should i give up photography?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OzOn3

Jul 12, 2003
Singapore
www.nig3l.com
Should i give up photography?? To like spend my money on a new PC (HL2 anyone?! :D ), or buy some new clothing for myself.. got spend it on RC cars (ya, they may cost money, but they're cheaper!)..

My current equipment list, for the record:

Canon EOS 30 + Battery Pack
Canon EF 50mm f1.8
Canon EF 75-300 f4-f5.6
Slik U8800 tripod
now defunct Zenitar Fish-eye 16mm
couple of negatives.. whole lot of photos..

What triggered me to think about selling everything away was
first:
i need two more items to complete my inventory.. either a EF 20-35 USM, or EF 24mm and a flash.. They're not cheap :'(

secondly:
my laptop is getting soooo jumpy!!! must be the stupid usb sound processor:(

thirdly:
RC cars seem fun :D

fourthly:
who can i show the pictures to? :(

fifth:
developing costs quite highhhhh :cry:

someone bitch with me.

wow...but i think you shouldn't give up photography??

yo bro, me also considering between photography & RC helicopter... both costs a bomb!!

tell us the reason why you took up photography then.

engr said:
yo bro, me also considering between photography & RC helicopter... both costs a bomb!!
hahah!!! SOMEONE START A "HELP OZON3 BUY WHAT HE WANTS" FUND!!! :D

well, i got a DC first.. then the reason why was because i thought it was cool to have a camera to take pictures.. but as i got more and more interested in the advance photography techiniques, i dwell deeper and further into the rabbit hole..

so i guess i end up where i am today :cry:

If u need to ask this question, then I think u should give up, get back to what u enjoy most. When u are ready, u can always come back to photography in later years.

anyway, if u wanna buy RC car, i have a 3 year old HPI RS4 for sale :)
bought it when i was working the States. cost US$300+ for the body but all the modifications make up to more than US$1k. :bigeyes:
the engine is a .15 producing 1+ housepower. :bsmilie:

You're deciding between giving up photography or giving up your existing photography equipment? There's a subtle difference in syntax but there's a great difference semantically.

You can choose to sell your equipment, but u need not give up photography. You can still pursue the hobby using a cheap P&S like the MjuII (<$100) or a trusty old A40 if you prefer digital. That is, if you're really interested in photography.

This only show that you does not have a firm and proper liking of Photography....so that's why you will give it up so easily. Rite?

OzOn3 said:
i need two more items to complete my inventory.. either a EF 20-35 USM, or EF 24mm and a flash.. They're not cheap :'(
who can i show the pictures to? :(

Sounds like you're more interested in collecting photographic equipments than photography alone. There is no need to "complete" an inventory... if there is such a thing.

As for showing pictures, it's the satisfaction of knowing you've taken a great shot; the sweat, patience, and skills that went into making it so.

Xaler said:
Sounds like you're more interested in collecting photographic equipments than photography alone. There is no need to "complete" an inventory... if there is such a thing.

As for showing pictures, it's the satisfaction of knowing you've taken a great shot; the sweat, patience, and skills that went into making it so.

:thumbsup:

OzOn3 said:
well, i got a DC first.. then the reason why was because i thought it was cool to have a camera to take pictures.. but as i got more and more interested in the advance photography techiniques, i dwell deeper and further into the rabbit hole..

so i guess i end up where i am today :cry:

Heh heh....

In the first place, have you ever started on "Photography"?

:angel:

OzOn3 said:
Should i give up photography?? To like spend my money on a new PC (HL2 anyone?! :D ), or buy some new clothing for myself.. got spend it on RC cars (ya, they may cost money, but they're cheaper!)..

Canon EF 50mm f1.8
Canon EF 75-300 f4-f5.6
Slik U8800 tripod

first:
i need two more items to complete my inventory.. either a EF 20-35 USM, or EF 24mm and a flash.. They're not cheap

secondly:
my laptop is getting soooo jumpy!!! must be the stupid usb sound processor

thirdly:
RC cars seem fun

fourthly:
who can i show the pictures to?

fifth:
developing costs quite highhhhh

someone bitch with me.

want to buy some nice clothes? the next sale is at january 2005 before chinese new year, obtw some stores are having their end of the year sales, should sell your EOS30 and boost the retail trade a bit. :bsmilie:

sell the laptop too, dun wait until got no value.

yes RC cars are more fun, more ppl will see you play with your cars than bother with your pictures, really. the only pictures other ppl see is when i take of them. The rest is for my personal enjoyment but if you dun like what you create, nevermind there are other toys.

developing cost are just going the get higher when lesser ppl wash film, photography is not that cool anymore, its ok make that switch, go shopping, retail therpy is great :thumbsup: support local brands!

Only yourself will know the answer. Sound simple but people keep having this doubt.

It is just a hobby (hmm.. wonder how many times have I said this?). Take it easily.. Just a thing to help you unwind and past time.

There's nothing ashame in giving up a hobby. People interest do change. I used to spend lots of time meddling with other stuffs like stamps, aquatic plants etc. Now, dun really spend too much time on them due to work and photography.

Think over it a while. You can either let the hobby became dormant by keeping the gear or just sell everything.

OzOn3 said:
Should i give up photography?? To like spend my money on a new PC (HL2 anyone?!), or buy some new clothing for myself.. got spend it on RC cars (ya, they may cost money, but they're cheaper!)..

Canon EF 50mm f1.8
Canon EF 75-300 f4-f5.6
Slik U8800 tripod

first:
i need two more items to complete my inventory.. either a EF 20-35 USM, or EF 24mm and a flash.. They're not cheap
Well, I want the following for my 300D:
EF 17-40L (u noe how much THIS baby cost even for 2nd hand)
Sigma 18-125mm
Battery Grip
1 more spare battery
A good tripod
A good ballhead

Not cheap stuff either. :D

Anyway I dun think I'd bought new clothes for myself for like a year plus. My clothes all backdated by a whole year. Wad's it with new clothes and fashion anyway?

secondly:
my laptop is getting soooo jumpy!!! must be the stupid usb sound processor
My iMac ain't doing so well either. With the impending release of Tiger next year, I reckon I gonna need a new Mac. Photo editing on my G3 has never been so slow.

thirdly:
RC cars seem fun
Yeah. They do seem fun. But me not into RC cars. Gimme a real car anyday. :thumbsup:

fourthly:
who can i show the pictures to?
U got all ye chaps in Clubsnap!! :D Of cos, no one appreciates my photos either (cos its still pretty lousy despite being into DSLRs for like 1/2yr?).

fifth:
developing costs quite highhhhh
This one we can't help u either, unless we strike Toto $10 million. Den we can sponsor u $100,000 for ur own darkroom and all those chemicals. ;)

You should give up photography .................take up photography when you are ready :p

Yo Ozone,

Seriously if you are not in need of cash from the sale of your equipment then just leave them in your dry cabi.

The other hobbies you listed also need $$$ so it is just a matter of allocating your money around. Giving photography up sure won't make you richer.

I know what you are going through.... just shook off the buy buy buy bug and had to give up some other things cos I spend quite a bit on buying lens. Come to think of it.. I still need a fast zoom lens and a flash to make my equipment complete but I'm taking my time.

So just take a break and do other stuff then pick up photography again later. Sure beats having to build up another collection again after selling everything off.

yo ozone....if you feel 100% that you have reached your peak, then give up photography. might as well spend your time and $$$ on a new hobby that potentially gives you more pleasure and fulfilment. however, you may just be going through a dry spell, or have temporarily plateau-ed, so don't give up so readily. your next significant jump in skill level may just be around the corner. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.