Should I get a Nikon DSLR or just a semi pro?

sWalloW

Sep 27, 2005
Hi All,

Have been lurking around this forum for close to 6 years with not a single post. :)
I was attracted to this forum when I 1st saw some really nice photos taken with a dslr.

Recently I am thinking to invest in a Nikon DSLR as I travel about 3 times a year and somehow, I always ended up with dissapointing photos with my P&S cam.
I also have 2 dogs who are my 1st piority in life and a P&S is just not fast enough to capture them most of the time.
Will it be a waste if I just use my DSLR for travelling, dogs and food?

I also have friends who keep telling me to just get a semi pro instead.
As I'm female, I have also encountered guys who tell me "don't waste moolah on a dslr since most girls he know just uses auto on a DSLR which is dumb."

I have seen alot of fantastic photos on this forum and it seems like most of them are shot with manual settings so I do understand that I have alot to learn and readup on before getting quality photos.

Would like to just get some advice, I have never used a semi pro or DSLR before, I can't gurentee that this is a hobby that I will devote my life to...BUT because I have nv tried, I won't know. Who knows I may just fall in love with it?

Should I go ahead and get a dslr?

Have been reading up and was thinking of a D3100 to start off..but the more I read, the more I lean towards a D5100.

If I were to get a dslr, would a d3100 be better for a complete noob or just go ahead with a d5100?

Also, I'm going for a Europe trip end of this month, kinda worried that I won't be able to learn e basics by then and end up facing some complications with the camera then.

ps: why nikon? Am not sure, but something just pulls me to choose nikon and not canon. =)

And yes, before I get flamed, I did my do my homework and read through the newbie section stickies, including the whole d3100 and d5100 thread. ;p

Your best answer lies in Nikon Showroom, have a feel of both cameras and ask whenever you are unsure about certain things.

in my humble opinion a DSLR will serve you better in the long run in terms of image quality and flexibility. however if the bulk of a DSLR body + lens/lenses + accessories will be a physical burden to you in your travels, then a prosumer/pro compact may be a better choice.

You just have to ask yourself what kind of image quality you can live with. But I would put it to you that if your dogs are as impt to you as mine are to me, you'll want the highest quality possible. Especially if you're taking a lot of pictures at home with artificial lighting... the AF speed of compacts just can't match up to the dSLR.

I bought my first dSLR (a Pentax) for the singular purpose of taking pictures of my dogs & I haven't looked back since. Now I also use the camera to take travel pictures & landscapes. I can't advice you on which Nikon camera to buy as I'm a pentax user.. but I'm sure if you take to time & effort to learn how to use it properly you'll not regret choosing a dSLR over a compact... seeing as a high-end compact now costs almost the same as an entry level dSLR

p.s. just checked my photo library - I currently have ~4000 pictures of my dogs on my HD. Most of them will never see the light of day but I've gotten some priceless shots that would not have been possible without the AF speed & high iso capability of my dSLR.

If you feel that you already hit the upper limit with what you can do using a P&S camera but you still want more, then I guess it's a good time to consider a dSLR.

Both Nikon D3100 and D5100 are good choices to start, as well as Canon 550D, 600D, or 60D.

Good luck =)

Best is to have a feel of e 2 models, the weight, e feel when u r holding it whether u r comfortable with it.
A dslr will last u for yrs so imo it's a good investment. Some questions to ask would be what's e features that attracts u to 5100, is it something that u need (better iso performance, fps etc)
Manual mode gives e user more control but good pictures can be taken using other modes as well such as shutter & aperture priority mode (shd be A n S mode on nikon, not sure cos I'm a canon user)
Understanding e basic such as exposure triangle would be more impt,
There's still time for b4 e trip so shoot as much as u can, join gathering/outings etc, thru trial n error we learn, check forum or webbie if in doubt.
Jus my opinion ^^

In my opinion, D5100 is a good start for you, and you will probably find the swivel screen useful when taking photos of your dogs from a low angle. Since your trip is coming real soon, better get hold of one quickly and start shooting/learning as much as you can. :)

Your friend has seen girls doing that kind of thing but the question is whether you belong to that type of girls?

I only got my DSLR also around one month before I went overseas... Undoubtedly, you might not get quality photos straight away but to learn while you are touring is quite a good experience.

