Should i get a filter?

bragbig

Jun 6, 2010
Singapore / Woodlands
Some people tell me not to get a UV filter to protect my lens but some ask me to get a UV filter to protect my lens.

So should i get or should i not get to protect my lens?

You should always do your homework by searching online before asking you know. :nono:

This has been argued to death before - get filter to "protect" if you feel your lens is worth protecting; don't get it if the sharpness/image quality degradation bothers you. Note that good quality (a.k.a expensive) filters degrades the image quality less than bad, cheap filters.

Also, there is a case (in other forums) where the filter shattered and scratched the lens when the camera was dropped, making it a moot point about having filters "protect" the lens. On the other hand (again in other forums), someone dropped his camera, lens first, into the mud and was glad for the replaceable filter protection. :dunno:

Lastly, there will be some who will advise you to use the lens hood + lens cap for protection, as opposed to filters. Ultimately, it's your call, your choice.

a simple answer to your question is get a UV filter for the lens, and when the is some situations, the filter need to remove, just remove it.

like, causing flare or ghost image during night scene, or using another filter like CPL or ND filter etc...

hope this help.

its your choice ...

similar to hp protector .. if u wan to protect it then buy ... but u can remove ur filter easily ..
other than UV filter there are CPL or ND filter for diff purpose .. go google about it ...

If you are asking this then you do not need it.

Reason being, if you need it as you would think it reduces flare or protects lenses' front element then you would have bought one w/o asking...

Now that you are told, it could be different.
The final decision still lies in you.

any recommended brand to go for for newbie?
Should i get Hoya?
and how much a hoya UV filter course normally?

Just wondering, why did most ppl use uv filter instead of clear filter? Not only is clear filter cheaper than uv filter, it also allows more transmission of light (in theory)

Some people tell me not to get a UV filter to protect my lens but some ask me to get a UV filter to protect my lens.

So should i get or should i not get to protect my lens?

Based on my past case I dropped my lens and luckily I used filter on it so it only break the filter glass but not my lens and if you use filter when the glass dirty is only the filter glass that you need to clean not the lens glass.

also need to considerate when choosing your filter, cheap filter will degrade your IQ

but like arctos's said before, it is depends on you if you feel your lens is worth it then put filter on it. for me personally if it is only kit lens then I need not filter on it

Last edited:
IMO, i think duo uses ba... Can act as a protection and cut off UV rays.

But dslr sensors are not prone to uv rays, thats why some people recommend not using filter to maximise the transmission of light. Uv filter is more important for film slrs, thus the uv filters on Dslr are merely for protection purpose, which clear filters can do better due to lesser loss of light.

Last edited:
But dslr sensors are not prone to uv rays, thats why some people recommend not using filter to maximise the transmission of light. Uv filter is more important for film slrs, thus the uv filters on Dslr are merely for protection purpose, which clear filters can do better due to lesser loss of light.

Do you mean if I'm using DSLR then is better to use clear filter than UV filter?

Last edited:
My perspective:

Lens hood for impact protection. No need to elaborate.

UV/Clear filter for physical cleaning protection.
Honestly a good number of us (including me) are a lazy lot. Lens got smudge, dust etc, we use our shirt(or whatever fabric is available at that time) and just wipe it off. Wear and tear (if you're sway, got grit), will eventually leave scratches. That's where the filter comes in. To take the damage instead of the front element.

My 2 cents. :)

any recommended brand to go for for newbie?
Should i get Hoya?
and how much a hoya UV filter course normally?
Have you spend a few minutes searching and reading existing threads where members have discussed the topic already? Please give them some honour and read what has been written.
There is no newbie filter brand. Hoya is a decent brand. Prices can be found in the Price Guide and in the Mass Sales section. Further details about specs and features can be found on Hoya website. Please put some efforts in.
Also, it has been mentioned that UV filters are quite redundant. Reason: there is not much UV here around Singapore and the little remaining is blocked by lenses. Lastly, the sensor is not sensitive towards UV. For protection it's a personal decision. Front elements are less fragile than commonly assumed. Haven't seen anybody who uses additional protectors for spectacles - but all users wipe them several times per day using all kinds of stuffs.
Lens hoods are the better way, imho. They block stray light, don't cause any flare or ghosting and also serve as protectors. Good lenses come with lens hood in the box.

Last edited:
Why don't you just get a filter. If you feel like it, put it on, if not, then take it off.
Filters aren't expensive at all, if they are then photography isn't something you should invest in.

If you want to get a filter for protection, make sure you get a good one. Don't try to save here and get a cheapo one which will end up degrading your IQ immensely.

Sorry TS, hijack a while.... Bros, how much does a 67mm hoya hrt cpl + uv cost?

Get a filter if you want. Hoya, Kenko, Nikon, B+W are all brands favored by CSers here.

Sorry TS, hijack a while.... Bros, how much does a 67mm hoya hrt cpl + uv cost?

Maybe you should call up your favorite dealer.

I'm not sure if it is readily available though.