Should i go my grad trip alone? Anyone interested to meet up and go together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

londonray

Mar 25, 2005
Hi peeps, graduating from London this year... planning to go to greece/turkey... was wondering whether i should go alone or try to find someone to go together...

Going alone is more flexible... but there's lack of companionship and also the worry of losing equipment if you stay in dorms/shared rooms.

On the other hand... it's quite different to go on holiday with others who are simply not really interested in photography (i plan to make this a photog outing) and so i am afraid that i might bore them to death...

Are there any suggestions? Anyone interested to meet up and go together from sg is also welcome to post here or PM me... cheers... (likely dates are 29th June to 11th July)

Ever thought of venice?

Klose said:
Ever thought of venice?

oops... forgot to add a little background... since i have been here for close to 3 years... have travelled rather extensively over europe...places i have been to include the following:

UK, Italy (venice/rome/florence/milan), Berlin, Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam, Norway, Sweden, Austria, Prague ... yah... about there... which was why i am thinking of going to turkey and greece... but i am open to suggestions if anyone wants to go somewhere more fun...

From what i understand... Poland and Budapest present very nice opportunities as well...

anyone planning to come? quick post here... can all go together!

londonray said:
oops... forgot to add a little background... since i have been here for close to 3 years... have travelled rather extensively over europe...places i have been to include the following:

UK, Italy (venice/rome/florence/milan), Berlin, Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam, Norway, Sweden, Austria, Prague ... yah... about there... which was why i am thinking of going to turkey and greece... but i am open to suggestions if anyone wants to go somewhere more fun...

From what i understand... Poland and Budapest present very nice opportunities as well...

anyone planning to come? quick post here... can all go together!

hmm in that case provence? Only covered UK, France and Spain during my 2 years there :sticktong

Prague? :think: How about Beruit?

barracuda said:
any proposed itinerary and what is the budget like?

erm... the reason for the sudden interest is coz easyjet is having an offer on their tickets now... 40%off...

From what i gather... budget will be around $2k sgd... that's excluding plane tickets to/from singapore. Trip roughly around 10-11 days... Starting/ending in the 2 cities istanbul/athens...
itinery erm... i plan to start istanbul moving into greece via land hopefully a plane ride to the islands (crete/santorini) then finally end up in athens... but i have yet to set a concrete itinery yet... so quite open to suggestions... esp from pple who have been to these places recently...

Have been to greece and turkey with a group of friends before. Length of trip was around 2 weeks. We flew into Athens, bummed around for 2 days, then took a ferry to Santorini. From there, we commence island hopping, spending normally 1 day 1 night on each island. Went to Naxos, Praxox, Samos, and from Samos, took a ferry to Kusadasi, Turkey. From Kusadasi, hired a mini bus to drive us all the way to Istanbul, stopping at Ephebes, Troy and Galilee on the way. Spend a few days in Instanbul before flying back to London. Total damage was around 500-600pds.

If you want to go, you need to book your accom early as the period you are going in is peak period. I went in early spring before start of season, so there's lots of choices to choose from, but I don't think that will be your case. Travelling singly, it will be darn ex to get a single room, most of the time you will be staying in dorm... wouldn't be as fun too. We went one huge grp (about 7ppl), and we rented minivan on the islands most of the time and self drive.. had lots of fun.

justarius said:
Have been to greece and turkey with a group of friends before. Length of trip was around 2 weeks. We flew into Athens, bummed around for 2 days, then took a ferry to Santorini. From there, we commence island hopping, spending normally 1 day 1 night on each island. Went to Naxos, Praxox, Samos, and from Samos, took a ferry to Kusadasi, Turkey. From Kusadasi, hired a mini bus to drive us all the way to Istanbul, stopping at Ephebes, Troy and Galilee on the way. Spend a few days in Instanbul before flying back to London. Total damage was around 500-600pds.

