Should I get a DSLR, and is now a good time?

arctos

Jun 2, 2008
Singapore
Hi guys, as per the thread title, I'm wondering if I should get a DSLR (e620 in particular), and assuming the consensus is yes, would it be a good time to buy now with Photokina looming in September?

I've been wanting to learn photography with a dslr since three years back, but it was pretty expensive back then (~$1.5k brand new) so I ended up with an Olympus SP-570UZ instead. While I quite liked the camera colours and functionality, the weight (4 AAs x2 for spares), focusing speed, and ISO capabilities (or lack of it) made me want to bring it out less and less, to the point that I've only brought it out less than 3 times in the past 6 months, and only for family gatherings.

Then came the e620, which I thought was a very good dslr for me - small, swivel screen, Olympus colours, no need to keep track of differing crop factors or lens mount... but I couldn't justify buying it when I know my prosumer has been gradually reduced to sitting around and "growing mould".

So now, on the brink of a dying photography interest (am considering selling the SP-570UZ after my next family gathering), I wonder if I should buy the e620 to push myself to renew my interest? Excuses such as "bulky and heavy, lazy to bring out", "no time to go practice or go on group shoots", "expensive to buy and upkeep" still looms large on my personal radar, which makes me think that maybe I should just give it up altogether.

Any advice or past experience to share?

If size and weight is an issue to you why not consider the m4/3 system instead?

Hmm... because it uses the LCD/EVF? I don't own a DSLR so I can't vouch for it myself, but it seems that OVF is better in bright daylight or dark situations? (As in, easier for the person behind the camera to see what they're shooting at.) If not for the OVF-EVF debate, the m4/3 cameras would seem like a fun way to start indeed. That, and that the m4/3 road-map doesn't seem confirmed yet...

Hmm... because it uses the LCD/EVF? I don't own a DSLR so I can't vouch for it myself, but it seems that OVF is better in bright daylight or dark situations? (As in, easier for the person behind the camera to see what they're shooting at.) If not for the OVF-EVF debate, the m4/3 cameras would seem like a fun way to start indeed. That, and that the m4/3 road-map doesn't seem confirmed yet...

OVF vs LCD...

In bright day with sun, LCD can get washed out. OVF works better.

In low light esp long exposure shots, what your eyes strain to see, you will have harder time in OVF. LCD might work better.

If you get a EVF and LCD, will be best of both worlds, but you might see a slight lag, and it consumes a lot of juice from your batteries.

So, in the end it is your call.

Hi guys, as per the thread title, I'm wondering if I should get a DSLR (e620 in particular), and assuming the consensus is yes, would it be a good time to buy now with Photokina looming in September?

I've been wanting to learn photography with a dslr since three years back, but it was pretty expensive back then (~$1.5k brand new) so I ended up with an Olympus SP-570UZ instead. While I quite liked the camera colours and functionality, the weight (4 AAs x2 for spares), focusing speed, and ISO capabilities (or lack of it) made me want to bring it out less and less, to the point that I've only brought it out less than 3 times in the past 6 months, and only for family gatherings.

Then came the e620, which I thought was a very good dslr for me - small, swivel screen, Olympus colours, no need to keep track of differing crop factors or lens mount... but I couldn't justify buying it when I know my prosumer has been gradually reduced to sitting around and "growing mould".

So now, on the brink of a dying photography interest (am considering selling the SP-570UZ after my next family gathering), I wonder if I should buy the e620 to push myself to renew my interest? Excuses such as "bulky and heavy, lazy to bring out", "no time to go practice or go on group shoots", "expensive to buy and upkeep" still looms large on my personal radar, which makes me think that maybe I should just give it up altogether.

Any advice or past experience to share?
A DSLR will definitely be heavier than that prosumer, so think carefully before you spend that money. The resale value ain't great...

As an upgrader from a prosumer, here are my reasons why I took the plunge:

1) Much more solid and better grip on the camera. Everything felt nicely balanced. In fact, even though my D80 is significantly heavier than my Lumix FZ10, the larger grip area made it much more comfortable to hold for extended periods.

2) Much much faster, and more accurate auto-focus.

3) Almost everything can be adjusted really quickly, with a button push and turn of a dial. It was a bit bewildering at first, but I can't give it up now.

4) The interchangeability of lenses means you can get the right one to suit your requirements

5) Array of accessories to further enhance the shooting experience

6) incredible battery life. I once went on a 4 day holiday and never had to whip out my spare batt. Granted, I didn't fire it like a GPMG, but even with reviewing shots on LCD, I got at least 500+ to 600 shots.

A DSLR will definitely be heavier than that prosumer, so think carefully before you spend that money. The resale value ain't great...

Just to clarify on this particular Olympus prosumer - at 445g without batteries (4 AA), it should be close to the e620 at 475g (using li-ion battery) unless I'm attaching some heavy-weight lenses. :sweat: And the e620 is already among the lightest dslr around (excluding m4/3 series).

And yes, it is precisely because of the resale value that I'm wondering if I should buy a dslr (maybe 2nd hand) to continue, or just dump the prosumer and forget all about it.

Just to clarify on this particular Olympus prosumer - at 445g without batteries (4 AA), it should be close to the e620 at 475g (using li-ion battery) unless I'm attaching some heavy-weight lenses. :sweat: And the e620 is already among the lightest dslr around (excluding m4/3 series).

