Should i make the move to D-SLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyst

Jun 3, 2003
Visit site
Really sorry if this has been asked many times. I'm well aware of how annoying these "what sort of digi cam should i get?" questions can be.

I bought a Canon PowerShot S45 late last year, was worried i bought something that was too much for what i could make out of it. I went from auto, and eventually to manual.

Now, i'm definately in need of a new digital camera. My question isn't which digital cam to buy (it won't matter too much in the end), but whether or not i should delve into the D-SLR realm or not?

At the very LEAST, i will be after something like the Nikon 5700, Sony DSC-717 and Minolta's 7Hi.

The D-SLR's in the running for my money are the Canon 10D, Nikon D100 and the FujiFilm's S2Pro.

Though the Canon is currently in the lead. I'm still doing my research.

This whole thing with interchangable lenses, with some lenses being more expensive than the body alone.. is really scaring me out of D-SLR's. I'm worried that it's just wayyyyy too out of my own league, like a little policemen buying an M16. Or a go kart amateur with a Formula 1.

I'm bothered by all these flashlights, flash meters, reflectors and other jumbo accessories that i have no idea what half of them even do. I'd be happy with a camera that supports roughly 35 (25mm a bonus) to about 200mm telephoto.

A nice macro setup would be nice as well, getting in as close as 2cm would sound nifty.

Compact Flash Type I and II support is absolutely essential, (so that scraps the idea of getting any Sony's ;))

This whole hotshoe flash stuff is beyond me. What DOES matter ALOT to me in the end..

Is noise,

Being able to use higher ISO sensitivities with less noise. Thats what matters to me the most.

I don't care if a camera can do ISO 1600, not like i'd ever need it. What DOES matter to me is the fact that it can do ISO 400/800 with the same amount of noise as my PowerShot does at ISO 50/200

Plus the added fact that ISO 100 on D-SLR's is absolutely smoother than a babys new born arse.

So this whole telephoto/wide angle/macro dosn't mean alot to me. Since the added accessories are available on the prosumer cameras anyway.

But i've found that they tend to be roughly the same price. For a telephoto converter for a prosumer camera for example - you could just buy an whole 200mm lens (cheapo one) for your D-SLR.

So maybe it's really not too bad after all - i'm just extremely bothered by the fact that i have to buy a lens when i get my D-SLR.

In other words.. i want to get in the D-SLR, i'm super impressed with the figures, and i beleive a prosumer camera just isn't going to be good enough.

But am i tredding in alittle bit too deep? Should i stay clear of D-SLR's because of their level of professionalism?

I beleive i've taken my little S45 to the limit, i take good photographs for an S45 owner - but i have no idea how i'm going to fare, if i make the bold move in investing in a D-SLR. I'm just worried that it might be too much for me to handle.

You can see some of my pictures here:

http://home.iprimus.com.au/easton/myyellowhonda/car_gallery.htm

So ultimately, what is your opinion? Does my noise/iso reason justify my move into a D-SLR? Or am i making a move into something, that i really should'nt go near at the moment.

As a bonus reason for getting into D-SLR's... my 21st comes in a years time. It'd make the perfect gift, so in other words.. i don't really have to even pay for the body in the end. Probably just the lenses.

But still, should i stay away? I heard theres no preview/video out feed on D-SLR's.

Your advice, suggestions and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Ohh and as a final note - i'm an absolute fanatical user of adobe photoshop.

Easton-

Ohh and i really don't give much of a DAMN about megapixels.

Some really wicked photos you got there! Yes, you deserve to jump over to a DSLR. ;)

if i were u i'd go for the end. just live with a good lens mayb the 24-70 initially. x1.6 for a canon u can get (38.4 to 116) or mayb even the 28-135 IS (44.8 - 216) with a Canon 10D. I went thru the "prosumer" wiff my 7hi...i find that i did not want to be limited (after a VERY short cycle of use). since you are apparently not wanting to be bound by your cam limits you should take a bold dive and not look back at in-betweens. go go go! :devil:

Sell the car, get a DSLR and some good lenses.

Seriously though, get a 10D and a couple of Sigma lenses (24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8). $5K max, including cards, flashes and other peripherals. Should be set for at least the next 5 years, which works out to about $1K a year. Much less than the petrol you're burning.

Originally posted by StreetShooter
Sell the car, get a DSLR and some good lenses.

Seriously though, get a 10D and a couple of Sigma lenses (24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8). $5K max, including cards, flashes and other peripherals. Should be set for at least the next 5 years, which works out to about $1K a year. Much less than the petrol you're burning.