If you want to go, you need to book your accom early as the period you are going in is peak period. I went in early spring before start of season, so there's lots of choices to choose from, but I don't think that will be your case. Travelling singly, it will be darn ex to get a single room, most of the time you will be staying in dorm... wouldn't be as fun too. We went one huge grp (about 7ppl), and we rented minivan on the islands most of the time and self drive.. had lots of fun.

thanks for sharing... helps me plan a lot... cheers dude... will try to look for more pple to go together...

londonray said:
Hi peeps, graduating from London this year... planning to go to greece/turkey... was wondering whether i should go alone or try to find someone to go together...

Going alone is more flexible... but there's lack of companionship and also the worry of losing equipment if you stay in dorms/shared rooms.

On the other hand... it's quite different to go on holiday with others who are simply not really interested in photography (i plan to make this a photog outing) and so i am afraid that i might bore them to death...

Are there any suggestions? Anyone interested to meet up and go together from sg is also welcome to post here or PM me... cheers... (likely dates are 29th June to 11th July)
Interesting trip. But I doubt I'll have moola within 2mths since I got another trip to plan for.

If no one's going along with u, why not seize this opportunity to take a lone trip to those places? U noe? Take some time off for urself, sort ur thoughts out, thinking what to do in the future/coming years, etc.

hi there, greece and turkey are really great place for photography. a greek friend of mine has been inviting me over but never did do that instead she has been visiting me often :)) was in istanbul 2 years ago. great place too but kinda expensive. anyway, enjoy yourself !

thanks jsbn and nikonlenses... i'll try my best to find someone... but yah.. if nothing works out... i might just go myself... hehe...

Santorini is really a very very very beautiful place. In terms of photographic opportunities, you can spend a week there and still not be satisfied. Istanbul was also amazing.... very very exotic but I didn't think much of Athens.

justarius said:
Santorini is really a very very very beautiful place. In terms of photographic opportunities, you can spend a week there and still not be satisfied. Istanbul was also amazing.... very very exotic but I didn't think much of Athens.

thanks.. trying my best to find a buddy to go along with... see how it goes lah...

Londonray,

Should always go in a group at least 3 to 4. Unless your not afraid of getting nicked by their locals and the gypsies. The gypsies with infants in their arms are often the ones who will nick your passports. There are all over Europe. This is a general statement of course, doesn't mean all gypsies are thieves though.

But do consider taking the cruise from Dover to France and then proceed to Paris before heading to Amsterdam and definitely Venice and Florence.

Jus be careful... it's not like in London or S'pore ya?

Cheers!

photonick2004 said:
Londonray,

Should always go in a group at least 3 to 4. Unless your not afraid of getting nicked by their locals and the gypsies. The gypsies with infants in their arms are often the ones who will nick your passports. There are all over Europe. This is a general statement of course, doesn't mean all gypsies are thieves though.

But do consider taking the cruise from Dover to France and then proceed to Paris before heading to Amsterdam and definitely Venice and Florence.

Jus be careful... it's not like in London or S'pore ya?

Cheers!

THanks for the advice... but $ and time are 2 precious commodities i have a lack of... hence only planning to visit a very selective number of places... Amsterdam,Venice and florence i have been to already... hehe... so doubt i would want to go there again so soon...

Travel alone is an adventure all by itself. It forces u to do things u will not normally do like talk to strangers etc. I was alone for a few days when travelling with some friends on a trip n its a very special experience.http://singaporephoto.blogspot.com

depends on your character. most ppl do better with companions, either with closed ones, with friends or with ppl of the same interest.

definite benefits
1. safety
2. cheaper (if it fits in transport and accomodation snugly)

possible conflicts over anything, particularly pace of travelling and different affordability.

well, if you are already in europe, see if you can get friends from those you know there. if not, you can try sourcing from forums, either here or other travel/photo forums. i think you might feel slightly safer getting fellow singaporean clubsnappers to join, but that is just my impression. only difficulty is that it is too near now, ppl need to take leave for that.

too bad no moola and no time/leave now. planning to travel somewhere in sep or earlier in august, but definitely no june and very unlikely july. and sad, wanted to save up on car and maybe house later, so will not be spending much on travelling unless can find another cheap cheap promotion in aug/sep with flight to east europe at less than $800. tentatively KIV plan for southwest PRC - yunnan/guizhou/guangxi area or india/sri lanka.

Status
Not open for further replies.