AA batteries....Of coourse I also use Nikons, Olympus (e-pl1's) and a Canon 5D that mostly wears nikon glass...Spend your money on good glass, not new Camera bodies...And if you do upgrade the new D7000 does look promissing...but than again a D300, D700 or a d90 may also make you just as happy. Do you own any studio lighting? portable strobes? a good 4X5? filters, a good tripod? a changable lens M4/3 rig?...There are many things to consider that might bring you just as much fun with out selling your Fuji (unless you really want to sell it, than by all means).:cool:

Cheers
www.snakephoto.blogspot.com

I would suggest you to keep it. No cameras out there can reproduce what the S5 pro can give. Good DR, good skin tone, beautiful red, green and blue from the F2 mode. I've used it for almost any kind of shooting i.e events, wedding, landscape, portraits and up till now it still suit my needs. Its one of the best cameras manufactured out there, no regrets buying, no thought of selling.

my opinion is you should keep it. it can still give you pretty good images, and with a bit of post-processing, you can even get excellent results. i still use my S3 Pro even if i already own a Sony full frame cam. it's also not worth selling as you definitely won't get the price you think you want.

I use to think S5 is very good...probably still good...but as technology catch up...it's somehow being left behind.. if I were you, I would probably keep it as a 2nd cam coz S5 pro is rather rare nowadays..;)

Buy the D7000!:bsmilie:

Thanks you guys for the comments!!! haha before that I was still thinking is it worth it to keep it as a backup. looks like it will continue to accompany me for the many years to come =D

Like many mentioned, the S5 technology although outdated but not many new cameras can beat its DR, skin tone, colour & white balance.
It is really a pity Fuji is not coming up with new DSLR.

It will be great if fuji comes out with a FF Dslr using a D700 body.

i did a beach wedding shoot last weekend.
the Auto WB on my S5 was wayyyyy awesome than the D700 i was using as my main cam.

so its Auto WB rox!!