Should i get the Canon 350D or Nikon D50?

Status
Not open for further replies.
melvin said:
:thumbsup: Agreed!:thumbsup:
Go for 350D 2 more mega pix means alot beta quality!
Go go go.......:bsmilie:
Wow.. more MP means more quality. Dang... I knew I should have attended a course on photography...

hmm... I thought after certain limit of Megapixels, larger one is only useful when we want to print larger image? For example, if we just want to make a digital print of R4 size, the quality of the image will looks almost the same with 6 megapixels or 8 megapixels, no?

arantha said:
hmm... I thought after certain limit of Megapixels, larger one is only useful when we want to print larger image? For example, if we just want to make a digital print of R4 size, the quality of the image will looks almost the same with 6 megapixels or 8 megapixels, no?
Yes, that is correct.

melvin said:
:thumbsup: Agreed!:thumbsup:
Go for 350D 2 more mega pix means alot beta quality!
:bsmilie:

strictly speaking, 8 is a bigger number than 6. i.e; 8 > 6.
so strictly speaking, a camera with 8mp will be better than a camera with 6mp.
unless someone can prove that 6 is greater than or equal to 8. which is impossible.

heheh 1 yr ago i was asking my self a similar Q 350D or the D70s...

you got to feel the camera yourself.. and try out and find out which you are more comfortable with..

for me people around me also affected me cos i loved the 350D but no one ard me was using canon.. and i cldnt get any 'teacher' or immediate help if i was down w a problem and even as a gal i feel the grip of 350D is way too small.. not comfortable with it.. further more i think D70s has a faster start up .. heeeeehheee.. and i love 'd moment' shots.. if you miss a split second of it.. you missed your moment.. :p

so u got to get comfortable with the camera first before you decide.. hehe go to the IT show and play with the camera then you decide ;) have fun!

This is true. After all, more megapix means more room to play with during PP. e.g. cropping, sharpening, or even dead pixel wont be so easily seen.

user111 said:
unless someone can prove that 6 is greater than or equal to 8. which is impossible.

Lain said:
heheh 1 yr ago i was asking my self a similar Q 350D or the D70s...

you got to feel the camera yourself.. and try out and find out which you are more comfortable with..

for me people around me also affected me cos i loved the 350D but no one ard me was using canon.. and i cldnt get any 'teacher' or immediate help if i was down w a problem and even as a gal i feel the grip of 350D is way too small.. not comfortable with it.. further more i think D70s has a faster start up .. heeeeehheee.. and i love 'd moment' shots.. if you miss a split second of it.. you missed your moment.. :p

so u got to get comfortable with the camera first before you decide.. hehe go to the IT show and play with the camera then you decide ;) have fun!

Good point. I'll still recommend D70s over and over again. I find 1 thing that edged over the others is D70s kit lens. Well worth the money spent. :)

D70s with kit lens :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Upz Upz :bsmilie:

Breathe said:
This is true. After all, more megapix means more room to play with during PP. e.g. cropping, sharpening, or even dead pixel wont be so easily seen.
You da pro :thumbsup:

Agree that the 350D without the grip is a bit weird on handling. That's why a lot of us bought the grip. :thumbsup: Feels really solid with the grip. Not to mention the extra vertical shutter button and controls. The D50/70/70s has no first party grip AFAIK.

Also agree that the D70/D70s kit lens is a good lens :)

Still, having tried both cams, I feel that the 350D is the one for the newbie.

If you get the Canon EOS 350D make sure you also get the vertical grip b'cause the camera grip itself is so tiny. (Hope that Canon will take notice of it and prevent such a design again for the next camera.) For Nikon D70s with the kit lens are also recommended, go try out both camera and see which one suit you.:)

one of the best advice i read last time was..

buy the brand which your friends are using.. if most of ur friends r using canon, then buy canon. coz u can borrow lens n equipments from them. and if anysh*t happen they can help u & ur DSLR too.

:thumbsup:

either camera will do fine. try and see if u like the vertical grip. i think that's the main plus point for the 350D.

user111 said:
This is one of the myths in digital photography. It shows how effective the marketing strategy of megapixel counting. Surely 8 > 6, but the equation does not include handling, AF, lens, post-processing, and many other factors. Personally I will not vote on 350D (don't know about D50) due to its uncomfortable small size (in my hand). The thread starter should really try out both cameras (and more) before making any decision. 20D/30D or D70 may be a better alternative (especially in terms of handling).

tomshen said:
This is one of the myths in digital photography. It shows how effective the marketing strategy of megapixel counting. Surely 8 > 6, but the equation does not include handling, AF, lens, post-processing, and many other factors. Personally I will not vote on 350D (don't know about D50) due to its uncomfortable small size (in my hand). The thread starter should really try out both cameras (and more) before making any decision. 20D/30D or D70 may be a better alternative (especially in terms of handling).
Hear ye hear ye, :bsmilie: a professional is always more knowledgable than a over-zealous no-brainer. :bsmilie:

I select 350D not it is better then D70 but because I have friends who can lend me their lens.

Whichever camera u select, the most important are
1. Value for money- how much extras in the camera will be using. Is it worth it?
2. Handling/weight - Are u comfortable with handling it
3. Lens - friends/collegues are using SLR(which brand).

Considering AF, lens processing etc etc ... of coz when buying a camera all must be considered.

But strictly speaking, all other factors aside (i.e. comparing only megapixels) 8 mp must be > than 6 mp, and therefore better. In User111's post, he only talk about MP in isolation.

tomshen said:

Breathe said:
Considering AF, lens processing etc etc ... of coz when buying a camera all must be considered.

But strictly speaking, all other factors aside (i.e. comparing only megapixels) 8 mp must be > than 6 mp, and therefore better. In User111's post, he only talk about MP in isolation.
Strickly speaking... a focused image at 4MP shows more details than a slightly out-of-focus image at 8+MP; a 6MP digital back provides more details than 8+MP 35mm sensor; a 4MP DSLR possibly rules out any consumer grade non-SLR cameras for actions and low lights. Nothing is absolute.

Any idea on the latest price of D50? Used to be $1280 a couple of months back, haven't gone down to check out the prices recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.