Should I go to Paris?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clicknick

Apr 13, 2005
Hougang
I won one air ticket to Paris, but my GF cannot take leave and my frens all cannot go, so I am alone.

What should I do?

Should I go alone? Paris is already a super expensive city, and going alone would mean more expensive as I have to pay extra for single room at hotels, etc. Even the tour packages like Trafalgar or Cosmos charge extra for singles.

Should I sell the ticket? I don't mind selling it cheap, but I find that selling air tickets, especially to Europe, is difficult.

Anyone wanna join me for photoshoot in Paris? :bsmilie:

redstone said:
Ba Li?

Fa Guo Ba Li canoot
Ying Ni Ba Li maybe can. :bsmilie: :sweat:

:cry:

ok ok... i'm crapping.

Indonesia Bali no DaVinci Code for you to crack :nono:

When is your plane ticket ? Is it fixed dates ?

If you sell let me know ;-)

I need to go "home" in september ;-)

Otherwise : Paris alone for a Singaporean (well more generally non french speaking foreigners) can indeed be quite difficult to manage if you don't know anybody there.

Cost of living is indeed quite high, although I don't think Hotel are much more expensive than in Singapore depending on where you go.

Just another thing, considering the chance you have to leave in such a safe place, remember that Paris is not as safe. Not that you have 100% chances to be robbed, but some safety precaution have to be taken to avoid any chances.

Lonely tourists can be easily spotted and can make a very easy pray (it's just in the way you look at things with a map in your hands)

Appart from that, PARIS is a lovely city worth a 1 week visit, especially if you like history, architecture, art and ... food ;-)

redstone said:
Ba Li?

Fa Guo Ba Li canoot
Ying Ni Ba Li maybe can.

ok ok... i'm crapping.
:kok::kok: hahahahah

CRAP!!! but a good one.. :bsmilie:

Hmm... Juz go? The freedom of being alone, doing the things u want, away from ur gf or wife for a short period of time, is exhilirating. :D

Thanks for sharing. Pmed you.

Fiip said:
When is your plane ticket ? Is it fixed dates ?

If you sell let me know ;-)

I need to go "home" in september ;-)

Otherwise : Paris alone for a Singaporean (well more generally non french speaking foreigners) can indeed be quite difficult to manage if you don't know anybody there.

Cost of living is indeed quite high, although I don't think Hotel are much more expensive than in Singapore depending on where you go.

Just another thing, considering the chance you have to leave in such a safe place, remember that Paris is not as safe. Not that you have 100% chances to be robbed, but some safety precaution have to be taken to avoid any chances.

Lonely tourists can be easily spotted and can make a very easy pray (it's just in the way you look at things with a map in your hands)

Appart from that, PARIS is a lovely city worth a 1 week visit, especially if you like history, architecture, art and ... food ;-)

clicknick said:
I won one air ticket to Paris, but my GF cannot take leave and my frens all cannot go, so I am alone.

What should I do?

Should I go alone? Paris is already a super expensive city, and going alone would mean more expensive as I have to pay extra for single room at hotels, etc. E

I think if you love adventure, Paris you must go.... stay in a backpack hostel, and the rest (food, entertainment, etc..) will be manageable. Museums, architecture , tourist spots, gardens, etc.... they are so romantic, esp at night.....
Security wise, i think it's quite safe... only time i really got nervous is when travelling at underground (sometimes it is so empty and when a few big black people, and i mean really BIG ... then u actually get cold sweat when u r alone with them...)... If the weather i snice, you can just walk for hours and you wont get lost, cause Paris is actually one very long straight road...
Life's short, go go go ..... :bsmilie:

Canonised said:
I think if you love adventure, Paris you must go.... stay in a backpack hostel, and the rest (food, entertainment, etc..) will be manageable. Museums, architecture , tourist spots, gardens, etc.... they are so romantic, esp at night.....
Security wise, i think it's quite safe... only time i really got nervous is when travelling at underground (sometimes it is so empty and when a few big black people, and i mean really BIG ... then u actually get cold sweat when u r alone with them...)... If the weather i snice, you can just walk for hours and you wont get lost, cause Paris is actually one very long straight road...Life's short, go go go ..... :bsmilie:

Really ???

