Should I or shouldn't I....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptwong

Nov 10, 2003
Yishun
Fellow-snappers, need some advice. Due to my job, i leaving for a big event next week. I'm wondering if i should bring my 40d along or as usual my trusty F10? Of course the usual fear of unfortunate incidents to my cam and lense (i think i'll bring my 17-40 only which is cheaper to replace than the rest of my lenses) is on my mind but also due to the nature of my job which i need to be quite on the ball.
On the other hand, it's a pretty big event and i'm keen to catch some good pics. F10 might not be "good enough"
Any advice would be appreciated.

Fellow-snappers, need some advice. Due to my job, i leaving for a big event next week. I'm wondering if i should bring my 40d along or as usual my trusty F10? Of course the usual fear of unfortunate incidents to my cam and lense (i think i'll bring my 17-40 only which is cheaper to replace than the rest of my lenses) is on my mind but also due to the nature of my job which i need to be quite on the ball.
On the other hand, it's a pretty big event and i'm keen to catch some good pics. F10 might not be "good enough"
Any advice would be appreciated.

If the big event doesn't calls for any high altitude, extreme temperatures, rock climbing, diving etc, then you still can bring your 40D along. Your camera is a tool for you to maximise and use, not keeping it for next generation. ;)

All the good and bad u say liao, dunno how to advice u liddat...

only way is to toss a coin...
ha...seriously thinking about tat ha..
either tat i just bring my 300d and kit lens...

If the big event doesn't calls for any high altitude, extreme temperatures, rock climbing, diving etc, then you still can bring your 40D along. Your camera is a tool for you to maximise and use, not keeping it for next generation. ;)
ha...non of the above but it requires me to bend, squat, kneel, run at an instance ha... tat's why i a bit headache...

ha...non of the above but it requires me to bend, squat, kneel, run at an instance ha... tat's why i a bit headache...

Wah... a bit like war photojournalist leh! Still, I would think your 40D is able to take the heat!

I have a Lumix FZ20... and holding a 40D... and i take your questions very seriously.

I would without question take the 40D in any instance. That is what the upgrade is all about isn't it? Rising to the occasion and having the best gear when there is a photo opportunity!!

I rather be cursing at the weight than cursing at missing a photo opportunity ~ (if argubly u take 40D as a better camera in all aspect as like me).

FZ10 is a good camera, your learnt alot from it and you can handle it very well. But you know too well that it has its limitations..... not just low light and noise issue.... Well if u are afraid of theft or drop.. just be open that it can happen to either camera.. and taking one that is older or cost less will just make u feel more careless bout your gear, I'll say dun waste your FZ10 like that....

:) just my opinion.. pardon me if i sounded too personal... no offense intended.

Your camera is a tool for you to maximise and use, not keeping it for next generation. ;)

Absolutely. Can't say it any better. Let's not buy that "you never really own a ___ but merely looking after it for the next generation". What burden! Seize the moment. Enjoy.

I took a 400D with a 24-105 f/4L to my friend's biking competition and walked around 20km around with it, two times around the length of the track. On the way, I walked through ankle deep mud, was scratched by thorns and splashed by mud. I was also carrying a back up Nikon FE with a 35mm f/2.8 AND a 105mm f/2.5. Both cameras survived through that experience with no troubles.

Barring theft or extreme weather conditions, your 40D can stand up to the challenge. It's a waste to bring a PnS when you have something so much better cultivating fungus in a drybox back home.

Samuel

thanks to all for the advices. Yap, i'm sure the 40D is up to the challenge and i'm even willing to sacrifice my 17-40 (of course best dun have to lah ha..) All me to share more about my job to let you all have a better understanding about my dilemma. I'm part of a medical team so i would need to drop all things at once. I can't have any distraction and i do worry about tat my cam will become a distraction....maybe i'll just bring it out when i'm off duty...

Suddenly this is serious. This gets real. You have put us in the correct frame of mind and perspective.

I have a friend who's in the medical team, activate at the press of button, 24/7. If that is the case, your mission is to save lives. Photo-taking blends into the secondary. And if the place is war-torn or disaster hit, high chance that your camera is very much expendible! Hmm... I think I better take back my word; bring a PnS instead!

Go save lives! :thumbsup:

ha...not so dramatic lah...hopefully not!! (keeping my fingers crossed)

Suddenly this is serious. This gets real. You have put us in the correct frame of mind and perspective.

I have a friend who's in the medical team, activate at the press of button, 24/7. If that is the case, your mission is to save lives. Photo-taking blends into the secondary. And if the place is war-torn or disaster hit, high chance that your camera is very much expendible! Hmm... I think I better take back my word; bring a PnS instead!

Go save lives! :thumbsup:

MEDIC!!! :lovegrin:

thanks to all for the advices. Yap, i'm sure the 40D is up to the challenge and i'm even willing to sacrifice my 17-40 (of course best dun have to lah ha..) All me to share more about my job to let you all have a better understanding about my dilemma. I'm part of a medical team so i would need to drop all things at once. I can't have any distraction and i do worry about tat my cam will become a distraction....maybe i'll just bring it out when i'm off duty...

definitely pns in this situation.

definitely pns in this situation.
tat's what i'm thinking also...but a bit waste lor...sian...can't have my cake and eat it...
This was one of the reason why i actually tot of getting the S6500 a few months back...spoil spoil still not too bad...

tat's what i'm thinking also...but a bit waste lor...sian...can't have my cake and eat it...
This was one of the reason why i actually tot of getting the S6500 a few months back...spoil spoil still not too bad...

i think the f10 will serve you quite well. besides you can keep the cam with you all the time. so chances of missing shots is likely to be lower.

Look at it this way, God gives you a cake, now share it! ;)

If that is the case, I would suggest that you bring both your 40D as well as your F10.

Use your F10 when you are on duty. It is small and handy and can be kept away at a moment notice. Use your 40D only when you are off duty, when you have more leisurely time to take some serious photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.