One thing to note, when I went to Europe, I haven't had my camera so it was pretty wasted with all the photos taken PnS by my father. If you/ your parents could spend the money on a Europe trip, get something really decent to justify it and bring some decent photos back or you'll be regretting.

To have a DSLR and not use the ASM modes is not entirely dumb. The whole point is the presence of these ASM (manual modes)... So if you pay the higher price premium for a semi pro compact camera and not use the manual modes as well... it's not "smart" either.

I also have friends who keep telling me to just get a semi pro instead.
As I'm female, I have also encountered guys who tell me "don't waste moolah on a dslr since most girls he know just uses auto on a DSLR which is dumb."
Just a quick comment on that point.

It does seem a wee bit wasteful to pay for manual controls when you don't use them, but at the end of the day, if you manage to get good results with auto, it doesn't matter what mode you used.

That said, knowledge of manual control will allow you much more room to get what you want. It's not a MUST-HAVE to get good images, but I'd say that it really helps on the way to having control of your output. I won't really put too much thought into this point. If you are interested enough, sooner or later, you will definitely brush up on technique and technicalities.

Hope this helps in your consideration.

Nowadays, DSLR is so cheap, good compact price add $100-$200 can get a good second hand DSLR or even first hand (since CS B&S second hand market is a bit siao, where got people sell just $50 less for a camera that is one year old and without warranty compared to brand new)... Plus you would probably make the same amount of loss whether you buy a compact or DSLR. I think the most important point is - DSLR is larger, there is a bit more maintenance involved... Would you use it, or would you rather carry something lighter and smaller which is more trouble free?

Thanks for all the replies.

Will probably getting my camera by this weekend. As per advice, will probably go get a feel of it before deciding.

Honestly, as I have yet to even play with an DSLR before, I'm ashamed to say that 1 of the main features pulling me to the D5100 is that swivel screen. =p

I remember how hard it was for me to get a photo of Seoul's namsan tower despite lying on the floor already. This screen will definately help in such cases.

And like what you all mention, my dogs are small dogs, so the screen will also assist me alot in taking their photos.

As for weight wise and size, who wouldn't want a small and light camera!!
I did consider getting a nex 5 or c3, but the expensive lenses is stopping me.

The benefits of Nikon I can think of..is that if I really end up loving the camera, I will have more lens options at a cheaper price.
I love the bokeh effect and intend to get a 50mm f1.8 G lens to add on some time in the future.

In the mean time, i intend to just stick to the kit lens and explore its possibilities first.
=)

dslr is not that difficult to handle but you must make an effort to learn and put into practice and you will get satisfaction with the sharpness, color and snapping those shot which your P&S cant. start off with a basic dslr like 5100 & a useful zoom lens like 18-105mm and progress slowly. Once you progressed, move to prime portrait lens like 50mm f1.4 & 85mm f1.8 for your dogs & people.

I shot a lot of different dogs using portrait lenses and the dogs all look great in the photos.

Do bear in mind the post processing is also a skill which you need to learn to make picture looks great.

haha..although i am using canon now, i missed nikon.

Thanks for all the replies.

Will probably getting my camera by this weekend. As per advice, will probably go get a feel of it before deciding.

Honestly, as I have yet to even play with an DSLR before, I'm ashamed to say that 1 of the main features pulling me to the D5100 is that swivel screen. =p

I remember how hard it was for me to get a photo of Seoul's namsan tower despite lying on the floor already. This screen will definately help in such cases.

And like what you all mention, my dogs are small dogs, so the screen will also assist me alot in taking their photos.

The benefits of Nikon I can think of..is that if I really end up loving the camera, I will have more lens options at a cheaper price.
I love the bokeh effect and intend to get a 50mm f1.8 G lens to add on some time in the future.

In the mean time, i intend to just stick to the kit lens and explore its possibilities first.
=)

LOL IMHO, someone lying on the floor trying to get the best angle/composition in his/her picture is a good sign of a passion in photography. Well at least it's a good start =)

=)

You are comparing a mirrorless system with a DSLR system. Given that Sony just started developing the mirrorless system, there would obviously be lesser lenses available. It is not exactly at a cheaper price because there's some extent of rivalry amongst camera brands so the prices aren't too far apart.