And yes, it is precisely because of the resale value that I'm wondering if I should buy a dslr (maybe 2nd hand) to continue, or just dump the prosumer and forget all about it.
Does photography give you joy and/or excitement...? Do you feel happy, or a sense of satisfaction when you take a good photo? Do you feel the urge to improve when you take a crappy photo?
When you are heading out of the house and considering whether to bring your camera along, are you thinking:
"I wonder if I can get any nice shots today."
or
"I wonder if I'll even use the camera today."
???

Does photography give you joy and/or excitement...? Do you feel happy, or a sense of satisfaction when you take a good photo? Do you feel the urge to improve when you take a crappy photo?
Yes. Although that seems to have taken a backseat with all my current other commitments...

When you are heading out of the house and considering whether to bring your camera along, are you thinking:
"I wonder if I can get any nice shots today."
or
"I wonder if I'll even use the camera today."
???
"I wonder if I can get any nice shots today." - provided I even managed to convince myself past the "damn my bag's heavy. Maybe I should just leave the camera at home." (Assuming you are talking about general heading out, and not dedicated photowalks, which I haven't done in a long time due to all my other distractions.)

Yes. Although that seems to have taken a backseat with all my current other commitments...

"I wonder if I can get any nice shots today." - provided I even managed to convince myself past the "damn my bag's heavy. Maybe I should just leave the camera at home." (Assuming you are talking about general heading out, and not dedicated photowalks, which I haven't done in a long time due to all my other distractions.)

if you have a lot of such thoughts, I would advise you to hold back the DSLR purchase.

When I'm going out for some non-photography trip, I will try to grab my D80 + 35/1.8 and SB400 (which can all fit into a topload bag), thinking "maybe I can catch some nice shots of my friends/family today"

If you are banking on the new gear to sustain your interest in photography then i think don't bother because at most it will only pique your interest for a few weeks before your other commitments reassert themselves again in your life. Upgrade only when your current gear cannot produce the kind of pictures you desire and your ability can produce, not to perk up a flagging interest. A better remedy is to surround yourself with like-minded individuals with a passion for photography. Just my opinion of course, coming from someone who's been on and off at this wonderful hobby. ;)

Last edited:
if you have a lot of such thoughts, I would advise you to hold back the DSLR purchase.

If you are banking on the new gear to sustain your interest in photography then i think don't bother because at most it will only pique your interest for a few weeks before your other commitments reassert themselves again in your life. Upgrade only when your current gear cannot produce the kind of pictures you desire and your ability can produce, not to perk up a flagging interest. A better remedy is to surround yourself with like-minded individuals with a passion for photography. Just my opinion of course, coming from someone who's been on and off at this wonderful hobby. ;)

Haha thanks for re-affirming my suspicions. Guess I should hold off the purchase for now and be content with my little point and shoot. :)

Thanks for the help everyone!

the sony nex5 looks mightily interesting. lightweight, quite small, very capable high iso.

You need to try it to know whether DSLR is suitable for you. DSLR, being bigger will weigh heavier than P&S, DSLR has its merits too.

For me, I like DSLR, especially in cold countries when I'm wearing thick gloves, the well layout control buttons are a real bonus, and also faster focus, is another reason I prefer DSLR.

Give it a try, else can sell away any time.

Last edited:
Hint to ur're family members/friends etc to get u a dslr for your birthday.....include brand and model....

When I'm going out for some non-photography trip, I will try to grab my D80 + 35/1.8 and SB400 (which can all fit into a topload bag), thinking "maybe I can catch some nice shots of my friends/family today"

i'll even bring my fastpack 100 with d90 + 50/1.8 just to shoot my 5yrs old son at west coast park :)

i'll even bring my fastpack 100 with d90 + 50/1.8 just to shoot my 5yrs old son at west coast park :)
exactly... so if one cannot be motivated to grab the DSLR along, best not to buy. What good is the best camera in the world if it's left sitting in the dry cabinet 90% of the time?

If you can carry your 1-2kg laptop on your bag, a DSLR wouldn't be a problem :)
It is fine to be a camwhore or a random candid snapper with it! actually it is funner w DSLR than point and shoot

Hint to ur're family members/friends etc to get u a dslr for your birthday.....include brand and model....
Haha I tried that for many years. The reply? "Go buy it yourself." :bsmilie:

exactly... so if one cannot be motivated to grab the DSLR along, best not to buy. What good is the best camera in the world if it's left sitting in the dry cabinet 90% of the time?
If you can carry your 1-2kg laptop on your bag, a DSLR wouldn't be a problem :)
It is fine to be a camwhore or a random candid snapper with it! actually it is funner w DSLR than point and shoot

I know... but my family doesn't have a car, so it's always public transport for me and I don't have the physique to lug 2+kg bags around all day. (Actually, I never bring my laptop out unless it's absolutely necessary for work. And when I do, it's always in a separate laptop bag.)

I know... but my family doesn't have a car, so it's always public transport for me and I don't have the physique to lug 2+kg bags around all day. (Actually, I never bring my laptop out unless it's absolutely necessary for work. And when I do, it's always in a separate laptop bag.)

thats why regular photographer need to go gym, like numnumball! lol