Status
Not open for further replies.

Cliffy

Apr 16, 2006
Singapore, Ang Mo Kio
www.clifftan.com
Hello I am currently using my first and only digital camera, an Olympus C750UZ
c750uz-angle_300.jpg

I have been using it for 3 years and it has served me very well, all my pics were taken by this camera.

The question is, should I get a DSLR? If so, which one? I have been using Olympus, so I would be most comfortable using back the same brand. Anyway, I have developed feelings for my camera, and it would be very hard to move on...

Comments would be much appreciated

see if you really need a DSLR lor, for me i'm always covering events and taking pretty much studio and outdoor shoots so having a DSLR is definately a plus. You will also have to consider the costs, DSLR is not cheap. The lens and stuff is not cheap too..

I was in your shoes about 5 months ago......but when u see the picture quality, you know which one to pick.....;)

Well, it all depends on your choice of shots. And how you like to improve from there. Are the limitations ok to you, (meaning you can live with them and not bother about getting around them) If you are happy as things are, then dun bother.

But if you feel the urge of getting better pictures (with more control over each and every shot), then you would be willing to move on to a DSLR....

It'll be hard to answer your question since the decision is entirely up to you. Are there any particular things that you dislike about your current camera that want to see improved in your next camera? What are the main intentions for getting a DSLR? Are you looking for better quality, faster response times and greater flexibility to change lenses at the expense of markedly increased costs, weight and size?

On the next point, there's a few good brands of DSLRs on the internet, and all brands have their followers. Ask them why they chose that camera and they'll have plenty of things to say. In the end you should read lots of reviews and decide what is really perfect for your own interests.

Check these websites for more reviews:

www.dcresource.com
www.dpreview.com

Excellent sources, both of them...very detailed reviews complete with photo tests so that you can actually see the weaknesses and strengths of each system. Decide how much you want to commit also, and avoid buying an expensive system unless you're absolutely sure you will use it often enough to make it worth the cost. Also choose your brand carefully. It'll be expensive hopping from brand to brand, and awesomely troublesome.

Seriously... if you're asking this question, means you aren't ready for it and/or unsure what you're getting yourself into.

My advice is don't :)

My current camera is good, just that the quality is a tad poor, and gets frustrating at times, noise levels, sharpness, focusing, etc.

I take pics for fun, perhaps the most I do with them is enter them into photo contests.

Cliffy said:
My current camera is good, just that the quality is a tad poor, and gets frustrating at times, noise levels, sharpness, focusing, etc.

I take pics for fun, perhaps the most I do with them is enter them into photo contests.

Well, have a think over it...how serious are you in photography? If you can stomach the cost and will use your equipment often enough, it's probably okay to take the step, considering there is some definite improvement in terms of the technical things that you mentioned. But do be aware that buying into a SLR system is like stepping down into a slippery slope. It's expensive and very dangerous. Once you've actually bought the camera, think carefully before venturing into costly lenses and accessories.

It is exactly the cost that is deterring me from taking this step.

At least I know that I will not give up photography, it will stick with me for the rest of my life I guess. Still, it will simply be a hobby, a life-long hobby, perhaps a sideline job at most. I think it would be safe to say that I am serious about it.:)

Anyway, what is the major difference between a DSLR and a prosumer like the one I am using right now? Both capture photos, and both have maunal settings...

Perhaps the answer to that question will determine how much I would need a dslr, if there is even a need so to speak of...

Cliffy said:
It is exactly the cost that is deterring me from taking this step.
Beware, a D200 user that purchased his D200 from me has so far spent well over $8K on other glasses/accessories within 1 month.

Cliffy said:
Anyway, what is the major difference between a DSLR and a prosumer like the one I am using right now? Both capture photos, and both have maunal settings...
  • AF Speed
  • WYSIWYG
  • Minimal Shutter lag
  • Extensive range of glasses to choose/use from
  • Very much higher Dynamic Range
  • Way better output as compared to DCs
  • and the list goes on...

Cliffy said:
Perhaps the answer to that question will determine how much I would need a dslr, if there is even a need so to speak of...
It isn't even a fair fight when you compare eggs and rocks... DSLRs are by far more powerful & better in output than DCs. Even the older D30, D60, D100, D1H will still outperform any new DCs.

Cliffy said:
Fair enough, It is now a matter of

WHEN should I get a DSLR :)
Next you need to look out for is the entire system as a whole and how it will benefit you and give you what you want.

espn said:
Next you need to look out for is the entire system as a whole and how it will benefit you and give you what you want.

Ah...that I'll need to research on.

Personally I like architecture/urban photography

Cliffy said:
Fair enough, It is now a matter of

WHEN should I get a DSLR :)

Do a lot of research on what a DSLR camera can do and compare it with the camera you already have, what you need for a DSLR system and also their various costs (body, lenses, flash, tripod, battery grip, filters, adapters, etc.).

Hang around this forum, take a look at the various photos taken by a DSLR and take note of the lens used (very important because the lens have a major impact on the picture quality and even mid-range lenses are not cheap .... in excess of $1000 each easily) and go around the internet reading reviews of DSLR bodies.

Only then, you can make an informed decision. After being informed, if you feel that the benefits of having a DSLR camera outweighs its costs, then switch. In this regard, you need to know what you use your camera to shoot mostly and what function/capability your camera should have.

I'm just 1 year into photography and have been using a prosumer camera Nikon 5700 from the start but I think it will cost me no less than $5K to get an entry DSLR + the lenses I want. So I'm still staying put with my prosumer cam until my penchant for a better camera outweighs my love for $5K cash in hand.

Only you can decide for yourself.

Cliffy said:
Ah...that I'll need to research on.

Personally I like architecture/urban photography

i bliff wat espn means by system is regard to nikon canon olympus and etc brands.

they provide different kinds of equipments depending on yr needs.

for me i choose nikon over canon due to the gripping of the camera.
nikon gives me much greater control when in terms of gripping. thats for me. but perhaps u would choose canon or other systems for other reasons. do think over it carefully

:)

Cliffy said:
Okay, this may sound stupid, but arn't the provided lenses enough?

It all depends on what you want to shoot and what kind of picture quality you desire.

The kit lens only cover a small range of focal length. You may need wide angle, normal, tele/long zoom and macro lenses. The better wide and long lenses are very expensive because the former is hard to make and the latter needs large glasses. 2 two together can cost over $3K easily.

Cliffy said:
Okay, this may sound stupid, but arn't the provided lenses enough?

Well the idea of getting a DSLR/SLR is to have the flexibility to use different lens for your different photography needs.

The kits lens provided may be good enough for your current need. But as your photography interest grow, you will find that some lens are better suits your needs.

Venturing into DSLR gear is not cheap, especially lens.

May I suggest you try to borrow a DSLR from your friend for a week and try out if it fits your need.

Hi Cliffy. Actually you can give some thought to the Sony R1; if you are worried of over-spending after quality lenses. Since the Sony R1 comes with a Carl Zeiss 24-120mm range, quite useful for hobbyist. Except that it be slower than DSLR when you want to shoot in raw format. And it is bigger that your current DC, about the same size as a DSLR.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.