Should i really get Apple Cinema Display?

Status
Not open for further replies.

behyx

Jun 15, 2002
SG
Hi guys,

I have some kind of dilemma here..

I'm a mac user, and would like to get a larger screen.. i'm a photographer so image reproduction is very crucial to me. Although I don't have budget for a 3k eizo or very high-end Samsung XL20, but I'm prepared to spend around 1k on the Apple Cinema Display 20".

Can anyone advice me on any other monitor which can be on par with the Apple display? Of course with budget of 1K I could easily get a 22 or 24", but do they perform good? Also take note that the highest resolution I can output to an external monitor is 1920 by 1200.

Thanks guys

you can consider dell ultra sharp series. they use the same panels as the apple display. effectively is like LG philips with either an apple or dell logo in front.

i got a 23 inch ACD. used my friend's 30inch dell display. they are exactly the same!

you can consider dell ultra sharp series. they use the same panels as the apple display. effectively is like LG philips with either an apple or dell logo in front.

i got a 23 inch ACD. used my friend's 30inch dell display. they are exactly the same!

I've also got recommendations to get the Dell 24" ultrasharp too.. Will Dell has promotion during computer shows? There's one coming up end of this month right? :)

I've also got recommendations to get the Dell 24" ultrasharp too.. Will Dell has promotion during computer shows? There's one coming up end of this month right? :)
yea dell will have discounts online during the comex shows.
now is 1099, probably will drop to 899 again during the show?

i am using a MacBook Pro with an external display from HANNS.G HW191D. i works perfectly with my MacBook with DVI/VGA input and the quality is surely competitable to the Apple Displays. the price wise it is like 4 to 5 times lower.

hope this helps.

go to SLSQ and take a look at the new LG monitors there. Their quality I find also gives ACD a challenge.

I saw some specs online, the dell 24" dot pitch is 0.27, and apple cinema display is 0.258.. will it make difference? especially looking at a larger screen but with large dot pitch.. Are these 2 monitors really using the same panel?

I recommend the Apple ACD 23, but note that theres no HD outputs, so probably not a good idea if you intend to hook it to consoles or your dvd players.

I saw some specs online, the dell 24" dot pitch is 0.27, and apple cinema display is 0.258.. will it make difference? especially looking at a larger screen but with large dot pitch.. Are these 2 monitors really using the same panel?
Get the 24 inch Dell. I guarantee you will not regret a single bit. Colours are pretty accurate when you use Gretag Macbeth colour calibrator to fine tune it.

Get the 24 inch Dell. I guarantee you will not regret a single bit. Colours are pretty accurate when you use Gretag Macbeth colour calibrator to fine tune it.

btw...just asking...its 72 or 92% colour?

Hahaha thanks guys :)

Eizo really out of budget for now.. Where can I view a set of the Dell? Looks like there is very little or none Dell showroom..

If you are talking about Colour Gamut, yes it's 92%.

yup and if I am not wrong, the 24" wide gamut dell LCD was never sold at $899 even in previous PC shows. They were selling the OLD 24" at that price.

Wonder if the new 24" will drop to $899 this time round. Will be REAL tempting....

Anyway, I have a 20" IMAC and I find that the BEST LCD I have is my epson P3000 4" screen :) wonder if epson makes a bigger screen.

yup and if I am not wrong, the 24" wide gamut dell LCD was never sold at $899 even in previous PC shows. They were selling the OLD 24" at that price.

Wonder if the new 24" will drop to $899 this time round. Will be REAL tempting....

Anyway, I have a 20" IMAC and I find that the BEST LCD I have is my epson P3000 4" screen :) wonder if epson makes a bigger screen.

Actually, when I bought my 3rd one, it was price at $899 just 1 1/2 months ago with the latest specs with the wide gamut reproduction. Hehe.......I manage to bug DELL to change my second monitor which does not have the wide gamut without extra charge but have to pay for transport cost (which is ok as I have use the second monitor for about 4 months)

This is a great advantage when you buy a DELL. Apple.............forget it!

Ask you guys, when staring at such huge screen (24") like 30cm away, will the corners looks like a bit vignetting to our eyes?

Ask you guys, when staring at such huge screen (24") like 30cm away, will the corners looks like a bit vignetting to our eyes?

Hahahaha..............well I have stared a DELL 30inch which my friend own for a couple of hours. No lei..........in fact very shiok to see a 30 inch!

So far no such problem but then again mine is a dual monitor, so i am staring a 2 X 24 inch.

just checked the dell website. prices are down for the comex show liao.

just checked the dell website. prices are down for the comex show liao.

Yup! Saw that too..

Few days back I managed to go Suntec to check out both monitors.. Dell and Epicentre are just metres away from each other.But I found the Apple more pleasing to the eyes. I viewed my new website (not live yet) on the monitor, and the Apple colors seems more accurate. I'm quite sure both monitors are not hardware calibrated so it's quite fair to compare...
Oh ya the Dell is way too bright for me, but when I tone down the brightness, the colors seems to be rather saturated when it's darker.. I don't quite know what's the problem there, but I don't mind paying more for the Apple but with smaller screen. hehee

Status
Not open for further replies.