Just for your information, D5100 does not have a built-in autofocus motor, which means that you must get G lenses to autofocus with it, which also means that you cannot autofocus with cheaper AFD lenses or even manual focus lenses. Is it cheap this way? That's for you to consider.

You might be disappointed by a dslr, most people wants to believe is the camera that will give amazing commercial quality pictures, and it is also what Nikon and Canon wants people to believe.

And, unless you are passionate about photography, most girls find slr too big and a hassle.

Try a Fuji X100 if your budget is high, might make you happier than a dslr.

The real feel is so important. My friend decided to buy D5100. He read all about the specs and blah blah...he has limited use, budget, D5100 is "perfect fit". At the shop he wanted to make a comparison and ended up not liking the D5100. Bought the D90 instead. It's all personal feel.... Go try out!

hi OP, feel free to post or at least PM someone that you like. To answer your virgin post...I kinda agree that you should try out at least the showrooms of Canon, Nikon and Sony.

Canon go Vivo, Nikon go fuji xerox tower, Sony you may wanna try Wisma. Don't care about model just go there and feel all the models, the lenses, the accessories and talk to the people that the manufacturer trains and hire. They represent a lot of the products and services they provide.

Very similar to your case, I travel very extensively in my early 20s and I took a ton of photos. I also took a great amount of my canine companions which you probably saw my nick somewhere in canine forums if you happen to "lurk" there as well.

In any case, if you want something that you can improve upon (sort of like upgrading your mobile, computer etc), DSLR pose a better choice, even though the makers I mentioned above out play each other. I just saw the Sony A77 launched, and I wanna ditched my 5D2 already. 2 weeks later when Nikon launched their replacement models, I probably ditch the A77. October my 5D2 replacement is coming out... (anyway you get the idea).

DSLR gives you more "material" to study and play with. Having said that, P&S cam are also loaded with technology. One week I saw a super-zoom like 28-400 in a P&S and the other day I saw 1 manufacturer selling a f2.0 P&S! Even my $4k 5D2 doesn't have GPS but a $400 P&S has it. Again you get the idea.

Try talking to people who owned both....and don't talk to pros...they bored u with technical stuffs lol

Go to the Nikon showroom and hold the cameras there, take some photos, feel the cameras, one of them will feel just right and speak to you. The camera matters less than your skill. I see images from mobile phones that put some dslr users to shame

Hi swallow,

I was once in your shoes tryig to decide if I should get a DSLR and I would like to dispel the greatest myth on this forum: DSLRs DO help you to take better pictures.

It doesn't matter if you are JUST using the P (programmed) mode which is similar to Auto mode except that it doesn't pop the flash up all the time. It still gives much superior pictures than a PnS.

So go get one!

In my opinion, it's such a waste not to take pics on a DSLR when travelling. My sister travelled to different parts of Europe and only had a PnS with her then. She told me how beautiful the places were but the pictures didn't do the places justice.

I bought a DSLR for taking pictures of my kids and travelling. It's definitely bulky and heavy for me, but I wouldn't use a PnS ever since I first started using a DSLR because the quality is hard to let up. Before I knew more about the other modes, I was on A mode almost all the time. And although I know how to use the other modes now, I find myself using P mode most of the time. Why struggle to find the correct aperture, shutter speed or iso to use when the technology is there to help you, especially when you need to get a shot at an instant? A DSLR is not created to make picture-taking complicated. It's to help us take better pictures.

I am a technophobic so I held back exploring DSLRs for many years. The weight was also a consideration. In fact, it's the second most important factor besides the budget - for me. You need to hold the camera and see how you like holding each of them. I was set on getting either canon 50d or nikon 300. It was the trip down to the camera stores that made me realise carrying them would pose problems for me. I also realised that I preferred the ergonomics and the navigation of functions on nikon. However, if anyone were to ask me, I feel that I should also inform any potential nikon buyer that nikon services for warranty sucks - big time. As good as nil.You might want to think about aftersales service as well.

But where DSLRs are concerned, don't think too much. Go get one!

Last edited:
Hi sWalloW,

Just get one! You will not regret it... both D3100 and D5100 are fantastic. Personally, I think the D3100 is good enough since you are starting out but if you don't mind forking out about $200 more for the D5100, do get the D5100. The link will give you a very high level comparison between the 2 cameras which I believe will provide some insight http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-D5100-vs-Nikon_D3100 Hope it helps and happy shooting :)