Ah ... that only works if one can remain unfazed when 20D, 30D and such hits the market every year! :dent:

Originally posted by AdamGoi
Ah ... that only works if one can remain unfazed when 20D, 30D and such hits the market every year! :dent:

if can afford to buy and maintain (race spec?) Integra Type R whats the big deal about upgrading DSLR every year :cool:

So it's D-SLR then hey?

I was just nervous coz - well, it's abit of a jump from S45 to 10D.

10D can use Sigma lenseS? Didn't know that, all i knew was fuji uses nikon bodies.

As for the lenses.. you guys will have to help me out here alittle bit if you can.

I went through the websites selling lenses. I'm at a complete lost with them at the moment.

Some lenses that have the same optical zoom, are incredibly more dearer than the cheaper ones.

I've tried to make some sense out of it, and i've noticed the lower fstop number (i'm guessing thats what it represents) makes it a hell of alot more dearer.

Is that right? If so, why does wider aperture support cost so much more? Why is it so much better?

And of course - what will the ultimate difference be on the field with that big thing actually on my camera?

I only JUST started to understand this thing with zoom, (ie 300mm = 10x optical zoom) i'm still trying to figure out the rest of the details with these lenses.

Also, could somebody briefly explain what the go is with class L lenses? They look damnright dear, whats the big deal with them?

I'm clueless with this lens stuff (obviously) so i can't understand why they can vary in price so much. I'm sure theres a major thing there, i just don't understand it yet.

And yes - i'm currently working out what my first lens will be. And i'm thinking something around 28-80 or so will be just fine in the meantime.

But what really are the benefits of spending the extra money for a lower f stop lens? (2.8 by the looks of it would be dear..)

Thanks for all your help and patience guys.

Sorry to sound dumb again - but whats SEED?

lol... i see,

I'm from Australia :)

G'day ;)

Originally posted by eyst
lol... i see,

I'm from Australia :)

G'day ;)

I am going to Australia in July for 1.5 years! ;) I can meet you for shooting!

Sounds great!! Australia is so big though - where abouts in oz are you going to be?

I'm from Newcastle. Just 2 hours north of Sydney.

I just found out most of you peeps are from Singapore :)

I should have come on this forum before my last years trip there - where i could have picked up an absolute bargain.

So it's D-SLR then hey?

I was just nervous coz - well, it's abit of a jump from S45 to 10D.

So was I, jumping from a Minotla 700si (still my favourite camera, even prefer it to a Dynx 7 ;) ) ..... I lost all my lens and have to change to the Canon ones ;)

10D can use Sigma lenseS? Didn't know that, all i knew was fuji uses nikon bodies.

10D can use Sigma lens with canon mount. I am currently using 10D with 28 - 300 mm Hypercompact lens, the len cost about $525 - $600 dollars, depending on who quote you ;)

Some lenses that have the same optical zoom, are incredibly more dearer than the cheaper ones.

Different make and different Quality. The same lens A Asperical Lens is a lot cheaper then APO lens. Of course APO provides better output with (normally) better F-stops.

Is that right? If so, why does wider aperture support cost so much more? Why is it so much better?

can accomated more shutter speeds, greater flexibility.

The rest, I suggest you read some books from the Libraries as it's a whole long long story ;)

I'm worried that it's just wayyyyy too out of my own league, like a little policemen buying an M16. Or a go kart amateur with a Formula 1.

don't worry - SWAT teams use rifles too. some F1 drivers should have graduated from go-karting too. similarly, you may step up MUCH higher, you know? your pictures are fantastic - the colours and how you shoot them are incredible.

But am i tredding in alittle bit too deep? Should i stay clear of D-SLR's because of their level of professionalism?

it doesn't take a pro to handle a SLR, or DSLR for the matter. it takes someone who has a keen eye to handle one, i guess. :)

But still, should i stay away? I heard theres no preview/video out feed on D-SLR's.

erm, why would you need that for, really? there's no preview - but that's the challenge of a SLR - shoot more so that you have more you can learn from. once you've got it, you'll do fantastic. video-out? i think most still have a video-out port so you can see the image on tv...

Really sorry if this has been asked many times. I'm well aware of how annoying these "what sort of digi cam should i get?" questions can be.

I bought a Canon PowerShot S45 late last year, was worried i bought something that was too much for what i could make out of it. I went from auto, and eventually to manual.

Now, i'm definately in need of a new digital camera. My question isn't which digital cam to buy (it won't matter too much in the end), but whether or not i should delve into the D-SLR realm or not?

At the very LEAST, i will be after something like the Nikon 5700, Sony DSC-717 and Minolta's 7Hi.

The D-SLR's in the running for my money are the Canon 10D, Nikon D100 and the FujiFilm's S2Pro.

Though the Canon is currently in the lead. I'm still doing my research.

