Should I get a DSLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cynovatron

Mar 9, 2006
dear DSLR users... wanna ask you all... when did you decide to get a DSLR??

its gonna burn a big hole in my pocket if i get one, and i've been working with Konica Minolta Z2 for about 2 years, and been taking some pictures (more of nature and landscape) during my treks... :)

The thing is... i'm primarily gonna use my camera for treks, and you know those waterfall treks lar... its been at least 5 occasions that i was holding the camera in my hand and i slip and fall and the neck strap is already in the water, left the camera 1 inch above the water! Hahha.. the camera is not surprisingly very "worn out" liao :cry: , and a bit bonkers (keep giving me overexposed pictures)...:think:

Should I burn that hole in my pocket? I'm going to Mount Kinabalu and Gunung Tahan this June! Dun wanna miss the sunrise and scenery there man~! :dunno:

If you were in my position, which DSLR would you get if you decide to buy one? I'm pro Canon lar, targeting 350D now, only because it is one of the cheapest, and the body is quite small - good for packing.

trekking? do you really need it? dc pics can do the same. but if you don't go into water, dslr would be good on certains parts.

How do you like the pics from your current cam?

If it's ment to be physically harsh... I recommend you get a DC wif those waterproof casings/protection thingys.

some PnS cameras are "splash-proof" like the olympus one... or the pentax? i forgot sorry... but with those... even if "accident" happens and you drop it into the water... quickly take out and dry should be ok... if you tend to "bathe" your camera..then i sugg you get a splash-proof one... or like someone sugg get a waterproof case to go with it...

I would guess that if you're willing to take your time making pictures when you're at a trek, you could indeed consider a dslr. If you just want to point and shoot, hence point-and-shoot, then why invest that large sum of money.

I did move from a sony v1 consumer p-a-s to that 350d you are planning to get. I must admid the pics are awesome compared to the sony. The downside however are the conditions I'm in every now and then. In these cases a consumer camera would be good enough too...

I will be going onto mt. Kinabalu at the 12th of september this year, hopefully capable to make some nice pics......

Thanks all for your advice! Good that you all discourage me. I'm waiting for that! ;p kekeke ;)

If I'm like you, go trekking and climbing often, I would get an ultra-compact for it's ease of carrying instead. Also, waterproof, some ultra compacts have this feature.

cynovatron said:
Thanks all for your advice! Good that you all discourage me. I'm waiting for that! ;p kekeke ;)
You know, when you need to add a "Should" to a question as such, you most likely don't need to ;p

get the olympus drop proof and waterprood camera!

drop proof from 1.5m and waterproof up to 3m. Solid one!

I suggest p n s......cos the trekking areas r veri veri moist. Mus take quite extreme care of a dslr.
Then gunung tahan is a 7 day trek if i'm not wrong. Carrying a heavy and cumbersome dslr is rather taxing. Takes time to shoot too... the guide might not wait for u.

Thanks!

Actually, I see this as an issue also. Everytime go trekking with "trekking people" - normally trek very fast, no time to go and slowly take pictures. Perhaps we could form an interest group for people who like to take photos AND trek! :bsmilie:

Yah loh.
I once went gunung ledang. The guide is like superman.....cant even c his shadow most of the time. By the time I took my camera out of my bag (mus leave hands free for climbing) to shoot sumting interesting, my pals wld be gone way in front too. So mus consider storage n accessibility of camera also.

get a DSLR..

im sure the cost of getting it, will be a good reminder to you to be careful..

i.e. no walking over slippery rocks in a stream with the camera out of the bag and in your hand...

if you are going trekking etc... there are a lot of good protective cases you can get for it.

and of course, if you are rich... canon L lenses are weather sealed..

yanyewkay said:
get the olympus drop proof and waterprood camera!

drop proof from 1.5m and waterproof up to 3m. Solid one!

Which camera are you talking about? Is it 720 model?

Can you give some feedback, I'm intending to get one.

Thanks.

jdredd said:
get a DSLR..

im sure the cost of getting it, will be a good reminder to you to be careful..

i.e. no walking over slippery rocks in a stream with the camera out of the bag and in your hand...

if you are going trekking etc... there are a lot of good protective cases you can get for it.

and of course, if you are rich... canon L lenses are weather sealed..

Madness, trekking Gunung Tahan is already hard enough just carrying food, tents and water. You wan to carry along an additional 3kg load. MADNESS

Unless u are paid to do that

Ren_Hao said:
Madness, trekking Gunung Tahan is already hard enough just carrying food, tents and water. You wan to carry along an additional 3kg load. MADNESS

Unless u are paid to do that

agree.......it is not the hardest trail in Malaysia for nothing. N there r times when u die die have to wade thru streams n rivers, no bypass(actually subject to season). dangerous for camera.

It can be done of course, birding photographers carry their superteles n stuff up mountains weighing up to 20kg extra. But do u want to do it?
http://singaporephoto.blogspot.com

act...getting a dslr now u hav to get used to it man...no point getting new stuff and gg all the way there juz to fumble with it and screw up...

Status
Not open for further replies.