Should I get a DSLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just share some thoughts with u here.
Here are some reasons I bought a DSLR.

1) Higher ISO, low noise.
2) Fast AF speed.
3) Little shutter lag.
4) Real through the eyes viewfinder, and not EVF.
5) Interchangeable lens.
6) Great DOF control. Nice bokeh.

I would strongly recommend a Nikon D50, though u would like to stick to Olympus brand.
The 18-55mm kit lens is enough for you to familiarise with your camera, but I'm sure
you will buy more soon.

A 18-200mm VR f3.5-5.6G. (One lens cover almost all. Good for travelling and general use.)
A 50mm f1.8D. (If u shoot portrait and like the DOF)
An electric dry cabinet. (must buy)
A SB600 flashlight. (optional)
A remote control. (optional)

All these will cost u approx. S$3000++
Of coz if your will power is not strong,
then the BBB virus will strike u :devil:
U will definitely end up spending more than that. :bsmilie:

yup, the virus will sure come to you. I already spent quite a bit already!:bigeyes:

Cliffy said:
My current camera is good, just that the quality is a tad poor, and gets frustrating at times, noise levels, sharpness, focusing, etc.

I take pics for fun, perhaps the most I do with them is enter them into photo contests.

change to a new camera. Some people improve their pictures (shoot more?) becos they have a new camera to play with.

Not necessary a DSLR.

I won't tell you if you should get a DSLR or not. Its just another type of tool. If you think you need/want it and you can afford it, why not?

However, many misguided people believe that once they get a DSLR, their picures will be better overnight. Don't be one of them. Also, you've got to prioritise your budget. Don't spend most of your money on a body and then match it with a lousy lense. For architectural stuff, a wide angle is almost your bread and butter lense and they don't usually come cheap so beware.

For other accessories, a flash is almost useless to you. Having a remote control is good but not necessary. Just use the in-camera timer to get your way around. Buildings don't run away. Instead, spend your money on a sturdy tripod and a 3 way pan head or gear head.

Invest some time reading photography books that impart techniques and compositional skills will help you a great deal too.

obewan said:
Just share some thoughts with u here.
Here are some reasons I bought a DSLR.

1) Higher ISO, low noise.
2) Fast AF speed.
3) Little shutter lag.
4) Real through the eyes viewfinder, and not EVF.
5) Interchangeable lens.
6) Great DOF control. Nice bokeh.

I would strongly recommend a Nikon D50, though u would like to stick to Olympus brand.
The 18-55mm kit lens is enough for you to familiarise with your camera, but I'm sure
you will buy more soon.

A 18-200mm VR f3.5-5.6G. (One lens cover almost all. Good for travelling and general use.)
A 50mm f1.8D. (If u shoot portrait and like the DOF)
An electric dry cabinet. (must buy)
A SB600 flashlight. (optional)
A remote control. (optional)

All these will cost u approx. S$3000++
Of coz if your will power is not strong,
then the BBB virus will strike u :devil:
U will definitely end up spending more than that. :bsmilie:

Your reasons for upgrading to a DSLR are the same as mine.

After encountering limitations of my prosumer camera in many shooting situations, I was on the verge of buying a DSLR. But then, after doing some research, I realised that I would have to spend at least $5K for my wanted DSLR set up with an entry level body, some better lenses, flash and tripod.

So I still sticking with my prosumer for the time being until I can't resist the urge. After wasting thousands of $ on audio and video camera systems in the past, I'm now more disciplined with my money. :sweatsm:

After temporarily discarding the thought of upgrading to a DSLR, I'm actually relishing the challenge of having better composition in my photos as it makes me think about their composition and shooting angle and height when I see other people's photos and try to understand why they work or don't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.