This whole thing with interchangable lenses, with some lenses being more expensive than the body alone.. is really scaring me out of D-SLR's. I'm worried that it's just wayyyyy too out of my own league, like a little policemen buying an M16. Or a go kart amateur with a Formula 1.

I'm bothered by all these flashlights, flash meters, reflectors and other jumbo accessories that i have no idea what half of them even do. I'd be happy with a camera that supports roughly 35 (25mm a bonus) to about 200mm telephoto.

A nice macro setup would be nice as well, getting in as close as 2cm would sound nifty.

Compact Flash Type I and II support is absolutely essential, (so that scraps the idea of getting any Sony's ;))

This whole hotshoe flash stuff is beyond me. What DOES matter ALOT to me in the end..

Is noise,

Being able to use higher ISO sensitivities with less noise. Thats what matters to me the most.

I don't care if a camera can do ISO 1600, not like i'd ever need it. What DOES matter to me is the fact that it can do ISO 400/800 with the same amount of noise as my PowerShot does at ISO 50/200

Plus the added fact that ISO 100 on D-SLR's is absolutely smoother than a babys new born arse.

So this whole telephoto/wide angle/macro dosn't mean alot to me. Since the added accessories are available on the prosumer cameras anyway.

But i've found that they tend to be roughly the same price. For a telephoto converter for a prosumer camera for example - you could just buy an whole 200mm lens (cheapo one) for your D-SLR.

So maybe it's really not too bad after all - i'm just extremely bothered by the fact that i have to buy a lens when i get my D-SLR.

In other words.. i want to get in the D-SLR, i'm super impressed with the figures, and i beleive a prosumer camera just isn't going to be good enough.

I beleive i've taken my little S45 to the limit, i take good photographs for an S45 owner - but i have no idea how i'm going to fare, if i make the bold move in investing in a D-SLR. I'm just worried that it might be too much for me to handle.

You can see some of my pictures here:

http://home.iprimus.com.au/easton/myyellowhonda/car_gallery.htm

So ultimately, what is your opinion? Does my noise/iso reason justify my move into a D-SLR? Or am i making a move into something, that i really should'nt go near at the moment.

As a bonus reason for getting into D-SLR's... my 21st comes in a years time. It'd make the perfect gift, so in other words.. i don't really have to even pay for the body in the end. Probably just the lenses.

Your advice, suggestions and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Ohh and as a final note - i'm an absolute fanatical user of adobe photoshop.

Easton-

U worry too much and based on ur questions, I think DSLR is out of ur league. Maybe u can try shooting more subjects and get that urge, I mean REALLY U-R-G-E!!! to get a DSLR. Then u know for sure that's the one. Don't think u're ready. OF cos I can only say but the choice is urs. I have no right to control ur thots. Just my opinion...

I definately want to get a new camera, it's just a choice between top prosumer or cheap low end D-SLR.

I think i'm almost definately going to get the D-SLR now, i've been getting prices from America and it turns out to be an aweful lot cheaper than i expected. About $2700 Australian - shipped including GST to my door. But thats just for the body.

The Nikon 5700, 7Hi etc isn't that much cheaper. Especially if the tele/wide accessories are included.

I've taken enough pics... i never shoot in RAW, always jpeg - and i just backed up my 20th cd last night. I've filled up with spindle of 20 cds now.. thats 14gb of pictures... all jpeg :eek:

And thats all in 7 months!!!

I definately want to get a new camera, it's just a choice between top prosumer or cheap low end D-SLR.

I think i'm almost definately going to get the D-SLR now, i've been getting prices from America and it turns out to be an aweful lot cheaper than i expected. About $2700 Australian - shipped including GST to my door. But thats just for the body.

The Nikon 5700, 7Hi etc isn't that much cheaper. Especially if the tele/wide accessories are included.

I've taken enough pics... i never shoot in RAW, always jpeg - and i just backed up my 20th cd last night. I've filled up with spindle of 20 cds now.. thats 14gb of pictures... all jpeg :eek:

And thats all in 7 months!!!

I got the canon 10D body for $2590, GST included ;)

Judging from the standard of your pics in your gallery, you would most probably obtain better results if u had a D-SLR at your disposal. Even "cheap low end D-SLRs" would give u overall better quality pics (smoother and noise-free) at higher ISO speeds due to the size of the sensor being used and (generally) better optics in the lenses used. Most top prosumer cams normally become quite noisy around ISO settings of 200 and above. In addition, I feel that the fast AF speed and greatly reduced shutter lag are 2 of the most powerful and important advantages a D-SLR has over a prosumer cam.

Just my measly 2cts, hope u will get ur desired cam soon. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.