Should I remove my lens after every shoot?

wizz747

Feb 27, 2010
Singapore
Hi all!

As you may already be knowing from my 2 previous threads which I started last night, I just bought my 1st DSLR, a Canon 550D.

I have a question though. I will probably be using my DSLR for 2-3 days per week. Is it bad to remove the lens after every shoot? I'm worried about dust getting on the sensor.

yes

if you leave your lens on too long your camera could spontaneously combust and turn into a vile mixture of ashes and smoke.

:angel:

yes

if you leave your lens on too long your camera could spontaneously combust and turn into a vile mixture of ashes and smoke.

And zeus will appear and throw a lightning bolt at you, frying both you and your camera at the same time.

Nah there's no need, unless your camera+lens combi is too big for your bag.

yes

Haha, nice one! :)

And zeus will appear and throw a lightning bolt at you, frying both you and your camera at the same time.

Nah there's no need, unless your camera+lens combi is too big for your bag.

Okies, what do the others think? I need to check if my camera with my lens fitted in it fits well into my camera bag.

Don't worry too much about the dust. Your new camera has a features that could remove some dust. Most serious photographers has several lens and change lens quite often.

It doesn't matter either way.

Personally I don't see a reason to take it off. Leaving it on doesn't break the camera or the lens in any way. I usually just disengage autofocus and turn the zoom and focusing ring to make the lens as short as possible when i dump it into my bag. Having the lens on makes it much faster to use the camera.

Yes,remove the lens after every shoot because by doing this the longivity of your camera increases.

I only removed my lens only if I need to change lens.
Frequent removal of lens may induce dust.

I usually just leave my camera with lens attached ( fully retracted ) in my dry cabinet after the shoot.

Hi all!

As you may already be knowing from my 2 previous threads which I started last night, I just bought my 1st DSLR, a Canon 550D.

I have a question though. I will probably be using my DSLR for 2-3 days per week. Is it bad to remove the lens after every shoot? I'm worried about dust getting on the sensor.

You are worrying about things which you shouldn't even bother to begin with. If its the one and only lens you have and you can fit into a bag with no issues, then why not just let the lens sit on the body?

Dust? Did you know that dust can still get onto the sensor even if you weld the lens to the camera?