Should i get a dry cabinet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mercy81

Nov 4, 2008
May i know is a dry box sufficient to keep my camera body and kit lens dry?

I only have a kit lens and basic camera body.

Is it advisable to buy a dry cabinet for just 2 equipments?

Yes is recommend to get one dry cabi as on the way you may buy more item for you cam
a 6olit or 80lit i think is good enough 60lit AHC about $188 80lit AHC about $200 plus and 60lit DHC about $200 plus and 80lis DHC about $320.:bsmilie:

For now, a dry box is sufficient; but a dry cabinet is more of a long-term investment. Unless you will never buy another piece of gear (and "never" is a long time), a drycabi is a good investment. Better keep that fungus off than cry when it hits.

Yes.

Also, you might enjoy the instant gratification of using the search function next time! ;p

i suggest at least a dry box first to keep ur body and lens since they are still small in size if your next purchase is still a long time away. But if you are the buy buy buy type than a dry cabi should be next on ur shopping list.

For myself, I am still using my $25buck dry box with a hyrometer and silicon gel for the time being since I dun have much stuff.

Yes it is.

Happy shooting.

I don't advise that. When u really find it a hassle using ur dry box (e.g. changing silica beads, etc), then u consider. It's still not late by then. Just use what u have now.

Might as well buy a dry cabinet from day 1 & "recoup" the investment sooner. Get a digital one, easier to adjust.

A must buy.

You will find more uses for the dry cab as time passes ... P&S cams, Mobile Phones, Filters and even computer parts, in fact any electronic items small enough to fit!

Fungus doesn't bother if it's just 'basic body' or high grade lenses. The question is what you can afford and what you are willing to put in as efforts (changing silica gel vs. adjusting a knob or dial with 5W power consumption). Keep in mind that your equipment can grow in future but also that you can use the dry cabinet for other things that need controlled storage (e.g. documents). A cabinet also offers some 'structured storage', easier to keep all gear tidy in one place.

Will there be discount during SITEX for dry cabinet(for those who bought from previous exhibition)? If there is, then it's better for you to get it during Sitex (end of this month).

Last edited:
just get a 30L for $99 from digicabi, offer period
comes with 5yrs warranty

Oh where is digicabi? are u refering to www.digihub.com.sg?
Oh u mean digicabi is a brand where i can get from any outlets..?
Yup i was thinking whether PC fair any discount or not lol.

Fungus doesn't bother if it's just 'basic body' or high grade lenses. ...

sorry, a bit confused reading this.
does this mean that fungus will never be present in high grade lenses?
:dunno:

sorry, a bit confused reading this.
does this mean that fungus will never be present in high grade lenses?
:dunno:

No, the other way: fungus will be present in ALL lenses, regardless whether high grade or kit lenses, if you don't take precautions.

If you don't see yourself expanding your equipment any time soon, a dry box may be a better bet. <S$20, available at most camera shops in Sim Lim Square and Funan. If you want to save even more in this recession, you can use a Tupperware box and silica gel.

There is a saying penny wise, pound foolish.
Get a proper storage for your equipment.

Would like to ask. If I store my gears in a dry box, do i still need to put silica gel in it?

If.........

suay suay your camera and lens all have fungus, the clearing cost is more than enough for you to buy a small dry cabinet and pay many months of electricity cost of the dry cabinet..

btw, raining seasons is coming.

If.........

suay suay your camera and lens all have fungus, the clearing cost is more than enough for you to buy a small dry cabinet and pay many months of electricity cost of the dry cabinet..

btw, raining seasons is coming.
already been raining for the pass few days...

Is a dry box really that bad? I have used a dry box before, and found it satisfactory. When paired with a small bucket of "Thirsty Hippo", the hydrometer reads 30%. That's a little overdoing it, apparently, but it seems to protect my gear alright. My dad has been using the Tupperware solution before I was born. No issues there either. I truly believe it a simple matter of managing the humidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.