I'm sure we went to the same Paris then, or you missed a lot of things :bsmilie:

map-paris.jpg

Been there once, 3 years ago... Absolutely love it.

I was travelling in a group of 3s, hence maybe didnt feel that it's as dangerous as say Rome or Barcelona (In fact, the whole of spain). I think you can get cheaper food at the university area. Lodging wise, hostels are the same no matter how many pple go together.

One more thing, it has one of the most comprehensive, and pretty uncomplicated subway I have seen. Lovely place...

i really would take this opportunity if i were you.
there are cheap hotel options if you are worried about accomodation.
dont have to be there for very long, 4-5 days can already.

but there are many magical things about that city that i think everyone should experience.

Well, what better chance to get away alone since your GF cannot make leave!! :bsmilie:

many good reasons for you to go...
every corner has a good photographic opportunity..
every museum will make you go "wow"

I been there before, great fun..
like what other said....backpack..stay @ the international youth hostel (if its still around...cos i was there many years back)..
and you make many friends...

I enjoyed my lone backpacking in europe alot..
when you are with someone or friends, fellow backpackers will not approach and befriend you.
If you are alone, fellow backpackers are more than happy to share the day journey with you.
I travelled with backpackers from all over the world in different european countries..

and even with japanese girl!! (nothing xxx happened thou)...:bsmilie:

its fun...you should go alone...not exactly alone..with a camera of course. ;p
when i was in italy...i even went camera shopping with an austrian dude..
and bargained singapore style...cannot discount..ask for free gifts!!
I even got a free eyecap for my FM2 thou he was the one getting the camera!

nice place to travel by yourself. great subway system with one at almost every block.
the people are surprisingly more friendly than the british, it is pretty safe, just stick to the public areas. I got by without much hassle
Travelling alone has its advantages, you meet more people, you can spend as much time taking photos without the other party complaining, you get tables at nice busy restaurants easily. Sure it is a little more expensive than other places, but there are great affordable places to stay in. You can dine really well at pretty good prices, there are large bistro that does really good value sets. Boy i miss the deli.

also, ifu think paris is expensive, try staying in london...

anyway, most of central paris, quite walkable. but i hear the weather is quite hot at the moment, may want to delay tillthe autumn. european countries are not very nice places to visit in the height of summer i find.

Well...
further more...if you are there with your woman...
dont think you will have the freedom to stop...see...shoot..
most probably...stop..see...shop instead..

haha..wicked...go go ....
wish i have free air tickets too!

It is well worth going. Don't worry about saving it for an eventual trip with your partner, Paris is one of those places you can visit again and again without getting sick of it. If you are a keen photog, going alone actually gives you an opportunity to slow down and take lots of nice pics. Its really fun to travel with family, but on family trips I rarely have much time or space to take many pics.

Its easy to get around the place, Metro is comprehensive and affordable. If you aren't too fussy, food is ok too. Accomodation can be pricey though.

All in all, I'd say take the trip.

Enjoy!

Fiip said:
Really ???

I'm sure we went to the same Paris then, or you missed a lot of things :bsmilie:
Flip .... literally if you look straight from the La Defense you will end up with the Place de la Bastille , and in between will be probably 80% of the places of interest in Paris. The first impt building will be the Arc de Triomphe and the whole stretch of Champs Elysees (Orchard Road?) .... then probably the Grand Palais, Pont Alexandre, the Assemble Nationale, then Place le la Concorde .... then the giant field, the Jardin des Tuleres, Universities, Arc du Carousel. the Louvre, the famous Hotel de Ville and finally the Place de la Bastille .... all almost in a straight line.
The other two major locations will be south, the Eiffel tower area and to the north, the Montmartre area, the Sacré-Coeur Basilica ... both will be ideal at night.
Once you cover these, you see almost the whole of Paris, both probably u need at need about 5 days.
Flip, if you follow my plan (walking only) i dont think you will get yourself lost in Paris.
I dont think i missed much there .... but every time i go back... everything looks exciting again. :heart:

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences about Paris. Keep it coming.

What about language? Is that really a big problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.